Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

Speaking of things about the Falcons' logo that make no sense...

For decades they had silver as part if their uniform, but not on their logo. Then, with the redesign they drop the silver from the uniform, but needlessly add it as a second outline around the logo.  It would be interesting to hear an explanation for that.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I tried to smooth it out a couple days ago.

I don't think the current logo is the worst in the league, but it's got a lot of unnecessary stuff going on

I think I like the current body form better. It’s presence is crisper and sharper, and I still like the way it conveys motion despite its age. That said, The current one is packed too tightly with detail, so there’s some important stuff happening in your version. I’m particularly fond of the new beak and the extra breathing room around it, as well as the smaller red details. I’ve never liked the shape of the eye in the current, but making the eye smaller doesn’t feel right. These types of birds have big eyes and short beaks by design.

Honestly, I think the current body is totally serviceable if you take cues from their original logo; remove the silver, tinker with the red and the beak a little (as you did), maybe even move the wing and foot a tiny bit farther forward. There’s a delicate balance with that move, but it’s one thing the original logo definitely had right, with the wing starting closer to the head and the tail sticking out a bit more.

spacer.png

19 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Ewwww that's an awful way to design "motion". 

Why is the outline near the top wider than the bottom?  Why is the outline below the beak thinner than above the claws? 

It's not a clean and good logo...it's really quite a mess. @McCarthy's fix makes it a lot better.  

Asymmetrical outline thickness was a popular device when these came out 15-20 years ago (maybe that was even partly *because* of logos like these), and while things went overboard and we ended up with asymmetrical outlines on several logos that didn’t really need them for any communicative purpose, I think this is one where it works well.

It’s essentially communicating aerodynamics and thrust in graphic form, which I think is quite clever and fitting for the world’s fastest animal:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That reverse taper from small and tight at the front of the beak to wide and powerful at back of the tail is evocative of what we perceive as fast, particularly in the context of something that’s in flight.

I think you’re right that there are some areas that could use some finesse, but hey, it’s 15 years old; all designers wish they could have a few mulligans after that amount of time, and I’m sure Mark is no exception.

Some of you probably remember the stuff I used to post here 15 years ago (and how bad it was), so let’s just say I know the feeling... 😂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I really don't like either version of the current logo.  A falcon is supposed to be speed, agility and deadliness rolled into one.  

Both versions looked nothing like a falcon in the first place.  The current version looks like an eagle rather than a falcon.

And does it really need to be shaped as an F?  Might as well tell us to go F ourselves...

I mean, are they the Falcons or the Buzzards?

2 hours ago, Mischief said:

I really don't like either version of the current logo.  A falcon is supposed to be speed, agility and deadliness rolled into one.  

Both versions looked nothing like a falcon in the first place.  The current version looks like an eagle rather than a falcon.

And does it really need to be shaped as an F?  Might as well tell us to go F ourselves...

I mean, are they the Falcons or the Buzzards?

They do look like falcons, just look at the post above yours, also the talon is to make an abstract F to differentiate it from other birds and identify it as clearly a falcon, Incase you don’t know what a falcon looks like, like you.

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Speaking of things about the Falcons' logo that make no sense...

For decades they had silver as part if their uniform, but not on their logo. Then, with the redesign they drop the silver from the uniform, but needlessly add it as a second outline around the logo.  It would be interesting to hear an explanation for that.

It has to be the same person that told the Indiana Pacers and Memphis Grizzlies to add silver outlines to their logos.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:18 AM, ScubaSteve said:

I'd go as far as to say it's the worst primary logo in the league. When you see all of them together, you get a lot of clean, relatively simple looks. And then there's that over-designed nonsense

I'll take anything over the Browns helmet.

On 1/22/2020 at 2:18 PM, ScubaSteve said:

I'd go as far as to say it's the worst primary logo in the league. When you see all of them together, you get a lot of clean, relatively simple looks. And then there's that over-designed nonsense

quit trollin'

on a more serious note though, any revision to the current logo to make it more realistic or illustrated would make it lesser. its strength is in its abstraction which is how it achieves a strong, balanced, iconic shape and communicates the concept of movement and speed. these are qualities that make good logos which this one has in spades. the goal is not to so much draw what it is, but draw what its doing and you end up with a much better looking shape

i actually love the red streaks as they are, which adds to the aggression and focuses on the speed concept without being over the top. theres nothing i would change about how it is crafted, save for some very detailed areas of the claw.

even the keyline around the logo has been paid attention to and considered in how it works, as Andrew laid out beautifully above. its varied weight is not an oversight but intentional to further the concept and “sharpen” those points.

by all means and measures, it is one of the very best logos in all of sports and should be used as an example of what NFL logos should strive to be. an evolution of a predecessor that which by comparison looks like the sketched version of what it was always intended to be. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I get that some classic logos lend themselves well to that “timeless” feel but the old falcons logo is a poor example of this. Its silhouette has a very uneven weight, the line tool was slapped on the wing for styling, and its monotone color is very uninspiring. The current iteration could use an update sure, but IMO it’s leaps and bounds the better sports logo of the 2. 

Midway.png

10 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

by all means and measures, it is one of the very best logos in all of sports

Well I'm glad you've figured out a metric that confirms your opinion.

I actually think their current identity is one of the least offensive of the Reebok era, and has good elements to build upon. But to claim the logo is one of the best in all of sports is absurd.

spacer.png

On 1/22/2020 at 2:45 PM, McCarthy said:

I tried to smooth it out a couple days ago.

I don't think the current logo is the worst in the league, but it's got a lot of unnecessary stuff going on

This the first time I can truly see an actual bird, its motion/position and the letter F and it all makes sense 😁. Great job!

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

11 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

quit trollin'

on a more serious note though, any revision to the current logo to make it more realistic or illustrated would make it lesser. its strength is in its abstraction which is how it achieves a strong, balanced, iconic shape and communicates the concept of movement and speed. these are qualities that make good logos which this one has in spades. the goal is not to so much draw what it is, but draw what its doing and you end up with a much better looking shape

The Seahawks logo conveys speed just fine without needing ridiculous outlines...the Falcons logo doesn't need ridiculously changing weights to the outlines either.

I know what the bird with the flapping wing is doing...I don't need outlines to tell me that it's flying "fast". I can assume that all on my own without the weird outlines.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:31 PM, jus2damcrazey219 said:

This the first time I can truly see an actual bird, its motion/position and the letter F and it all makes sense 😁. Great job!

That revised logo just looks a little bloated towards the back, and doesn't have the same "attack" motion of the current logo. People are forgetting, the logo isn't supposed to be actual depiction of a bird. Sure the talon can be thinner, but it's a very solid logo.

2 hours ago, burgundy said:

Well I'm glad you've figured out a metric that confirms your opinion.

I actually think their current identity is one of the least offensive of the Reebok era, and has good elements to build upon. But to claim the logo is one of the best in all of sports is absurd.

1. does it reduce in size well?

2. does it work well in multiple applications without losing structural integrity?

3. is it an original, recognizable design?

4. does it represent the team name or city well?

5. creative execution?

6. does it work well on a helmet?

7. is there a sense of pride or positivity? (something people want to wear)

8. is it well crafted without glaring flaws?

9. does it have good color?

10. if theres a concept, does it clearly communicate it?

11. does it have an iconic shape?

12. is there some historic equity?

yes

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

The Seahawks logo conveys speed just fine without needing ridiculous outlines...the Falcons logo doesn't need ridiculously changing weights to the outlines either.

I know what the bird with the flapping wing is doing...I don't need outlines to tell me that it's flying "fast". I can assume that all on my own without the weird outlines.  

it does, but i simply dont agree the varied line weights with ATL are ridiculous. its clear why they're done that way, the intention behind it, and executed perfectly to convey the concept. it doesn't NEED to be that way but the concept is strengthened when even the detail of a keyline is considered.

i think this is all very into the weeds (even for someone who designs logos) and saying "its a bad logo because of the keyline" seems missing the forest for the leaf, but if we're critiquing the keyline anyway, i think its something to appreciate— yes, you understand what is happening keyline or not, but it really takes the craft to another level.  

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

it does, but i simply dont agree the varied line weights with ATL are ridiculous. its clear why they're done that way, the intention behind it, and executed perfectly to convey the concept. it doesn't NEED to be that way but the concept is strengthened when even the detail of a keyline is considered.

i think this is all very into the weeds (even for someone who designs logos) and saying "its a bad logo because of the keyline" seems missing the forest for the leaf, but if we're critiquing the keyline anyway, i think its something to appreciate— yes, you understand what is happening keyline or not, but it really takes the craft to another level.  

If it doesn't NEED to be that way, than a critique that it's overdesigned is a fair one. 

Sometimes less is more. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/23/2020 at 8:33 AM, andrewharrington said:

spacer.png

In a quick search I couldn't find any photo of a falcon flying with wings down and feet out (like the Falcons forced F logo shows). I get that it doesn't have to be literal but I just though it interesting that feet out (to grab) is always in conjunction with wings up (to slow down). Could be wrong but just something I noticed. 

15 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

In a quick search I couldn't find any photo of a falcon flying with wings down and feet out (like the Falcons forced F logo shows). I get that it doesn't have to be literal but I just though it interesting that feet out (to grab) is always in conjunction with wings up (to slow down). Could be wrong but just something I noticed. 

True. The pose seems like artistic license to accentuate the F form, which has been central to the Falcons’ logo since the 60s. Even though it’s realism is questionable, I can’t picture the logo working well without the talon.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived