2020 College Football

MJWalker45

My issue with every expanded playoff proposal is with the automatic bids for conference champs. In the old days, when all the teams in the conference played each other and the championship was based solely on record? Fine. But now, with these unbalanced (strength-wise) divisions, there's too much of a chance of much less deserving team playing over their heads for one game and stealing a spot. 

If they do go with five champs, plus one from G5, plus two at large, I'd add one caviot. No team with more than two losses is eligible for an automatic bid. If a conference produces a three loss champ, that slot becomes another at large. 

Any system that includes any subjectivity is going to have issues.

If you take conference champions plus subjectively-selected at large teams, then it behooves a conference to tell it's undefeated powerhouse to tank the title game so that the powerhouse gets in as an at large while the winner (who otherwise wouldn't have gotten in) gets an automatic berth.

If you start saying "anyone with x losses is automatically eligible even if they win their league" then nobody is going to schedule anyone with any talent outside of who they have to play.

College football is a stupid thing for myriad reasons, and the championship system is merely the low-hanging fruit - and frankly, there's no solution that doesn't have major flaws.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

If you take conference champions plus subjectively-selected at large teams, then it behooves a conference to tell it's undefeated powerhouse to tank the title game so that the powerhouse gets in as an at large while the winner (who otherwise wouldn't have gotten in) gets an automatic berth.

If you start saying "anyone with x losses is automatically eligible even if they win their league" then nobody is going to schedule anyone with any talent outside of who they have to play.

College football is a stupid thing for myriad reasons, and the championship system is merely the low-hanging fruit - and frankly, there's no solution that doesn't have major flaws.

That’s a lot to ask somewhere around 100 18-22 year olds who are fighting for spots to get drafted to lay down for a game regardless of if it is mandated by the conference higher ups. Sure coaches could just play there scrubs or make bonehead play calling all game but then fans would be up in arms over the clear manipulation of the rules.

Standout Freshman Running Back from Utah and PAC-12 Offensive Freshman of the Year, Ty Jordan, has died of a gunshot wound. It is believed that he accidentally shot himself.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30600621/utah-utes-rb-ty-jordan-pac-12-offensive-freshman-year-dies

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

It may behoove them to do so, but if it were going to happen then Gonzaga wouldn't win as many conference tournaments as they do.

22 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

jesus f-cking christ, that was the most blatantly f-cking rigged game I've ever seen. shudder to think how much NCAA c-ck falwell has sucked.

I don't about rigged, but that was a weird ass finish... imagine if this game was played earlier in the season when these two teams were supposed to meet in Conway.

I personally think that it took nearly everything for Coastal to come back down 13 twice in the game and still come up short. This season will go down as the best ever there, but damn does this loss leave a sour taste in their mouths.

27 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

jesus f-cking christ, that was the most blatantly f-cking rigged game I've ever seen. shudder to think how much NCAA c-ck falwell has sucked.

Falwell is more of a watcher of such things.

Anyway, just here to throw in a standard, "they didn't even want to be there," joke and to also dump my snarky Coastal Carolina National Champions posts in the garbage.

This Coastal team is super young, so I believe they will be back to a similar place next year. The number of blatant holds that they didn’t flag was crazy. There were three that I remember that specifically gave up a first down, and a ref was looking right at the hold.

Did I miss some grand announcement from all the college football announcer that they'd all work in the phrase "2 deep" in every game this year? It's always just been called "the depth chart" and I don't know when the big meeting was that "depth chart" isn't cool anymore. I've never heard the phrase used on a broadcast until this year.

Related: the phrase "hat on a hat." I swear Kirk Herbstreit gets paid anytime he uses that phrase.

49 minutes ago, floydnimrod said:

Did I miss some grand announcement from all the college football announcer that they'd all work in the phrase "2 deep" in every game this year? It's always just been called "the depth chart" and I don't know when the big meeting was that "depth chart" isn't cool anymore. 

I have heard it for a long time. Either way. 2 deep is more of a team use thing. 

I just want a playoff system that has auto qualifying status for the champions of the Sun Belt, C-USA, Mountain West, MAC, and American. I really don't know why we have "Power 5" and "Group of 5". It's really arbitrary and makes zero sense, unless you are purposefully trying to keep teams and leagues from being able to win a championship. 

8 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I just want a playoff system that has auto qualifying status for the champions of the Sun Belt, C-USA, Mountain West, MAC, and American. I really don't know why we have "Power 5" and "Group of 5". It's really arbitrary and makes zero sense, unless you are purposefully trying to keep teams and leagues from being able to win a championship. 

So you want a playoff system with at least 10 teams where the first round is mostly embarrassing blowouts?

Ok. I'd watch.

14 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

But let's be honest; once you change the system that allows all teams to be equal, then those schools at the bottom will get better.

Let's do an 8-team playoff, but treat all ten conferences as equals. Oh, Bama finished the regular season with 1 loss, but Cinci finished undefeated? BAMA'S OUT, GO CRY INTO YOUR CORNFLAKES.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So you want a playoff system with at least 10 teams where the first round is mostly embarrassing blowouts?

Ok. I'd watch.

isn’t that what happens for a lot of 1st and 2nd round games in basketball, or other sports that crown a national champion for team sports? Currently, FBS doesn’t have a national champion. It’s an invitational determined primarily in July. “Four best teams” is the most annoying phrase that can be said in the talk show debates. If that is the case, then we will still be seeing Bama, Clemson, OSU, OU, ND in the same top 6 spots in 10 years, due to the number of 5 stars on their roster that makes them the ‘best teams’. If there was ever a year to put a Group 5 team in the mix, this wa the year. But we’re going to get 2 blowouts in the semifinals, and another boring Bama/Clemson championship game. 

14 hours ago, floydnimrod said:

Did I miss some grand announcement from all the college football announcer that they'd all work in the phrase "2 deep" in every game this year? It's always just been called "the depth chart" and I don't know when the big meeting was that "depth chart" isn't cool anymore. I've never heard the phrase used on a broadcast until this year.

Related: the phrase "hat on a hat." I swear Kirk Herbstreit gets paid anytime he uses that phrase.

Drives me insane. This didn’t become popular on ESPN broadcasts until Saban broke down film on gameday one morning, and then because he said it, and they drool all over everything he does, they can’t say it enough. David Pollock says it a ton too.