BlazerBlaze

Falcons New Unis 2020

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

 

If the debate is about ATL on the Falcons uniform then here’s my opinion. I think “ATL” looks incredibly stupid on the Falcons uniform, but that’s only because I hate all wordmarks on NFL uniforms. It looks unprofessional. 
 

Incidentally, I really like ATL on the Hawks’ uniform though. 

Again...we were talking about it being socially relevant and recognizable. So yeah, nationally, it's up there with LA, and NYC. As in, you instantly know what city that abbreviation stands for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IceCap said:

I'm over the "if you're not from here you don't understand" argument. And this isn't just about the ATL thing, the Falcons, or Atlanta. It's a tired argument almost every fanbase (even my own) tosses out now and then. 

Local culture exists of course, but very few places are so special that you just have to be "from here" to understand them. 

 

Well, I can't help you if you don't understand. It's deeply rooted in the fabric of the city.

 

😜

Don't be ignorant just for the sake of it. I could give a rats ass about who likes Atlanta, or thinks it's special. But to say it's not a known abbreviation is somewhat asinine, unless you have no knowledge of pop culture, or the entertainment industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, L10nheart404 said:

Who the hell cares if you like it or hear it? I never cared about that, that's so far from the point that was being made. Your daily interactions, and attention will reflect YOUR opinion. It's not like you surveyed all of Atlanta, or Georgia, and asked their opinion, so stop trying to make me wrong just because you have a different perspective on this matter. I have a different perspective as well. I've lived in the city as well as the outskirts, and my opinion is shaped by what I'VE heard and seen while growing up here.

 

To quote you "who the hell cares if you like" my opinion or not?  I never said you were wrong; you chose to read into that.  Whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

But I thought people in the city liking it is what justifies it?

No, I said it's nationally known. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, L10nheart404 said:

Don't be ignorant just for the sake of it. I could give a rats ass about who likes Atlanta, or thinks it's special. But to say it's not a known abbreviation is somewhat asinine, unless you have no knowledge of pop culture, or the entertainment industry.

Just because its known doesn't make it good. MN and Minn is a well know abbreviation for Minnesota but it would look ridiculous on a uniform

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, L10nheart404 said:

Again...we were talking about it being socially relevant and recognizable. So yeah, nationally, it's up there with LA, and NYC. As in, you instantly know what city that abbreviation stands for

I think you might be over-estimating the importance of ATL. I lived in Ontario for most of my life and the first time I heard of "ATL" was here, when the Hawks rolled it out on an alternate. 

 

Meanwhile "TO" was a pretty common abbreviation for Toronto when I was growing up, before it was surpassed by "The 416." 

 

Obviously you, being from Atlanta, never heard of TO/The 416 and I, being from southern Ontario, had never heard of ATL. I think it's a perfect case study of how local these things ultimately are unless you're in a truly global market like New York or Los Angeles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maroon&Gold said:

Just because its known doesn't make it good. MN and Minn is a well know abbreviation for Minnesota but it would look ridiculous on a uniform

Why do you guys keep saying "that doesn't mean it's good"...or "I still don't like it, and think it's stupid". That's fine, that was never an issue. It's nationally known, and it's unique only to Atlanta. No one else calls any other major city "ATL" ..that was the whole debate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DNAsports said:

Reading through this “debate”, “argument”, whatever... and just 

 

spacer.png

 

I know.  I'm out, don't need the drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

Don't be ignorant just for the sake of it. I could give a rats ass about who likes Atlanta, or thinks it's special. But to say it's not a known abbreviation is somewhat asinine, unless you have no knowledge of pop culture, or the entertainment industry.

 

I'll back you up. "The ATL" is probably the best-known three-letter abbreviation in the US right now (except for maybe NYC, but that's different for a lot of reasons).

 

There might be a lot of cultural opportunities people on this site don't normally partake in where they might see more representation of "ATL", but that doesn't mean it's not there. And quit it with "but what about the 416?" It's just not the same at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maroon&Gold said:

It's nationally known in Canada 

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I think you might be over-estimating the importance of ATL. I lived in Ontario for most of my life and the first time I heard of "ATL" was here, when the Hawks rolled it out on an alternate. 

 

Meanwhile "TO" was a pretty common abbreviation for Toronto when I was growing up, before it was surpassed by "The 416." 

 

Obviously you, being from Atlanta, never heard of TO/The 416 and I, being from southern Ontario, had never heard of ATL. I think it's a perfect case study of how local these things ultimately are unless you're in a truly global market like New York or Los Angeles. 

 

I actually have heard of it. My point was , To put it on a uniform, It's not something most Americans will understand right off the bat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

I'll back you up. "The ATL" is probably the best-known three-letter abbreviation in the US right now (except for maybe NYC, but that's different for a lot of reasons).

 

There might be a lot of cultural opportunities people on this site don't normally partake in where they might see more representation of "ATL", but that doesn't mean it's not there. And quit it with "but what about the 416?" It's just not the same at all.

Thank you!! That was my only argument. Never about who likes it or thinks it looks good, but that it's as recognized as LA or NYC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

Thank you!! That was my only argument. Never about who likes it or thinks it looks good, but that's it's as recognized as LA or NYC.

My mistake. I forgot this was Chris Creamer's city abbreviation forum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

Don't be ignorant just for the sake of it.

Um, I'm not. I grew up in essentially a glorified suburb of Toronto. "ATL" as a thing was just not something I heard of until my early adulthood when, through this forum, I found out about the Hawks' first ATL alternate. I thought it was dumb because who plasters a three letter abbreviation on their uniform? Then someone informed me it wasn't just an arbitrary decision and that "ATL" had a meaning in its own right. You could probably find the thread if you dug back far enough. 

My point is that sometimes local stuff puts blinders on you. 

 

All of this is besides the point, though. I think it looks dumb on a uniform. Sell ATL Falcons shirts and caps all you want, but keep it off the uniform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maroon&Gold said:

My mistake. I forgot this was Chris Creamer's city abbreviation forum

🙄 ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably 5-6 years ago I really began to notice the use of “DMV”. At first I was like “Why the hell is everyone obsessed with the Department of Motor Vehicles? Then I realized it was an abbreviation for three states to which I thought were Delaware Maryland & Virginia. Well, turns out I was 2/3rds right because the stood for District of Columbia.

 

To an outside citizen with no understanding of DMV you’d probably think it’s pretty stupid to use Washington DC instead of Delaware considering you’d have to also understand that people in the area refer to it as The District as well.

 

Hell, I’m front one part of the DMV and it’s odd to me still.
 

My point is, to an outside citizen of Atlanta and even a civilian sports fan not knowing the Falcons reside in Atlanta, the use of “ATL” is wonky as all hell and serves no purpose to national team branding. The random dude who casually walks into a third party NFL apparel store and sees a Falcons jersey is probably going to wonder “Who the hell is ‘ATL’?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

Why do you guys keep saying "that doesn't mean it's good"...or "I still don't like it, and think it's stupid". That's fine, that was never an issue. It's nationally known, and it's unique only to Atlanta. No one else calls any other major city "ATL" ..that was the whole debate.

 

I think the argument is over the aesthetics of the size and placement of the lettering. Having an ATL be prominent somewhere on the uniform is less of a deal than it taking up that specific space on the jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

Again...we were talking about it being socially relevant and recognizable. So yeah, nationally, it's up there with LA, and NYC. As in, you instantly know what city that abbreviation stands for


But it’s just not dude. 
 

It’s not anywhere close to LA and NYC in terms of being socially relevant and recognizable. C’mon man. Don’t let your bias get in the way of that fact. For better or worse, LA and NYC are America’s two most famous cities along with their abbreviations. 
 

I’d bet a lot of money that if you take a survey of people across the nation more people would know what LA and NYC stands for than they would know what ATL stands for. And again, people use LA to refer to Los Angeles more than they use the full name itself! 
 

Atlanta has only become a cultural hub within the last decade or so, whereas NYC and LA have already been that for decades and centuries (in New York’s case). I’d argue that ATL is more widely used in my generation (millennial) and the generation below.
 

The older generations likely have no clue what it means, but they would know what LA and NYC stand for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said, my objection to it is because it's a three letter abbreviation of a single word name. I just think that stuff looks minor league. ATL could be globally recognized, and I still think it would look bad on a uniform. 

Again, the Falcons can sell all the ATL shirts and hats they want. The wordmark (if it must be there) should read ATLANTA or FALCONS, in my opinion. And preferably in a smaller font. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.