2020 College Football

MJWalker45

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't have a problem with what the Big Ten is doing if the Playoff Committee weren't willing to overlook Ohio State only playing six games.  They can crown their champion however they want but changing the rules to help a team get into the playoff is sketchy.  I don't think Ohio State's looked good enough to get a pass, frankly, and given their recent history of losing as a heavy favorite, we shouldn't just assume they would have won out if there were four more games on their schedule.

IUe6Hvh.png

39 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

With Indiana possibly unable to play in the championship as well, this pretty much tied their hands. Next team up would have been 2-4 Michigan State or 2-4 Michigan. I'd still like them to try to get them a 6th game this weekend if it were possible. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

With Indiana possibly unable to play in the championship as well, this pretty much tied their hands. Next team up would have been 2-4 Michigan State or 2-4 Michigan. I'd still like them to try to get them a 6th game this weekend if it were possible. 

The SEC said they're willing to let A&M play an OOC opponent if it helps their resume, Ohio State should take them up on that.  But I doubt the Big Ten would let Ohio State risk their unearned playoff spot.

IUe6Hvh.png

14 minutes ago, See Red said:

The SEC said they're willing to let A&M play an OOC opponent if it helps their resume, Ohio State should take them up on that.  But I doubt the Big Ten would let Ohio State risk their unearned playoff spot.

They've already bent backwards to give the Buckeyes a chance, no way they'll let them play someone with a pulse like Texas A&M... even though the hype for this game would be like BYU at Coastal Carolina times 500.

1 minute ago, See Red said:

Both leagues would step back from this. I know it'd make for a good game but when the SEC refuses to allow A&M to play Texas in a bowl game, I doubt they want to risk the possibility of a third team getting in to the playoffs if there's a blowout in the ACC championship and Ohio State loses in the Big Ten championship. And it's not the league itself, it's the fans. Sankey himself said there's probably no way it happens:

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/11/sec-commissioner-greg-swankey-casts-doubt-ohio-state-football-play/

And I don't see why Ohio State's position is unearned. Because they played less games? The Big Ten for years has said the SEC, and now ACC, playing FCS teams in November was unfair and needed to be punished. Is it fair? Maybe not but it didn't bother the committee when comparing games at the end of the year. The committee apparently is treating the lack of games for the Big Ten and Pac-12 in the same vein. Other than the Indiana game, Ohio State has won by double digits, including a 52-12 win over Michigan State last weekend. They're also #5 in total offense and #4 in PPG. They do allow 23.2 PPG though. which is 1 point more than Texas A&M. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Both leagues would step back from this. I know it'd make for a good game but when the SEC refuses to allow A&M to play Texas in a bowl game, I doubt they want to risk the possibility of a third team getting in to the playoffs if there's a blowout in the ACC championship and Ohio State loses in the Big Ten championship. And it's not the league itself, it's the fans. Sankey himself said there's probably no way it happens:

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/11/sec-commissioner-greg-swankey-casts-doubt-ohio-state-football-play/

And I don't see why Ohio State's position is unearned. Because they played less games? The Big Ten for years has said the SEC, and now ACC, playing FCS teams in November was unfair and needed to be punished. Is it fair? Maybe not but it didn't bother the committee when comparing games at the end of the year. The committee apparently is treating the lack of games for the Big Ten and Pac-12 in the same vein. Other than the Indiana game, Ohio State has won by double digits, including a 52-12 win over Michigan State last weekend. They're also #5 in total offense and #4 in PPG. They do allow 23.2 PPG though. which is 1 point more than Texas A&M. 

DUH! The top three (Alabama, Notre Dame and Clemson) have played double the games that Ohio State has this season and the CFP committee has said that the amount of games a team has played this season matters.

An Ohio State team with only 6 games and a Big Ten title probably doesn't look as strong as, say, a Florida team with 10 wins and the SEC title or Iowa State with 9 wins and the Big XII title.

2 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

An Ohio State team with only 6 games and a Big Ten title probably doesn't look as strong as, say, a Florida team with 10 wins and the SEC title or Iowa State with 9 wins and the Big XII title.

I'd agree with you, but I think the committee thinks Ohio State is doing well with the eye test, barring that fourth quarter against Indiana, and overall in that game when they gave up 500 yards passing while holding them to negative yards rushing. I also think had they beaten Texas A&M, Florida is probably in 4th instead of Ohio State at this point. Iowa State still has the albatross of a loss to Louisiana-Lafayette on their record and Oklahoma has the loss to Kansas State. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Indiana would have played.  If Ohio State could turn it around in a week, Indiana would have too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd agree with you, but I think the committee thinks Ohio State is doing well with the eye test, barring that fourth quarter against Indiana, and overall in that game when they gave up 500 yards passing while holding them to negative yards rushing. I also think had they beaten Texas A&M, Florida is probably in 4th instead of Ohio State at this point. Iowa State still has the albatross of a loss to Louisiana-Lafayette on their record and Oklahoma has the loss to Kansas State. 

The Buckeye's only win over a team with a winning record was at home by 7. Coastal Carolina has more Top 25 wins than tOSU.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

The Buckeye's only win over a team with a winning record was at home by 7. Coastal Carolina has more Top 25 wins than tOSU.

And the committee has refused to acknowledge Coastal.

3 minutes ago, WJMorris3 said:

So here's a question. Would anyone be opposed to a two-loss Clemson making it if the other three teams are an unbeaten Alabama, an unbeaten Ohio State, and, say, a one-loss Texas A&M?

Yes, because it places an undefeated ACC Champion outside the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Indiana would have played.  If Ohio State could turn it around in a week, Indiana would have too.

It depends on how large the spread is and who had it. If the QB room was affected they wouldn't be able to play. With both teams cancelling it was probably pretty widespread.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

I mean... I think Ohio State is getting by here on name alone since their resume is unimpressive but they would beat Coastal Carolina very comfortably.

Regarding the question posed by Will, yes, everyone would be opposed.  Clemson should be done for if they lose.  But they'll get first loss excused because Trevor Lawrence was hurt even though that wasn't on Uiagalelei, who played about as well as Trevor Lawrence likely would have.  Especially after the ACC bowed down for them and Notre Dame by not making them play their makeup games.

edit: I didn't even process how insane Will's question was... yes, everyone would be opposed to two-loss Clemson getting in over the undefeated team that beat them twice.

IUe6Hvh.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Yes, because it places an undefeated ACC Champion outside the playoffs.

See, I'm trying to avoid being biased in favor of Notre Dame, given I'm a Notre Dame fan. I would be ecstatic if they were to play in, say, the Orange Bowl against Florida.

LvZYtbZ.png

From what I can gather from tOSU sources it seems like the B10's thought process at today's meeting went like this...

First, they discussed moving games around to find a way to get the idle but healthy teams they will undoubtedly have sitting around this weekend together so Ohio State could get to six games. As this discussion became more and more convaluted and complicated, it occurred to somebody they were bending over backwards to create a game that Ohio State could conceivably lose by five touchdowns and it wouldn't matter, as they have the tiebreaker over everyone in the division. In other words, working their asses off for a completely meaningless game. On top of that, if tOSU is disqualified, and Indiana cancels for covid, two win Michigan State become the east representative. Comedy insues.

Also, the six game minimum was put in place to make sure a team couldn't cherry pick their way through their schedule, covid-opt out of the tougher games, and get to the championship with four or five wins. Safe to say, they didn't see this coming.

I get why people are annoyed. No one cares if Ohio State feels screwed... in fact, I'm sure most people would love it. But the real issue is whether or not Ohio State gets in the playoffs and that's out of the B10's hands.  If you don't like that, blame the selection committee, if it even happens.

33 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

And the committee has refused to acknowledge Coastal.

Which sure does expose the fact that a team's resume doesn't actually matter all that much. It's name brand first. Coastal beat the team that beat Iowa State and is still unbeaten, yet Iowa State is ranked ahead because of the conference patch on their jerseys. Good job on beating OU I guess, but Kansas State did that as well and they lost to Arkansas State and you can look at my avatar to determine how good they've been this season.

This season isn't necessarily exposing how obvious the process has been because that's been obvious enough. It's just made the process that much more naked. Ohio State's resume doesn't paint a picture of a great team. The Ohio State name does. This is the year of the asterisk. I say throw either Coastal or Cincinnati in the playoff, then everybody can whine if/when they get blown out as if the semifinals aren't mostly blowouts anyway.

36 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It depends on how large the spread is and who had it. If the QB room was affected they wouldn't be able to play. With both teams cancelling it was probably pretty widespread.

If we hadn’t lost our starting QB while y’all’s were sitting on your bums trying to figure out how many asymptomatic cases you could hide against Sparty we might be in better shape there.

actually that’s an equitable compromise.  OSU plays the title game without Justin Fields.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived