Jump to content

2020 College Football


MJWalker45
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, CherryMX said:

 

Lou, uh, ya know *adjusts collar*

 

He literally just compared Ohio State vs Florida Atlantic University to one of the defining moments of WW2, and that we should all accept the fact that players will die. 

 

Does Lou Holtz live in Florida?  I wouldn't be surprised since I'm sure there's many there and in the other SEC states that feel the same way and have been ruining this for everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Canceling the fall season is fine but the prospect of players playing two seasons in one calendar year is beyond dumb. 

 

But hey, "wE cArE aBoUt OuR sTuDeNt aThLeTeS!"

Watching Ohio State fans get unhinged is the strangest thing, as an Ohio State fan. They're acting like Gene Smith cancelled football instead of the schools as a whole. It's pretty flipping annoying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Maybe also these schools can say "because none of you idiots would just wear a damn mask at Wal-Mart, you're not getting football. I hope you're happy with yourselves."

Remember when your parents would tell you, as  child, if you were good this year, Santa would come and bring presents?  Guess everyone is getting a lump of coal this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JayMac said:

Canceling the fall season is fine but the prospect of players playing two seasons in one calendar year is beyond dumb. 

 

But hey, "wE cArE aBoUt OuR sTuDeNt aThLeTeS!"

 

18 hours ago, CherryMX said:

 

Lou, uh, ya know *adjusts collar*

This and Dieon Sanders telling college kids that opted out that other people are ready to take their spot reminds me why the NFL now uses robot tackling dummies.

 

I Mentioned this idea in the uni forum, but I'll drop it here too:

Looking at AAF/XFL/WLAF for season planning as a guideline. Games started in mid-March and the season ended in June. So if you push the start up to mid-February, play 10 weeks with no byes, you'd have the regular season end on April 10th, conference championships the 17th, two weeks for bowl games spread across the tow weeks. The semi-finals would be played May 8th, and the championship on May 15th or 17th, depending on what they decide to do. That gives basketball March Madness, which would probably move from Thursday-Sunday to Monday-Thursday. Baseball would have June as it usually does. The actual winner in this could be the XFL which could sit out until 2022 and figure out how to make a better spring product by watching how college football does. Every level will be playing so there's a lot of data to crunch. For most schools, they'll end their season at the same time they normally would for spring football. The rest would be adding up to an extra month of football. The real question is if the NFL would consider moving the draft into that space between the semi-finals and the championship, similar to what the WNBA did with their drafts in previous years? Here's a quote from ESPN:

What does this mean for the 2021 NFL draft and college all-star events?

League sources say the NFL hasn't had formal discussions about the draft or the college all-star season, as it was waiting to see what the colleges would do. The only thing that has come up in recent owners meetings is whether to lift the prohibition of scouts on campuses in the fall, but there has been no decision. The possibility of a spring season puts several options on the table, but so far there doesn't seem to be much support for changing the date of the draft. The collective bargaining agreement signed in March, however, stipulates that the draft must be held between Feb. 14 and June 2. Another possibility: Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst suggested on Monday that the NFL could have a "mini combine" in December.

 

So, the NFL could plan to hold the Combine immediately after the championship game, heck if it isn't in Indianapolis, move it there anyways and have the combine start the morning afterwards,,unless you decide to have the Senior, Hula and East-West games that weekend, then just have the combine start the second Tuesday after the Championship.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, JayMac said:

Canceling the fall season is fine but the prospect of players playing two seasons in one calendar year is beyond dumb. 

 

But hey, "wE cArE aBoUt OuR sTuDeNt aThLeTeS!"

 

If you're playing 8 games in the Spring and then you do another 8 in the Fall, it's absolutely possible. That's 16 games (vs a normal 12) over...8-11 months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bosox said:

 

If you're playing 8 games in the Spring and then you do another 8 in the Fall, it's absolutely possible. That's 16 games (vs a normal 12) over...8-11 months.

You also are dealing with new players coming in the summer/fall that are replacing the players that have graduated or left for the NFL. In addition, EPL players finished playing July 26th and will start playing games again on September 12th. Yes, soccer isn't as physical as football. However, these schools have better facilities than most of the top European soccer clubs, including EPL teams. A gap of three to four months will allow players to recover a lot easier than 7 weeks will. Pushing games back up to a month can even be used to add more time for that. Ohio State at Michigan in mid-December isn't ideal, but I'd take that over no game at all like this year. I'm also wondering if the people yelling at Big Ten and PAC-12 commissioners about "stealing these players dreams" will be saying that in October if we have a breakout amongst the teams that do try playing in the fall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Southland is yet another to cancel fall sports. Central Arkansas still plans to play anyway. They're the ones with the purple and gray field and are not to be trusted.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

 

For now.

 

There's a lot of smoke on this thing for there not to be a fire somewhere.  I'm not saying NU walks away today, but it wouldn't surprise me if things change down the road.  Kevin Warren is no Jim Delaney.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

 

For now.

 

There's a lot of smoke on this thing for there not to be a fire somewhere.  I'm not saying NU walks away today, but it wouldn't surprise me if things change down the road.  Kevin Warren is no Jim Delaney.  

The only way I see them walk away is if they jump to the Big XII as part of the television fees. Will they make anything close to what they're getting now? I don't think they can as long as Longhorn Network exists. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The only way I see them walk away is if they jump to the Big XII as part of the television fees. Will they make anything close to what they're getting now? I don't think they can as long as Longhorn Network exists. 

 

That's true, but here's a random thought: Ohio State was crabbing about the lack of play about as much as Nebraska, although NU took most of the national heat for it.  There have been rumors about Michigan and/or Penn State also wanting to play.  

 

If the Big XII wanted to get super aggressive, they'd put together a TV package that turns spins off LHN into a conference-wide network and make a stupid, pile-o-money type offer to Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.  Imagine the Big XII getting up to 14 teams by adding those four teams.  It's a bit of a pie in the sky pipe dream, but it would set up the Big XII to basically usurp the Big Ten's place in terms of TV revenue and they'd probably have a slight edge over the SEC if they can use OU, UT, NU, OSU, UM and PSU in TV contract negotiations.

 

It seems totally unrealistic, but if I were heading up the Big XII, I'd give it a shot.  Jim Delaney is not running the B1G anymore and his successor seems like an incompetent boob.  If there was ever a time that the Big Ten was facing uncertainty, it's now.  Perfect time for a sneak attack. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pianoknight said:

 

That's true, but here's a random thought: Ohio State was crabbing about the lack of play about as much as Nebraska, although NU took most of the national heat for it.  There have been rumors about Michigan and/or Penn State also wanting to play.  

 

If the Big XII wanted to get super aggressive, they'd put together a TV package that turns spins off LHN into a conference-wide network and make a stupid, pile-o-money type offer to Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.  Imagine the Big XII getting up to 14 teams by adding those four teams.  It's a bit of a pie in the sky pipe dream, but it would set up the Big XII to basically usurp the Big Ten's place in terms of TV revenue and they'd probably have a slight edge over the SEC if they can use OU, UT, NU, OSU, UM and PSU in TV contract negotiations.

 

It seems totally unrealistic, but if I were heading up the Big XII, I'd give it a shot.  Jim Delaney is not running the B1G anymore and his successor seems like an incompetent boob.  If there was ever a time that the Big Ten was facing uncertainty, it's now.  Perfect time for a sneak attack. 

Ohio State realizes they have a pretty good thing with BTN, which is why they stopped grumbling after the AD said he's sticking with the Big Ten line. Warren isn't Delaney and that's probably a good thing because Delaney would've probably gone off over the players open letter and kept steering towards a fall schedule as well. Warren i risk averse because he's new to the role. I also think the Big XII would like to bring Nebraska and another team to get to 12, but stop right there. The problem is there's no other school other than maybe Houston that would would help the Big XII nationally. BYU could, but other schools have issues with some of their school policies which is why they weren't even considered as a 10th game for this year. Iowa probably wouldn't leave the Big Ten since I don't believe the Big XII has wrestling teams. If they left for football, they'll probably be kicked out of everything and the nearest teams will be MAC teams, who probably don't want to get thumped by Iowa every year the same way AAC teams get whooped on by UConn basketball in the women's division. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Iowa probably wouldn't leave the Big Ten since I don't believe the Big XII has wrestling teams.

Big XII does sponsor wrestling, but the following schools are in the Big 12 for it;

 

Air Force
Fresno State
North Dakota State
Northern Colorado
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State
Utah Valley
Wyoming

 

Bit of a step down from MN and Penn St

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

Big XII does sponsor wrestling, but the following schools are in the Big 12 for it;

 

Air Force
Fresno State
North Dakota State
Northern Colorado
Northern Iowa
South Dakota State
Utah Valley
Wyoming

 

Bit of a step down from MN and Penn St

But Oklahoma and Oklahoma state are big wrestling schools too, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.