BlazerBlaze

Falcons New Unis 2020

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The Seahawks logo conveys speed just fine without needing ridiculous outlines...the Falcons logo doesn't need ridiculously changing weights to the outlines either.

I know what the bird with the flapping wing is doing...I don't need outlines to tell me that it's flying "fast". I can assume that all on my own without the weird outlines.  

Coincidentally, the Seahawks logo was created by the same artist. It also shows a lot of variation in the craftsmanship of the linework, just not on the outer keyline.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

If it doesn't NEED to be that way, than a critique that it's overdesigned is a fair one. 

Sometimes less is more. 

nothing NEEDS to be any particular way. its not "over designed" when every detail is working to express a single, unifying concept. that is perfectly designed, despite how we might feel about it aesthetically. critiquing what the logo is trying to do and how it accomplishes that, is separate from our aesthetic or stylistic feelings towards it. 2 perfectly reasonable discussions to have, but i think we're mixing them. 

and ive already said more than i ever care to about key lines :P

7 hours ago, Midway said:

I get that some classic logos lend themselves well to that “timeless” feel but the old falcons logo is a poor example of this. Its silhouette has a very uneven weight, the line tool was slapped on the wing for styling, and its monotone color is very uninspiring. The current iteration could use an update sure, but IMO it’s leaps and bounds the better sports logo of the 2. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "line tool"... that logo was designed in the 60's.  The line tool was a pencil.

At the end of the day, just because I personally don't like something, doesn't mean it's not good. If I don't like the Camaro, does that make it ugly because it has certain traits I personally don't love? Not at all. 

I would be excited to see the Falcons lose their dated mess of a logo if I didn't think they were somehow going to make it worse. 

I almost wouldn’t mind seeing the current logo stripped down to just white lines similar to their old logo. The new one I think is structured a lot better than the old one with those wispy lines. 

spacer.png

I think I posted this a long time ago, but I wondered what the Falcons logo would look like without the red.

lIdfDI4.png

@BrandMooreArt The only logos with “poor craftsmanship” from your example, are the Browns and Jets messes. The falcons are probably the worst of all examples you gave. And even worse you included some fantastic updates to the Vikes, Panthers, Jags and Dolphins as bad logos and then compared it to equally great updates such as the cards, hawks and lions. This is maybe your worst take.

50 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

@BrandMooreArt The only logos with “poor craftsmanship” from your example, are the Browns and Jets messes. The falcons are probably the worst of all examples you gave. And even worse you included some fantastic updates to the Vikes, Panthers, Jags and Dolphins as bad logos and then compared it to equally great updates such as the cards, hawks and lions. This is maybe your worst take.

what is craftsmanship to you? and do you see good craftsmanship in this image?

spacer.png

Got to agree with Brandon here... you may not like the style of the falcons logo but it is crafted very well... the three he posted have some serious design flaws... Panthers goofy mouth & shading on top... Jaguars elongated head & over detailed mess including using two golds which was not necessary... Bucs are two elements that are slapped together that do not match... the clean skull & tattered flag are just a few of the flaws...

3 hours ago, hugevolsfan said:

Got to agree with Brandon here

If you like it, all the power to you.

The problem here is that Brandon is desperately trying to solidify his subjective opinion as objective fact, and it's not working. For obvious reasons.

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

what is craftsmanship to you? and do you see good craftsmanship in this image?

spacer.png

Yes, those are some really good logos, while I do prefer the previous iteration of the bucs flag, they all are well made and look really good

10 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I think I posted this a long time ago, but I wondered what the Falcons logo would look like without the red.

lIdfDI4.png

This on a red helmet, maybe with a touch more weight, a little finessing of the linework in a few areas, and some experimentation with the eye, is all it needs to be.

3 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Yes, those are some really good logos, while I do prefer the previous iteration of the bucs flag, they all are well made and look really good

There are far too many fussy details that don’t scale in the Jags’ and Bucs’ logos (individual hairs in the jaguar spots!?). Raw craftsmanship is less of an issue there, but I think they both took a step backward in terms of style. The old ones looked like logos, icons, simplified interpretations of what they’re supposed to represent. The new ones look like illustrations. They’re the emojis of sports logos with all the extra color tones and unnecessary shading. Both logos already had a blueprint for how to present themselves effectively without extra shading, and I think they went the wrong direction on both. The Jags logo could have been more than serviceable with some alterations to the perspective and composition, and I honestly think the Bucs should have just left well enough alone.

The curves in some of these are not drawn to a high standard, either, Carolina’s being the worst in that regard. The blue highlights around the right eye (viewer’s left), the clumsy transition in the highlight from head to ear just up and to the left of that eye, and the messy slivers of black sandwiched around the outer edge of the chin highlight are so ill-considered I can’t believe they’re part of a professional team’s logo, let alone one that came out just a few years ago. I wouldn’t even show something that clumsily drawn as a first draft. 

I feel that all of the newer logos are vastly superior.  One man's opinion.  I also feel that if the Falcons go with a Red helmet, they'll look terrible. Curious to see what they do with a new logo.  Their current one is kind of ugly looking on its own, but it ends up looking great on a helmet/jersey/retail fanwear.  There's room for improvement but it's not the worst logo in the league by any means.

I’m a huge Falcons fan and I welcome a uniform change, however, I would hate to see the logo changed. I think it’s one of the better ones in the league. You can slightly alter it, but a wholesale change isn’t needed. 

12 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

lIdfDI4.png

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

This on a red helmet

It's just too much like Georgia's helmet. (Current helmet in the middle and another option at the end.)

aJuRiPs.png

2 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

It's just too much like Georgia's helmet. (Current helmet in the middle and another option at the end.)

aJuRiPs.png

I don’t see it as a problem. Do Tech fans gravitate toward the Saints just because the hometown team wears UGA colors? I don’t know the answer, but it would surprise me if they did. If it was a new team, I probably wouldn’t tread those waters, but the Falcons have been around for half a century now, and red and black is an established piece of their brand. The black jersey and white pants with the red lid always separated the overall look enough for me.

Don’t get me wrong, I like them in a black helmet, too, and I think their mostly black and white look from the 90s was very distinctive, I just don’t see the UGA similarity as an issue at this point. People seem to have gotten over it long ago.

6 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

craftsmanship is about an attention to detail, skills with tools, and being able to fulfill a vision with elegance. like fingerprints, they might be hard to see but there are traces left behind from the artist's hand where we find their competency, errors, or where their knowledge of craft either wanes or soars. these 3 shots specifically focus in on areas where craftsmanship is non existent. they are loaded with tangents, tight spaces, poor form (perspective and creating sense of light/shadow), oddly stray points, complexity, incredibly crass lines and shapes. im pretty certain the Jags logo appears so squished and skewed because it actually is. like, they took that artwork and stretched it rather than draw it properly. 

these highlighted areas only touch at the surface. this is not about stylistic preferences or what someone might feel looks better. it is amateur craftsmanship that in worse cases (especially the Jaguars spots) makes the logo difficult to reproduce in various applications. the "Nike era" logos are visual equivalents of someone playing an instrument and constantly hitting bum notes or playing off-beat. the skills to execute their intention is simply not there.

Harrington is actually one of the finest craftsman of logos i know and gives only a brief synopsis on the matter above. i wasn't being hyperbolic when i wrote you could teach a class on how not to build logos with these examples.  or that you could teach proper craft with the "Reebok era" group.

spacer.png 

also throwing in Fraser Davidson's points on the Panthers

spacer.png