Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

57 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

The gradient is a bit much and the 'ATL' is very college but its still a drastic improvement over the old.

This is what everyone is grading the entire set on, the "Rise up Red" jersey. Even as a design, the "ATL",  the side stoops(taken directly from the falcons logo), and number font isn't bad(except #6). The size of the fonts could be downsized a bit, but the majority of the disapproval comes from the gradient jersey.  Seems people are forgetting players can wear different color cleats and accessories to offset the monochromatic look, which is another quibble for some people on this forum. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

This is what everyone is grading the entire set on, the "Rise up Red" jersey. Even as a design, the "ATL",  the side stoops(taken directly from the falcons logo), and number font isn't bad(except #6). The size of the fonts could be downsized a bit, but the majority of the disapproval comes from the gradient jersey.  Seems people are forgetting players can wear different color cleats and accessories to offset the monochromatic look, which is another quibble for some people on this forum. 

Mono black and mono white are acceptable to me. I don’t prefer it, but it doesn’t look silly like going head to toe in a bright color. I know that’s a hot take around spacer.png

This mismatched jersey and pants is clearly superior though. Dare i says it’s actually really good.

I think that the notion of a gradient being inherently outdated is a bit... outdated. It's not strictly a relic of the 90's anymore, and the progression of technology and fabric production allows for them to be used in acceptable ways. The Falcons set has a couple of issues holding it back from totally working, but the gradient is not one of those issues. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, L10nheart404 said:

Can? Yes. Will? Probably not. Head-to-toe mono is 🔥 🔥 🔥 these days. 

1 hour ago, Colin_Pernett said:

Mono black and mono white are acceptable to me. I don’t prefer it, but it doesn’t look silly like going head to toe in a bright color. I know that’s a hot take around spacer.png

This mismatched jersey and pants is clearly superior though. Dare i says it’s actually really good.

Put it next to the throwback, and you can clearly see the similarity, and they're both quite good, albeit one is better than the other. But yeah, we can agree on that.

1 minute ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I don't think this entirely true.

Well, I haven't polled everyone who dislikes them, so it's subjective. But honestly, I like them, and will love them under stadium lights and actual sunshine. To each is own, and hopefully we get to see all the new uniforms in action this season.

4 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

While I think the gradient uniform is the single worst element (and honestly, the single worst uniform in the NFL today on design alone, even worse than the Rams-Bone.  Though I still think based on frequency that I dislike the bone uniforms more), I think there's more wrong with this set then simply those.

For starters, the side stripe ruins a good chunk of the uniform.  It makes the red pants almost unusable because the stripes don't match (ruining the side stripe effect).  Side stripes just don't look particularly good on a handful of NFL body types and doesn't always match up creating a weird, disjointed look.  The number font is really bad.  I think it's far worse than just the number 6.  They give off that look of a 3D movie when you're not wearing the glasses.  The ATL is honking.  It screams "We put this on here so people from Atlanta will buy it 'cause it says ATL!"  It doesn't improve the design of the uniform, and just stands out awkwardly.  It should be 50% the size if you deem it necessary to be on there.  

The problem is that the side-stripe, the numbers, and the ATL make up most of the general design on the uniform.  I think there's a fairly decent set in there.  Take the side stripe off the jersey (it allows the usage of the red pants and gets rid of awkward mis-matchy stripes).  Relegate the monochrome blacks to secondary status and elevate the white pants at home (you can keep the all-blacks for a "big game" vibe or whatever).  Fix the uniform number set to something that isn't as headache-inducing.  Reduce the ATL size about 50% - you can keep the nod to the city while not making it such a prominent focal point for the eyes.  What you end up with is the Falcons looking pretty decent.  I don't think it's their "best look" or anything (I think red-lid-black-uniform is something they should own), but they can be a "black team", have a few mixy-matchy options with red pants, they can save the all-black for a big game vibe, and they're not a bottom-tier uniform set.  If you want them to have a "modern" feel, you can play with the number font a bit and make it "modern" without the weird side-shadow red that just looks funky.  Instead of a 9 on the "funk" scale...tone it down to a 6.  With the satin-black helmet, the full black option and a "modern" font, and you get a team who doesn't have to look entirely traditional, while still being generally unoffensive.  They probably don't "stand out", but I think it'd be preferable to not stand out than to do so for negative reasons.

3 hours ago, Colin_Pernett said:

spacer.png

Don’t be sad...’cuz 3 of of 7 ain’t bad.

#1 (monochrome black, #4 throwback, and #7 black/white/black) all look decent. The others are garbage.  

How can you eff up three different looks with the white jersey?  

2 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

Don’t be sad...’cuz 3 of of 7 ain’t bad.

#1 (monochrome black, #4 throwback, and #7 black/white/black) all look decent. The others are garbage.  

How can you eff up three different looks with the white jersey?  

I only see 1 good looking uniform there, and it ain't any of the new ones. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

8 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I know the Seahawks uniform gets some support but I have trouble understanding why anybody who puts the Bengals and Cardinals on the bad list could turn around and like Seattle.

The Seahawks' look is bad. I'd put it just slightly above the Rams, Falcons, Cardinals, Bengals, Titans tier. It was among the worst in the league when it debuted, but stuff like the Rams and Falcons (and previously the Bucs, Jags, and Browns) really blew the Seahawks away in terms of overall awfulness.

4 hours ago, henburg said:

I think that the notion of a gradient being inherently outdated is a bit... outdated. It's not strictly a relic of the 90's anymore, and the progression of technology and fabric production allows for them to be used in acceptable ways. The Falcons set has a couple of issues holding it back from totally working, but the gradient is not one of those issues. 

Gradient cycles in and out of style. It was big in the 90s (because of technology) and it grew old fast. I don't suspect gradient like we see in the Rams and Falcons' unis will be any more resilient.

Too bad the season thread was nuked and forced league-wide convo here.

I like that the NFL of 2020 has something for everyone. The Packers and Bears for people who want classic looks. The Rams for people who like avant garde football design. The Chargers and Buccaneers for safe updates. And the Cardinals for people who desperately want it to be 2006 forever.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

54 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Too bad the season thread was nuked and forced league-wide convo here.

I guess you need to start one in the other forum where we discuss sports logos, instead of this one, where we discuss sports logos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

The Seahawks' look is bad. I'd put it just slightly above the Rams, Falcons, Cardinals, Bengals, Titans tier. It was among the worst in the league when it debuted, but stuff like the Rams and Falcons (and previously the Bucs, Jags, and Browns) really blew the Seahawks away in terms of overall awfulness. 

I may be in the minority but I think the Seahawks uniforms have not aged well. They are 8 years old now and, as they may not be dated like the Cardinals and Bengals, they have started a new era of being dated.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I guess you need to start one in the other forum where we discuss sports logos, instead of this one, where we discuss sports logos.

Okay, I hear you, but what if I want to discuss sports logos? Where do I do that?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 hours ago, Colin_Pernett said:

I wonder what the gradient jersey with the red pants would look like

Also these have grown on me considerably. Still hate the monochrome and the gradient, but the contrasting ones seem fine. Red pants look like they're gonna clash with everything though

24 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

I wonder what the gradient jersey with the red pants would look like

Also these have grown on me considerably. Still hate the monochrome and the gradient, but the contrasting ones seem fine. Red pants look like they're gonna clash with everything though

Doesn't make sense to have a black stripe on the red pants when no jerseys have black stripes. Should have just gone solid red. Even a red to black gradient, while not ideal, could have worked. 

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

Doesn't make sense to have a black stripe on the red pants when no jerseys have black stripes. Should have just gone solid red. Even a red to black gradient, while not ideal, could have worked. 

A solution would just be to remove the jersey stripes 

9 hours ago, throwmesomepics said:

A solution would just be to remove the jersey stripes 

Everyone wants the stripes and ATL removed. Then we'd have 3 teams in the NFC South that basically just have a blank jersey with logos on the sleeves. Just seems boring and generic. 

Archived