Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

1 minute ago, Lights Out said:

The old look was better. Still not ideal, but better. Their big mistake with that set was getting rid of the black jerseys and pants. This caused that set to start looking boring and stale, especially on the road, where the "stormtrooper" look was their only option anymore. Their road look was more balanced with black pants.

spacer.png

I totally agree the last set sorely missed the black jersey and pants options. This away look and the all black home didn't need to be replaced...and if we never got new uniforms, I would've been happy if they brought the black options back to satisfy the fans.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I prefer the overall simplification of the new set versus the overly designed old look, it was very bizarre how they dropped all of the mix and match combos. That design was screaming to be the poster child for mix and match “Oregon of the NFL” if you will, and to roll with only red/white and white/white was disappointing. It’s as if they wanted to be a classic club with only two primary uniforms (besides the throwback) and yet the design was so modern. There were so many combinations that weren’t utilized. Black/white, black/black, white/black, and red/black were forgotten. I suspect they were ditched when they changed their alternate to the throwbacks. This was a time when the league wasn’t so lax about having multiple uniforms and I believe the throwback had to replace the black jersey as the third choice. But they could have kept the black pants and used them with the red and white jerseys. I was also surprised when they didn’t bring the black back for Color Rush several years ago and went with all red, which was only worn one single time.

7 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

There were so many combinations that weren’t utilized. Black/white, black/black, white/black, and red/black were forgotten. I suspect they were ditched when they changed their alternate to the throwbacks

Yeah, I was really disappointed to see these combos disappear f7d6be18a565290f568921eb97860aed.jpg0*bNHCAyzUPaaG6Tsc.jpgphotos.medleyphoto.9192053.jpg

44 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The old look was better. Still not ideal, but better. Their big mistake with that set was getting rid of the black jerseys and pants. This caused that set to start looking boring and stale, especially on the road, where the "stormtrooper" look was their only option anymore. Their road look was more balanced with black pants.

spacer.png

One of my favorite all-time favorite uniform combos.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Unpopular opinion (??):  the previous Falcons set was just about as bad as it gets IMO, even with black jerseys and pants in the rotation. They were a complete mess of piping an paneling--right up there with the Cardinals.

I'm happy to see the old set gone, as anything with piping is long overdue to be dumped. I'd say the overall simplicity of Atlanta's new set is pretty nice, but I think going with a simple look naturally makes any flaws stand out a bit more. Nitpicking a bit here:

• I'm okay with the oversized helmet logo but the facemask needs to be black. As is, the logo is competing for attention against the metallic facemask, which makes the helmet feel like there is too much going on. The current mask would look much better if they were to add gray/silver pants to go with it (more on that below). It's only made worse by the fact that they essentially "borrowed" the look of their new masks from their division rival's old set. Therefore, it doesn't feel fresh -- at all. Did TB just ship their old facemasks to Atlanta?  🙃
  • You've already got the oversized logo on the helmet, so give me an abstract wing design on the sleeves instead of a smaller, redundant version of the logo on the sleeves. A secondary logo would otherwise be ideal here, but I suppose they don't really have one. 
  • I can look past the oversized ATL. 'Atlanta' would look better, but it is what it is.
  • While the gradient set is not ideal either, I am trying to withhold judgement on that until I see it on the field. It looks something like a 'Hotlanta' city edition NBA jersey, so I kind of get what they were going for. The trendy stuff tends to get stale and dated rather quickly, so you can see why the NBA/Nike will cycle through those loud alternates after only a year or two. While I don't think it really has a place in the NFL, I think it'll be interesting to see jersey sales on those as it might indicate how many other teams might consider adopting more wild alternates.
  • The side panels/stripes on the jerseys make this set feel dated already. The red pants can't properly be worn with any of the jerseys due to the mismatched stripes. So what is the point of the red pants? 
  • They really missed an opportunity here to add a gray/silver or even metallic gold as a tertiary trim color on these uniforms. Gray/silver pants would have been wonderful. Since the red pants don't really work, they should've used gray pants with red stripes instead. 
  • All that leading up to my main problem, which is with the numbers. Oversized numbers are fine but the added size only exacerbates any flaws, so you better nail the font if you are going big. Square, angular numbers make sense to pair with their logo, so why subtly round the edges? The drop shadows are not needed and look out of place. I see the drop shadows as just another element that will quickly date these uniforms. The only numbers that look right to me are the 7 and perhaps the 0. All of the others need refinement for my taste. The 1 has ridiculous serifs, so Julio's jersey almost reads like 77. The 2 might be the worst offender, as the little "beak" coming off the 2 and the skinny crossbars look ridiculous. I could go on, but those stand out to me as crap due to the star power of the players (and therefore fans) wearing those numbers. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Looking back on my original review, my opinions on this set are not nearly as harsh as they were originally. Overall, I think this set is a slight upgrade, though the misses when it comes to the smaller details are what really bring this set down.

I don’t mind the silver facemask as much as I originally did, as others have mentioned it sort of fits with the modern, almost robotic aesthetic of the stadium.

Looking at the set, I could honestly pick out a problem with every little design decision. The side panels, number font, logo on the sleeve, “ATL,” and the red pants are all questionable at best. Still, when viewed from a distance, I can’t bring myself to hate it. If they could stick with the right combos (I’m not optimistic they will) I don’t think this set would be terrible. 

Honestly just adding grey pants would have saved this set for me. It would make the white jersey pop the way it would need and give 3 possible decent combinations for the black jersey.

Growing up as a Falcons fan I always loved the all black look from the vick days and the silver of the previous era. Adding grey pants would kinda cater to those 90s fans and give more balance to the overall set. Also the piping could match! lol 

ATL

2 hours ago, mike2sana said:

Honestly just adding grey pants would have saved this set for me. It would make the white jersey pop the way it would need and give 3 possible decent combinations for the black jersey.

Growing up as a Falcons fan I always loved the all black look from the vick days and the silver of the previous era. Adding grey pants would kinda cater to those 90s fans and give more balance to the overall set. Also the piping could match! lol 

Somebody made a concept (either posted to here or Twitter) that essentially added grey pants and reduced the size of the "ATL", and the uniform actually looked great. I wish I had saved the pictures, because they showed how details can really hold a look back. 

spacer.png

8 hours ago, henburg said:

Somebody made a concept (either posted to here or Twitter) that essentially added grey pants and reduced the size of the "ATL", and the uniform actually looked great. I wish I had saved the pictures, because they showed how details can really hold a look back. 

I remember that one.  Yeah, shrink the ATL, fiddle a bit with that clunky font, and get some gray pants (which I'd just wear exclusively) and that's not a terrible look. 

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:
13 hours ago, henburg said:

I remember that one.  Yeah, shrink the ATL, fiddle a bit with that clunky font, and get some gray pants (which I'd just wear exclusively) and that's not a terrible look. 

When it was revealed that we'd have multiple pants options, I for sure thought they were going to go with black, white, and gray/silver. That would theoretically double as two throwbacks, the red and black sets from the 80s-90s.

EVG8tcxUMAA1T3S?format=jpg&name=largeEVG8tdKU0AATQdc?format=jpg&name=large

1 hour ago, L10nheart404 said:

When it was revealed that we'd have multiple pants options, I for sure thought they were going to go with black, white, and gray/silver. That would theoretically double as two throwbacks, the red and black sets from the 80s-90s.

This was the pic I was talking about! I still don't love the font, but this would be a really good modern uniform. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

I really don't understand how teams can look at things like this (guarantee you they tried out every color and combination available) and still go with monochrome. It just doesn't make sense to me

10 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

I really don't understand how teams can look at things like this (guarantee you they tried out every color and combination available) and still go with monochrome. It just doesn't make sense to me

Because they listened to their players...

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Because they listened to their players...

And that's the problem, and why we wind up with dumpster fires like these new Falcons uniforms. Players shouldn't have any say in the uniform, especially considering the average career is only 4 years, and most players wind up playing for more than one team during their career.

It's the FANS who should have input, and it's quite clear that the new/old Buccaneers and Browns uniforms came about because they listened to the fans and undid their ridiculous player-sanctioned uniforms. I suspect we'll see the same with the Falcons and Rams in 2025.

What is it with players wanting to be dressed head to toe in one color? There's nothing unique about it if everybody is doing it, and if anything it is bad for branding. Maybe that's why the Yankees haven't changed anything since 1927...

5 hours ago, Bluefalcon said:

. I suspect we'll see the same with the Falcons and Rams in 2025.

Ehh...Rams maybe  revise the away uniform. But the Falcons just need gray pants instead of red, make the gradient strictly a fashion/fan jersey, and add a Red helmet next year. They'll be fine if they do that.

Archived