Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

3 hours ago, Volt said:

I said this way earlier in the thread, and this shows why it works so well.  Black helmet, black jersey, black socks....grey pants.  It's a tremendous look, and translates well to the White jersey/socks.  

The fact that this didn't happen shows that the world is run by the wrong people.

You nailed it, and this is the problem with letting players, who are with a team only 4-5 years on average, have input to a team's uniform while not soliciting input from the fanbase who has been there since the team's inception. Perhaps this explains why so many recent rebrandings have been undone (Jaguars, Buccaneers, Browns, Bills, Vikings) and reverted to more conservative designs. Maybe it's because most of the current players in the NFL grew up watching "Any Given Sunday" which heavily featured all-black unitard uniforms.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 11:30 AM, Bluefalcon said:

You nailed it, and this is the problem with letting players, who are with a team only 4-5 years on average, have input to a team's uniform while not soliciting input from the fanbase who has been there since the team's inception. Perhaps this explains why so many recent rebrandings have been undone (Jaguars, Buccaneers, Browns, Bills, Vikings) and reverted to more conservative designs. Maybe it's because most of the current players in the NFL grew up watching "Any Given Sunday" which heavily featured all-black unitard uniforms.

I feel like there is some faulty logic going on here:

1.  How many Falcons fans have been on board since1966 (the team's inception)?

2.  What makes you think fans have a better eye for uniform design than whomever designed this uniform?

3.  Wouldn't the fans have also grown up watching Any Given Sunday?

4.  I think you give too much credit to Any Given Sunday

47 minutes ago, Bluefalcon said:

Fans have just as bad tastes as players a lot of times, especially the vocal ones who go out and buy the new stuff because it’s “fire” or “clean” just as a few examples

20 minutes ago, dont care said:

Fans have just as bad tastes as players a lot of times, especially the vocal ones who go out and buy the new stuff because it’s “fire” or “clean” just as a few examples

That's true, but I do believe that the throwback jerseys were outselling the 'newfangled' ones for each of those teams...if that were not the case, they would likely have kept the more current uniforms.

3 hours ago, Bluefalcon said:

That's true, but I do believe that the throwback jerseys were outselling the 'newfangled' ones for each of those teams...if that were not the case, they would likely have kept the more current uniforms.

Throwback jerseys are always going to sell, regardless of how well or poorly designed new uniforms are, but I would like to see evidence that throwbacks actually outsell any current uniform.  I don't think that's possible, regardless of how popular a throwback happens to be.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Throwback jerseys are always going to sell, regardless of how well or poorly designed new uniforms are, but I would like to see evidence that throwbacks actually outsell any current uniform.  I don't think that's possible, regardless of how popular a throwback happens to be.

You'd have to compare sales by % of production. 

My guess is current unis have bigger production runs than throwbacks. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

340?cb=20130925050907

It's still the same all-black uniform... just with a white towel.  That photo actually made the argument worse since the "accessory" that breaks it up is a towel that's not even used by most players, and isn't even part of a uniform.

Todd Gurley has on white socks, which was the main point, to show the all black unis with something other than the knee-high church socks. 

8 hours ago, dont care said:

Still all black uniforms, accessories don’t change that

Why is this even an argument...like was that ever a debate? Some one said " those uniforms need white socks. The black socks look like pajamas/leotards"... Then I posted my point about being able to switch it up as the screen shot illustrates. Why in the hell are people still saying "it's still all black" ...Duh! I can clearly see that. My original post was about the all black accessories only, never about the uniforms themselves (jersey/pants). It's easy to go back a few pages and see exactly what I wrote.

The problem is that screenshot isn't accurate: the NFL doesn't require the half white socks anymore, meaning the socks will be all-black, only furthering the awful pajama look. And the accessories players wear will not change the fact that the uniform will be entirely black or entirely white. If they go with black over white or white over black more often than not, I will be very, very surprised. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

11 minutes ago, Digby said:

What is so special about the grey pants? They just look dirty and don’t match the rest of this uniform set. 

The Falcons wore gray or silver pants for approximately half of the franchise’s existence. I think they would tie in very well with the silver facemask and be a nice blending of eras. They could replace the red pants, which currently match nothing (due to the black stripe).

On 6/17/2020 at 6:30 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

That's the worst uniform matchup possible, maybe one of the worst ever, yikes. 

The Rams uniforms actually look like they just came out of the washer and the detergent was not put in. 

5 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

The Falcons wore gray or silver pants for approximately half of the franchise’s existence. I think they would tie in very well with the silver facemask and be a nice blending of eras. They could replace the red pants, which currently match nothing (due to the black stripe).

Yeah, those red pants are so random, despite being an obvious team color. Gray/Silver would've been the preferred choice.

13 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

Can't wait to see these in action.xmff9kor43751.jpg

Aside from the gradient that should be removed, the side stripe on the jersey doesn't make any sense for continuity.  Yes, it works with just white and black pants. But the red pants, which I think would be a great alt look, doesn't work with a black stripe and red stripes on the jerseys.  Simply removing the jersey stripe makes all combos work.

1 hour ago, dbofox said:

Simply removing the jersey stripe makes all combos work.

True. That'll kill the marketing reason for the stripe though. It's supposed to be a "stoop" ...as in a falcon diving from the skies, so it makes sense with the way it was designed. I just don't think it's particularly necessary, even though it's not that offensive to me

2 hours ago, dbofox said:

Aside from the gradient that should be removed, the side stripe on the jersey doesn't make any sense for continuity.  Yes, it works with just white and black pants. But the red pants, which I think would be a great alt look, doesn't work with a black stripe and red stripes on the jerseys.  Simply removing the jersey stripe makes all combos work.

I've mentioned this before. Removing the stripe would mean 3 teams in the NFC south basically just wear blank jerseys. Bucs and Saints have no stripes, no design features aside from changing the colors and slapping a logo on the sleeve. 

19 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I've mentioned this before. Removing the stripe would mean 3 teams in the NFC south basically just wear blank jerseys. Bucs and Saints have no stripes, no design features aside from changing the colors and slapping a logo on the sleeve. 

Would that matter though? How many teams have jerseys with no stripes?

• Falcons
  • Ravens
  • Jags
  • Dolphins
  • Saints
  • Giants
  • Raiders
  • Eagles
  • Bucs

39 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Would that matter though? How many teams have jerseys with no stripes?

• Falcons
  • Ravens
  • Jags
  • Dolphins
  • Saints
  • Giants
  • Raiders
  • Eagles
  • Bucs

I understand what you mean, but yeah, it's ok for some teams to have something that distinguishes them from others, even if it doesn't appeal or please everyone. If everyone did the same thing, the league would look lifeless and "traditional". MLB is the only league where I think that's suitable. 

25 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

I understand what you mean, but yeah, it's ok for some teams to have something that distinguishes them from others, even if it doesn't appeal or please everyone. If everyone did the same thing, the league would look lifeless and "traditional". MLB is the only league where I think that's suitable. 

What I'm saying is that a no-stripe jersey wouldn't be totally foreign to the NFL. If a team were to go down the Saint's route with no pant stripes and look like a leotard, then that would be a problem(funny since the Saints have gold pants with a black stripe that fit perfectly with both jerseys). Saints to wear black jerseys and gold pants in Week 12 vs. RamsScramble: Look What You Made Us Do | Football Outsiders

Archived