Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

I think these have the foundation for a really nice modern set. Only changes I would make:

1. Black facemask

2. Eliminate ATL (either leave blank, or go with smaller Falcons wordmark like previous set)

3. No gradient on red jersey

Everything else looks really good in my opinion.

And take away the drop shadow 

Just found out the entirety of the new Falcons uniforms, and I'll definitely add that huge ATL wordmark to the items that I dislike. If it's smaller and only on the red jersey, I'll like that.

11 hours ago, Sport said:

who in the NFL keeps pushing gradients on us? JFC nobody wants gradients. 

I like the gradient! Especially red fading to black, for some reason... I'd even go so far as to say the side panels carrying to the pants work alongside it. I just don't love the oversized numbers and "drop" shadow, along with the helmet gimmicks... a handful of quirky elements is charming IMO, but there's too much going on across the entire uni

Just now, Newport said:

And take away the drop shadow 

What’s crazy is that the font could’ve worked on a refresh of the 90s set

Keep everything the same down to logo and matte helmet on the throwback but replace it with the new font with a normal outline and you have a great primary 

Godsdammit.  These are actually close to being not just good, but really good.  Unfortunately, instead of gradually introducing some of the new ideas every few iterations, they slapped them all on there at once.

Had they dropped the ATL (or made it significantly smaller) then the black-white and white-white and white-black would be tolerable, even with the numbers and side stripes.

The helmet looks nice!  I like the facemask, however there should be silver/gray elsewhere in the uniform, and there aint.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Okay so I’m gonna go ahead and pass judgement on the Falcons new uniforms. 

I’ll start with the things I absolutely hate:

-the helmet, there was nothing wrong with the previous helmet. They only needed to ditch the silver but they  added more, which sucks, and the glossy finish was miles better than the matte/satin that they went with.

-ATL across the jerseys is absolute Busch league trash. I’d maybe give them a pass if it was just on the alt but all three jerseys is total overkill.

-single color/non contrasting socks are stupid and I hate them. At least it looks like they’ll wear black socks when they wear black jerseys/white pants.

-Not a fan of the red pants. Don’t like red pants for the Falcons anyway, but why put a black stripe on them?

-the red jersey gradient: cripes, what a bad idea. If anything says regional indoor football more than the giant ATL it’s the gradient jersey. I assume this is the alternate, so maybe we’ll only be subjected to its poopyness once or twice per season but it’s bad.

These are the parts that I could live with if they hadn’t so utterly botched the rest of the uniform:

-I actually kinda like the number font and I don’t hate the side shadow. It’s unique but not overdone.

-The sidepanel/stripe isn’t terrible I guess.

There are some decent ideas here, but the execution is terrible and the bad ideas/trend chasing totally overshadow anything that could have been a nice contemporary uniform design.

Anyway, here’s to new Falcons uniforms for the 2025 season and at least we don’t have to worry about anyone confusing the Bucs for the Falcons anymore😬.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind some of these more experimental elements like the gradient or the side panel if they were balanced by a little more restraint in other areas, but it's too much altogether. Not to mention, a uniform with giant numbers needs a well-designed number font in order to work at all, and this font is just sooo goofy.

I think this criticism gets thrown around pretty flippantly, but this set really doesn't look like an NFL uniform to me. It's going to be wild seeing it on the field. 

spacer.png

I can’t believe all of us are sitting here, perfectly capable of creating better uniforms, yet people with the Falcons and Nike and the league are getting paid to design and approve this crap.  

I sell uniforms to schools for a living and this just straight up offends me.

More combinations. Besides the Fauxback, only one of them has contrasting pants and socks. Very unfortunate.

So that makes it (not counting the Throwback)

Black Helmet, with Silver Facemask

Black, White, and Red with Gradient Jerseys

Black, White, and Red Pants

Solid-Color Black, White, and Red Socks.

Seeing a Non-Mono combo, B/B/W/B isn’t that horrible.

da0Lbhs.png

Archived