Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

22 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

I more so meant the original logo (because it's entirely possible the designers of the current logo piggybacked off the "idea" that it was supposed to mimic an "F," rather than it being the original designer's intention), but I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

We were clearly talking about the current logo though. If the debate was over the original, that could've been dispelled pretty quickly. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not sure that was as clearly established as you believe.

On a different note, I imagine the Falcons wanted to avoid 404 Day because there are other local things to celebrate — music, arts, healthcare workers, etc. — rather than a sports team that will get all of the headlines on any other day.

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

‘93, ‘97. Agreed otherwise. 

Right, I’m always accidentally flipping when they got new uniforms and when Kraft and Glazer bought the teams.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, dont care said:

It’s the same franchise. A rebrand doesn’t mean the team totally restarts. The teams history goes along with them. Steve McNair didn’t play for 2 Separate teams In tennessee. He played for the oilers who then became the titans 

You are missing the point. The original question was asking what a team's historical look was. The Titans were navy/gold. The Jets were/are green. To say that the Jets historical look is navy/gold is completely false. The franchise had both but each team had their own. 

3 hours ago, dont care said:

A part of, they aren’t all of Atlanta. I can see them not wanting to take the spotlight away from the rest of the ATL when it’s a day for them too.

Unveiling uniforms would make them all of Atlanta?

I think it's pretty lame they didn't unveil them today. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I was being overly pedantic when I suggested that he meant that the Jets' historical look was navy and gold.

The New York Jets (team, not franchise) started out in green and white.  No NFL team named the New York Jets played a game in anything other than green and white until whenever they came out with those throwbacks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/1/2020 at 6:39 PM, WavePunter said:

I've never seen it as an F, and even when trying to, it's a stretch.. and I've been able to read for over a month now..

On 3/31/2020 at 4:53 PM, jn8 said:

spacer.png

20 minute rough draft:

xBhQHBP.jpg

This ATL logo is pretty well done for 20 min and somehow came out looking more like an F to me as well, great job! I don't find either of the two official logos to be that legible as an F without prior knowledge even if @the admiral thinks I'm illiterate because of that.

On 4/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, IceCap said:

That's not how continuity works but ok. 

It has nothing to do with continuity. I get that you are talking franchise, but that's not what's being discussed here. It's the historical look of a team (not a franchise). That's why the Titans and Jets are different teams even though they are the same franchise. 

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

It has nothing to do with continuity. I get that you are talking franchise, but that's not what's being discussed here. It's the historical look of a team (not a franchise). That's why the Titans and Jets are different teams even though they are the same franchise. 

Precisely!

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Forcing ATL into the shape of a falcon is a bit ridiculous 

Robert Downey Jr Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

Forcing any letterform into the shape of a mascot is bad in my book. I know many LOVE the Washington State logo with the crammed up WSU making a cougar head shape but I think it's   horrible. Forcing something almost never produces a superior design. 

Good job good effort on the second ATL Falcon, but I think @jn8 got it right with his draft. By having the L go all the way down the wing, it reads more like an E than an F. More Eagles than Falcons at that point.

I think what I like about the WSU cougar is that it feels like it has its genesis in hand-drawn posters from the late '60s/early '70s, sort of an organic, vaguely psychedelic school-spirit thing. (EDIT: I don't know what its actual genesis is. I'm just saying that's the vibe it gives me.) Doing that for the Falcons would give a little bit of humanity to what I've always felt has been among the more sterile brands in the league.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, jgiff17 said:

I agree...just bored and was trying to see how or if it could work...but fitting old new ATL and F in there just makes it a bit crazy 

You’d also run into the problem of flipping it. Assuming it’d be the helmet logo

1 minute ago, DNAsports said:

You’d also run into the problem of flipping it. Assuming it’d be the helmet logo

I addressed that. You either flip it, treating it as more falcon than F, or leave it alone, treating it as more F than falcon. If it's an F and an ATL, then you almost have to leave it alone and live with it "facing" the wrong way. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived