Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

35 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

While I agree with your overall sentiment that teams should look their best for as many games as possible, I can definitely see the appeal of reserving an alternate for special occasions, even if it may be your “best” uniform.

A perfect example for me would be the Buccaneers, if they brought back the creamsicle uniforms. While it would probably become my favorite of the Bucs’ uniforms, I no longer want them to base the whole set around the creamsicle, the away option wouldn’t work nearly as well as the home, in my opinion. 

Sometimes, reserving those iconic uniforms for only a few games keeps them feeling special. Other times, its best to go all-in on that look that is most iconic (the Chargers being a perfect example, with powder blue.)

Well, yeah, obviously they shouldn't wear any uniform that doesn't seem special or worthy of wearing, so by that measure the alternate will be something the fans want to see, at least occasionally.  My problem is with teams that seem to know the look they've designated as alternate is clearly the one most fans prefer and/or is their most recognizable and "iconic" (overused term, I know) look. You saw this for years with the Brewers and Padres in baseball, made all the worse by the cynical way management would answer the fan's requests for these uniforms by tossing out the alternates as though that should satisfy them. Both those teams finally capitulated. I think this is exactly what's currently happening in Miami with the Dolphins.  The team knows fans will buy the primary uniform because it's the "real" one, while simultaneously selling the clearly superior throwback, double dipping the sales. Meanwhile, the team is only playing two or three times a year in their best look. Seems dumb to me. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, yeah, obviously they shouldn't wear any uniform that doesn't seem special or worthy of wearing, so by that measure the alternate will be something the fans want to see, at least occasionally.  My problem is with teams that seem to know the look they've designated as alternate is clearly the one most fans prefer and/or is their most recognizable and "iconic" (overused term, I know) look. You saw this for years with the Brewers and Padres in baseball, made all the worse by the cynical way management would answer the fan's requests for these uniforms by tossing out the alternates as though that should satisfy them. Both those teams finally capitulated. I think this is exactly what's currently happening in Miami with the Dolphins.  The team knows fans will buy the primary uniform because it's the "real" one, while simultaneously selling the clearly superior throwback, double dipping the sales. Meanwhile, the team is only playing two or three times a year in their best look. Seems dumb to me. 

Yea, the Brewers and Padres are right there with the Chargers as teams who finally went back to the identities the fans have been clamoring for, for the most part. The Dolphins aren’t as clear-cut of a case for me personally, as if forced to choose I’d probably pick the current set over the throwbacks, showing just how subjective these opinions are. For them, I think a mix between the throwbacks and the modern set would be ideal.

On 6/28/2020 at 8:52 PM, MJD7 said:

Apologies for Saints-jacking this thread again, but I’d love to see the Saints adopt the darker, brassier gold of the Color Rush to their helmets.

If I may:

q7cRJjz.jpg

Even better, with gold pants:

wIh3jaU.jpg

This would be a perfect Saints uniform, in my opinion.

Add black stripes to those socks and you’re on to something. 

On 6/28/2020 at 8:52 PM, MJD7 said:

Apologies for Saints-jacking this thread again, but I’d love to see the Saints adopt the darker, brassier gold of the Color Rush to their helmets.

If I may:

q7cRJjz.jpg

Even better, with gold pants:

wIh3jaU.jpg

This would be a perfect Saints uniform, in my opinion.

Greatest Saints look I have EVER Seen

fiowXOD.png

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing particularly noteworthy but I believe this is the first look at the practice uniforms.

Found this on a Facebook page for a local seamstress- Mary’s Alterations. Apparently she regularly works on the team’s uniforms.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Several new photos have been released with the all black uniforms. I wish we’d get another look at the black jersey with white pants. On the whole, these aren’t great by any means but they aren’t the dumpster fire that many are making them out to be. I still rate them better than the overly cluttered old design.

1 minute ago, aawagner011 said:

Several new photos have been released with the all black uniforms. [1]I wish we’d get another look at the black jersey with white pants. On the whole, [2]these aren’t great by any means but [3]they aren’t the dumpster fire that many are making them out to be. [4]I still rate them better than the overly cluttered old design.

[snip]

1 - I'm not sure that they will wear it that way - they are pushing monochrome

2 - Agreed

3 - Disagreed

4 - Maybe - I'm waiting to see them in game action before I judge that

It's where I sit.

Yes they are a dumpster fire.  The numbers look like they're blured or something due to the red shadow, and everything being oversized is just bush league.  The only thing that doesn't suck is the helmet... but that's not saying it's great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

These would be substantially better with just block numbers and even the “ATL”, if it were in a normal font. But that custom font is just laughable.

It’s the spiritual successor to the last iteration of the Browns unis. Pure trash overdesigned so someone in the social media department can make fire emoji tweets.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

10 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

These would be substantially better with just block numbers and even the “ATL”, if it were in a normal font. But that custom font is just laughable  if they didn't exist. 

It’s the spiritual successor to the last iteration of the Browns unis. Pure trash overdesigned so someone in the social media department can make fire emoji tweets.

Fixed that first line for you. :) You're spot on, though. It's hard to think that a design this simplified can still be over-designed, but it is. 

I've said it before, that in the afterglow of the LA Rams reveal, my dislike for these has tempered somewhat. But these are still a huge missed opportunity. More than anything, I'm left with a feeling of genuine disappointment. The Falcons have such a fantastic uniform history on which to draw that it's frustrating to see them take this path. 

I think I'm learning this about myself: When it comes to football uniforms, I much prefer modernizations of classic designs that adapt to today's fabric choices and uniform cuts, while allowing small touches of design innovation. The Vikings uniforms are a great example of this. It's also a big reason why I love what the Chargers have done, but was also underwhelmed by the Browns and Buccaneers. They each look much better by adopting previous designs, but they also lack ambition. 

The side-angled views of these uniforms make them look way better. The red stripe down the side actually adds some nice contrast in my opinion, which is really lacking in the straight away view where the uniform is 90% black. A red tapered stripe on the helmet would help unify it with the rest of the set. Red socks would also significantly help the mono black set, although this surely isn't fire emoji enough to be considered.

Based on their schedule, there's a chance we may not see them in white until Week 6. First road game is at Dallas and the next is at Green Bay on Monday Night, which the Packers wore Color Rush white for this past season.

37 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

The side-angled views of these uniforms make them look way better. The red stripe down the side actually adds some nice contrast in my opinion, which is really lacking in the straight away view where the uniform is 90% black. A red tapered stripe on the helmet would help unify it with the rest of the set. Red socks would also significantly help the mono black set, although this surely isn't fire emoji enough to be considered.

Based on their schedule, there's a chance we may not see them in white until Week 6. First road game is at Dallas and the next is at Green Bay on Monday Night, which the Packers wore Color Rush white for this past season.

Until you see that the side panels don’t meet up with the pants stripes like every Football uniform in the history of side panels.

Archived