2020 College Football

MJWalker45

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Oh the Ball State players are out on the field, He's gonna go into the end zone! He got into the end zone! Will it count?

Hide contents

no.

If this succeeded and there wasn't the forward pass, I think this may have been crazier than the Marching Band Game between Stanford and Cal. Not as widely known of course, but definitely crazier.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Florida just lost in the most ridiculous way.

Florida stops LSU on 4th down to get the ball back, tied, and with ~2 minutes left... but Marco Wilson gets flagged for throwing an LSU players shoe 20 yards downfield.  LSU drives down to kick the game winner.  :censored: Marco Wilson.

IUe6Hvh.png

9 minutes ago, See Red said:

Florida just lost in the most ridiculous way.

Florida stops LSU on 4th down to get the ball back, tied, and with ~2 minutes left... but Marco Wilson gets flagged for throwing an LSU players should 20 yards downfield.  LSU drives down to kick the game winner.  :censored: Marco Wilson.

Playoff hopes, however unlikely they were, are gone, and that was his last home game as a Gator anyway (which, yes, a senior of all people did that), so this seems pretty easy to me. I never want to see him take another snap as a Gator. He's done.

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Playoff hopes, however unlikely they were, are gone, and that was his last home game as a Gator anyway (which, yes, a senior of all people did that), so this seems pretty easy to me. I never want to see him take another snap as a Gator. He's done.

Yeah... I mean, there's no way this team was beating Alabama.  That said, he is a senior, but this year doesn't count against eligibility and he pissed any shot he had of being drafted long before he chucked that shoe.  I'd like to think he's done in a Florida uniform but I'd like to think there'd have been enough accountability to sit him the rest of the game but he was out there every single defensive snap after that because there is no accountability.  Marco Wilson's been awful all year... he shouldn't be starting for this team anyway.  If there was, the dead weight on the coaching staff would've been fired a long time ago.

That's not even the worst part about all of this.  The worst part is that even the coaching staff overlooked LSU, which is evidenced by them sitting Pitts to make sure he was good to go against Alabama.

Unfortunately, this feels like Florida's ceiling under Mullen as long as he keeps recruiting at the bottom of the top ten and remains loyal to guys like Grantham and some of the defensive staff.  He's obviously a good coach, but he's loyal to a fault and makes some truly baffling playcalls sometimes.

IUe6Hvh.png

Just now, See Red said:

Yeah... I mean, there's no way this team was beating Alabama.  That said, he is a senior, but this year doesn't count against eligibility and he pissed any shot he had of being drafted long before he chucked that shoe.  I'd like to think he's done in a Florida uniform but I'd like to think there'd have been enough accountability to sit him the rest of the game but he was out there every single defensive snap after that because there is no accountability.  If there was, the dead weight on the coaching staff would've been fired a long time ago.

That's not even the worst part about all of this.  The worst part is that even the coaching staff overlooked LSU, which is evidenced by them sitting Pitts to make sure he was good to go against Alabama.

Unfortunately, this feels like Florida's ceiling under Mullen as long as he keeps recruiting at the bottom of the top ten and remains loyal to guys like Grantham and some of the defensive staff.

And notice how often the offense stalled out inside the 10 tonight, and then think of the exact kind of player who is the perfect matchup nightmare for those compressed-field situations. 

This game was an indictment on everybody except Toney, for the most part. Defense as putrid as it's been all season, coaching staff unprepared, offensive line collectively serving as five turnstyles in the first half...even Trask on the pick-six and fumble. Playcalling leaving much to be desired against a team missing their three best defensive backs. 

Mullen himself last year talked about how big the leap from 10-wins to 11 is, and how much bigger the leap from 11 to 12 is. You aren't reaching that next level as long as Todd Grantham is the DC. So ready to see the back of him.

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

And notice how often the offense stalled out inside the 10 tonight, and then think of the exact kind of player who is the perfect matchup nightmare for those compressed-field situations. 

This game was an indictment on everybody except Toney, for the most part. Defense as putrid as it's been all season, coaching staff unprepared, offensive line collectively serving as five turnstyles in the first half...even Trask on the pick-six and fumble. Playcalling leaving much to be desired against a team missing their three best defensive backs. 

Mullen himself last year talked about how big the leap from 10-wins to 11 is, and how much bigger the leap from 11 to 12 is. You aren't reaching that next level as long as Todd Grantham is the DC. So ready to see the back of him.

I didn't catch Mullen's postgame presser but I believe he said the defense played fine.  I have zero faith in him firing Grantham.  Maybe I'm just not far enough removed from this mess of a game but yeah, Dan's not the guy if we want to get to the next level.

edit:

Ugh.  WTF, Dan?

IUe6Hvh.png

Good to see the B1G rule change was completely pointless now.

(consumes recreational mood altering substance to cope.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm trying to determine what the dumber loss was between Florida's shoe throwing or Ole Miss' dog pissing. Truly, it means more.

1 hour ago, JerseyJimmy said:

gotta say, I was making a whole lot of faces there during the 4th quarter in CCU/Troy. now if they could sh-tstomp Louisiana and Tulsa could beat Cincy, that would rule.

I'm excited to see Coastal beat Iowa State's defeaters twice so that they can continue to be ranked behind Iowa State due to conference patches.

So, I've got one question. Assuming the various conference championship games play out as expected, would the selection committee be forced to put a conference champion from outside the Power 5 into the semifinals this year? Or would they just chicken out and pick a team that didn't even make a championship game, but is from a power conference, like they always do?

https://imgur.com/qSDgofl

They should put Cincy in, but they won't.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

So, I've got one question. Assuming the various conference championship games play out as expected, would the selection committee be forced to put a conference champion from outside the Power 5 into the semifinals this year? Or would they just chicken out and pick a team that didn't even make a championship game, but is from a power conference, like they always do?

They could, but I get the feeling that they won't.

Cincinnati needs to win, but they also need a little help. They need Ohio State to lose and hope that Notre Dame can smash Clemson. They can easily jump past Texas A&M since the Bearcats have a conference title... the lone roadblock remains to be is Iowa State.

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

They'll move up Texas A&M as long as they don't lose whatever game they play on Saturday. 

20 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

They could, but I get the feeling that they won't.

Cincinnati needs to win, but they also need a little help. They need Ohio State to lose and hope that Notre Dame can smash Clemson. They can easily jump past Texas A&M since the Bearcats have a conference title... the lone roadblock remains to be is Iowa State.

If Ohio State loses, they can suddenly jump Northwestern over everyone, save Texas A&M, because they beat the number 4 team. I think it's dumb that a 2 loss Big XII team still has a better chance because the team they beat will be higher ranked than any team Louisiana or Cincinnati plays. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If Ohio State loses, they can suddenly jump Northwestern over everyone, save Texas A&M, because they beat the number 4 team. I think it's dumb that a 2 loss Big XII team still has a better chance because the team they beat will be higher ranked than any team Louisiana or Cincinnati plays. 

I said this on Facebook, so I'll say it again: What win can Cincinnati produce that has the same impact that the wins over Texas and Oklahoma have for Iowa State?

The early season win over a ranked Army team is the closet one I can think of. Even then, that win has lost some luster after Army lost another game. After that? Well... there is SMU.

Iowa State has a chance to have three wins over ranked teams. Cincinnati has a chance for two wins.

Also, the loss to UL-Lafayette doesn't sting as much now since the Cajuns are ranked and have a chance to win the Sun Belt title against a molten lava hot Coastal Carolina team.

In fact, Cincy might need to worry more about beating Tulsa then the playoff picture... because if they lose here, it'll be all for naught.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:07 PM, See Red said:

SEC, ESPN strike 10-year deal for college football, basketball starting in 2024

I don't like how ESPN has their hands in everything but I can't be disappointed about not having to listen to Gary Danielson spend four and a half hours talking about how great Alabama is... during a game in which Alabama isn't even playing.

Regarding Blake Anderson, I saw this about him today and it broke me.

at this point, Disney (who owns ESPN) doesn't have the money even to help there own workers (and yet pay extra bonus money to there execs and for this too).  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

11 hours ago, Magnus said:

They will always chicken out. It helps their case that chickening out for the first playoff by not choosing between Baylor or TCU and instead going with Ohio State ended up working out better than anybody could have ever imagined.

7 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

What win can Cincinnati produce that has the same impact that the wins over Texas and Oklahoma have for Iowa State?

Doesn't matter. Cincinnati has the wrong conference patch. OU and Texas are nothing special this year, but people prefer Cheerios to Wheat Circles.

7 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Also, the loss to UL-Lafayette doesn't sting as much now since the Cajuns are ranked and have a chance to win the Sun Belt title against a molten lava hot Coastal Carolina team.

Yet unbeaten Coastal Carolina, the Cajuns' one loss, are ranked behind Iowa State as if beating OU and Texas are meaningful accomplishments in modern football. Resumes are less important than conference patches. It's not what you know, it's who you know and all that.

42 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

How on Earth does Florida, who lost to LSU by a shoe, fall only one spot in the CFP rankings? How is Ohio State still number 4? How does Cincinnati keep getting shafted in the sports world?

cxiSvEQ.gif

Florida's spot is completely inexcusable.  So is Iowa State, for that matter.

IUe6Hvh.png

Florida falling a spot is very suspicious considering that was a bad loss to a subpar LSU team. Something tells me the loss isn't as bad to the committee as we, the viewing public, made it out to be.

In the case of Cincinnati... well, they haven't been able to play in nearly a month through no fault of their own. Yes, they're 8-0... but they haven't played recently while others (like Iowa State) have. Also, the Bearcats may want to look over their shoulder as if they blow this game with Tulsa, it will be all for naught as any playoff hopes would die off and they would also screw themselves out of the New Year's Six.

Speaking of the Cyclones, they're the beneficiaries of what has been an extremely strange ass season. If things fall correctly, they might break the mold for 2 loss teams.

Archived