Sign in to follow this  
MJWalker45

2020 College Football

The first massive ripple has appeared as the Mid-American decides to NOT play football this fall (They might in the spring).

So, for record keeping's sake, we have 3 of the Group of 5 conferences going to play games (Sun Belt, Mountain West, American), one nixed it (Mid-American) and, so far, no comment from Conference USA.

The MAC being the most progressive conference is kind of shocking, since I suspect everybody will be following them.

21 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

The first massive ripple has appeared as the Mid-American decides to NOT play football this fall (They might in the spring).

So, for record keeping's sake, we have 3 of the Group of 5 conferences going to play games (Sun Belt, Mountain West, American), one nixed it (Mid-American) and, so far, no comment from Conference USA.

CUSA is Gonig 8 conference games and allowed its members to schedule up to 4 non conference games.

https://fbschedules.com/c-usa-to-play-eight-conference-up-to-four-non-conference-games-in-2020/

As much as I would love to see the players unionize, it ain't gonna happen. The NLRB denied Northwestern the chance to do so back in 2015 and I doubt it would be different now. I do think these "unity groups" will continue, however.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:09 AM, Seadragon76 said:

At least I'll have Coastal and Boise to watch.  Northeast Conference will "wait and see" in September.

Looks like the B1G is out.

The rumblings I've read places is it's less about player health and safety and more about insurance and liability. Figures.

29 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The rumblings I've read places is it's less about player health and safety and more about insurance and liability. Figures.

Yeah it figures that even after making the right decision, their hearts were still not in the right place.

This whole #WeWantToPlay thing feels really stupid. Everybody wants games to happen, literally nobody is on the other side of this. Want isn't the issue.

Meanwhile in the SEC...

(Dan) Patrick reported the latest on the college football season from a source with knowledge of the situation during his Monday show.

Here is what Patrick shared live on the air after speaking with his source.

“The Big 10 and the Pac-12 will cancel their football seasons (Tuesday),” Patrick said on the air. “The ACC and the Big 12 are on the fence. The SEC is trying to get a delay to get teams join them. The SEC is looking at exclusive TV contracts.”

Patrick then asked a question about the SEC’s commitment to keeping the season together following this news.

So while the Pac-12 and Big 10 have cancelled, the SEC is considering bring other schools that want to play in.  If the SEC moves forward with this, I can't imagine schools like OSU or Michigan would just take a season off while other top programs play college football and make a boatload of money, despite their voting against the Big 10 playing.

I've seen reports that Nebraska, Ohio St, Penn St and a fourth team would play in the fall regardless. Obviously the Big 10 wouldn't be able to stop them, but I would not be opposed to the Conference just booting Nebraska if they play this year in the Big 12. They've only been in the conference for less than a decade and really haven't done anything of note.

Maybe also these schools can say "because none of you idiots would just wear a damn mask at Wal-Mart, you're not getting football. I hope you're happy with yourselves."