Jump to content

2020 College Football


MJWalker45
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, crashcarson15 said:

Northwestern also has the benefit of being in a division where nobody recruits particularly well; the talent gap they have to make up against Nebraska and Wisconsin (the best recruiters in the B1G West) is so, so, so much smaller than the talent gap Vandy has to make up with Florida and Georgia in the SEC East (not to mention Tennessee or even South Carolina).

 

Northwestern has had its share of success because they have a corny coach who’s an alum that fits them perfectly and who nobody else really wants to hire anyway, and also because you can do things like be an awful offensive football team and win games 17-13 regularly in the B1G West. Vanderbilt doesn’t really have … any of that, especially not when Florida and Georgia both seem to have a (big picture) pulse.

I think if Fitzgerald ever left they'd fall off. But that division helps keep them around the middle to the top of the league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vanderbilt fires football coach Derek Mason during 0-8 campaign (espn.com)

 

"Mason had a 27-55 record in his sixth season at Vanderbilt. He is the sixth-winningest coach in program history and only the second to lead the Commodores to two bowl games." - Actual quote from the article.

 

That's... pretty sad.


Also:
 

FSU is already the Lolcow of the last decade in College Football. No excuses for there failing. They set themselves up for destruction and now being punished for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JayMac said:

Now that my beloved 2020 Nittany Lions have won a damn game, I'd like to think they have moved out of that bottom tier...for now.

 

Michigan was supposed to take a step back, Sparty looked to have a rebuild underway...what's your excuse (other than consecutive losses to IU and Ohio State broke Penn State's will and the team just quit on the year.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took a bus from Phoenix to Dallas once and was so happy when we got to El Paso, not even really realizing that we weren’t even half way there yet. You can’t really comprehend just how enormous Texas is until you have to drive through it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, rams80 said:

 

Michigan was supposed to take a step back, Sparty looked to have a rebuild underway...what's your excuse (other than consecutive losses to IU and Ohio State broke Penn State's will and the team just quit on the year.)

Excuse? The REASON for Penn State's failure was that they were already massively overrated for this season. Realistically, they were a 6-3 team, at best. I said that losing to the Hoosiers was going to devastate this team. I knew they would start 0-2 and the hole could get bigger. 

 

I don't make any excuses for this team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I took a bus from Phoenix to Dallas once and was so happy when we got to El Paso, not even really realizing that we weren’t even half way there yet. You can’t really comprehend just how enormous Texas is until you have to drive through it.

Drove from San Antonio to Arizona last week. Hitting El Paso made me happy because I was only 4 hours away from my destination on the way out. It was strange to see the signs for exits to Mexico stating they were closed though. 

 

Speaking of, the Sun Bowl has been cancelled this year as El Paso has not reacted well to the pandemic. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30427611/sources-sun-bowl-first-1935

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I took a bus from Phoenix to Dallas once and was so happy when we got to El Paso, not even really realizing that we weren’t even half way there yet. You can’t really comprehend just how enormous Texas is until you have to drive through it.

 

  • You are closer to Jacksonville and the Atlantic at the Texas/Louisiana state line than you are to the Texas/New Mexico state line near El Paso. 
  • You are closer to San Diego and the Pacific at the Texas/New Mexico state line near El Paso than you are to the Texas/Louisiana state line.

 

Reminds me of when I went to Trinity University in San Antonio for my freshman year in 1982.  Roomed with my best friend, also from suburban New Orleans.  After about a month there I mentioned that one weekend we should take my car and drive over to the west coast, to Los Angeles. He laughed and proceeded to show me on a map how far it actually was, and that El Paso was as far away from us (about 9 hours)  as New Orleans had been.   In my mind's eye I guess it was sort of like the classic cover picture from the New Yorker: 'oh, it's just  a little further to the west' :
new-yorker-march-29-1976-saul-steinberg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

 

  • You are closer to Jacksonville and the Atlantic at the Texas/Louisiana state line than you are to the Texas/New Mexico state line near El Paso. 
  • You are closer to San Diego and the Pacific at the Texas/New Mexico state line near El Paso than you are to the Texas/Louisiana state line.

 

Reminds me of when I went to Trinity University in San Antonio for my freshman year in 1982.  Roomed with my best friend, also from suburban New Orleans.  After about a month there I mentioned that one weekend we should take my car and drive over to the west coast, to Los Angeles. He laughed and proceeded to show me on a map how far it actually was, and that El Paso was as far away from us (about 9 hours)  as New Orleans had been.   In my mind's eye I guess it was sort of like the classic cover picture from the New Yorker: 'oh, it's just  a little further to the west' :
new-yorker-march-29-1976-saul-steinberg.

There's a reason I stopped in Van Horn on my trip last week. LOL!!!! It's only 6 hours away

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2020 at 12:21 AM, FiddySicks said:

I took a bus from Phoenix to Dallas once and was so happy when we got to El Paso, not even really realizing that we weren’t even half way there yet. You can’t really comprehend just how enormous Texas is until you have to drive through it.

 

QFT...and I've driven the breadth of it on 10 from NM to LA (not to mention 10 to 20 to 30 through DFW towards AR) AND 35 to 45 to 59/69 from Gainesville to Brownsville. We won't talk about TX-6 & 36 from Rotan (ever heard of it? Neither have the gila monsters) back to Houston.

 

There's a reason TX gets labeled as a logistical "black hole" 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, heavybass said:

Coastal have to beat Louisiana to be guaranteed a New Year's Bowl

Ahem Cincinnati would like a word.

 

But yeah, who would have thought Mormons vs Mullets to be the big game so far. A lot of people said that BYU should have been ahead of Cincinnati and now that BYU agreed to play Coastal Carolina this week and lost makes me happy as a Cincinnati fan. But Cincinnati needs to beat Tulsa twice. If that happens I think Cincinnati might actually have a shot at a 4 seed in the playoff. I think the results of the ACC, SEC and BIg Ten Championship games would be enough to knock one of those teams out of the playoff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2020 at 11:48 AM, MJWalker45 said:

There's a reason I stopped in Van Horn on my trip last week. LOL!!!! It's only 6 hours away

 

Only exists because there would be literally nothing on the interstate for 100 miles if it didn't.  (Shudders at memories)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, rams80 said:

 

Only exists because there would be literally nothing on the interstate for 100 miles if it didn't.  (Shudders at memories)

Yup. Ft. Stockton is 100 miles one way and El Paso is 100 miles the other way. LOL!!! It's amazing how many ghost towns sit right off the highway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.