Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/15/2020 at 9:40 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Image result for oregon mariota

Related image

Something like this, but put that yoke pattern on the sleeves, is something I think would look great for Atlanta. Just use that wing pattern from the logo and you're good to go. 

I wouldnt mind something like this for the AZ Cardinals, except make the pattern in sillouette of the state flag. 

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Just because Fraser thinks it doesn’t look good doesn’t mean it’s a bad design. 

Is he even around anymore?  Haven't heard much from him in awhile.  According to his dribbble he's much, much more involved in animation branding. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

7 minutes ago, davidson said:

Does too.

30 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Is he even around anymore?  Haven't heard much from him in awhile.  According to his dribbble he's much, much more involved in animation branding. 

Oh.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Just because Fraser thinks it doesn’t look good doesn’t mean it’s a bad design. 

I just can't see someone arguing this point if you are actually looking at the logos with all the design flaws pointed out... To each their own I guess I am by no means a good artist but I can see the flaws in those three logos. I happen to like the Falcons logo & I would still do some things a little different but the design itself is solid....

I never liked the Falcons logo. I understand that since some iteration of it has been around for over 50 years since the team's inception that they aren't going to part with the concept beyond some design tweaks, but its always looked really awkward to me, especially considering how dumb it is to have a Falcon (supposedly) in the shape of an F. Redundant.  

59 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I always worked in animation, but running a studio means I spend less time in sports these days. Although we do a lot of work for the NFL, UEFA, Team Canada, ESPN etc by way of our animated work.
cubstudio.com

I own a company that creates Automated content for social media, rendering in the cloud. Again, got to work with some cool clients.

moshare.co.uk

Still do the odd bit of branding work via my industry friends, Joe Bosack, TJ Harley and a couple others. Got to work on the Alliance Football branding for Joe most recently. 

It’s hard to work in an industry that’s an ocean away and sports is a tough one to crack as it’s so small.

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

craftsmanship is about an attention to detail, skills with tools, and being able to fulfill a vision with elegance. like fingerprints, they might be hard to see but there are traces left behind from the artist's hand where we find their competency, errors, or where their knowledge of craft either wanes or soars. these 3 shots specifically focus in on areas where craftsmanship is non existent. they are loaded with tangents, tight spaces, poor form (perspective and creating sense of light/shadow), oddly stray points, complexity, incredibly crass lines and shapes. im pretty certain the Jags logo appears so squished and skewed because it actually is. like, they took that artwork and stretched it rather than draw it properly. 

these highlighted areas only touch at the surface. this is not about stylistic preferences or what someone might feel looks better. it is amateur craftsmanship that in worse cases (especially the Jaguars spots) makes the logo difficult to reproduce in various applications. the "Nike era" logos are visual equivalents of someone playing an instrument and constantly hitting bum notes or playing off-beat. the skills to execute their intention is simply not there.

Harrington is actually one of the finest craftsman of logos i know and gives only a brief synopsis on the matter above. i wasn't being hyperbolic when i wrote you could teach a class on how not to build logos with these examples.  or that you could teach proper craft with the "Reebok era" group.

spacer.png 

also throwing in Fraser Davidson's points on the Panthers

spacer.png

Your “poor execution” is just stylistic preferences. Once again as @IceCap has stated nothing you have shown makes your subjective opinions anything other than that. 

Who would've thought that art and design is almost inescapably subjective?

twitter

9 minutes ago, dont care said:

Your “poor execution” is just stylistic preferences. Once again as @IceCap has stated nothing you have shown makes your subjective opinions anything other than that. 

But it's not just stylistic preferences, these are all things that have to be taken into account. Design isn't just drawing something pretty. Reproducibility is extremely important in design, and if something is being designed in a way that doesn't take into account if alterations made for reproduction will fundamentally destroy or obscure details, that's bad design. And that Carolina design is embarrassingly amateurish. So many details destroy proper perspective, create unnecessary visual distraction, and quite frankly make the Panther look like it was hit in the face with a shovel.

These guys are professionals, they know what they're talking about. Just because you like a design doesn't mean they're wrong. I mean, I prefer the old Falcons logo to the new one, but it's pretty clearly a worse design.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

39 minutes ago, dont care said:

"its just my style" is something people who can't draw say.

im truly not trying to be a jackass with that. but it supports the point im making i think. but moreover, i'll take it— its my subjective opinion that those logos are poorly crafted. no one has presented a counter point yet except "yea, well you're wrong". i get it, im wrong. now show me how?

but i think we're having 2 differnt conversations here. style is the surface level aesthetics. "i like the way that looks". im talking about how those aesthetics are executed, the production value where skills and practical knowledge is applied. craft is how the stylistic structures are built. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

This is part of a much larger conversation that has nothing to do with the Falcons.

edit:  Speaking of which, I read Brandon Moore's Medium piece on the falcons uniforms and how he basically finds them perfect, and I disagree.

But that's my opinion.

It's cool that somebody could feel that strongly about it, though. 

twitter

I feel like if your that worried about the reproduction of the logo into smaller entities, you’re gonna make other copies that cut out smaller design aspects. I understand what y’all are getting at, but I can’t look at the Panthers or Jags logo (the Bucs I’m less a fan of, and agree it shouldn’t of changed from the previous version) and say their relatively bad logos. I love the the fur texture that’s given off by the spots and it doesn’t take anything away from the design in my eyes, same with the Panthers, it’s a good update of their previous logo, same as the jags, and the perspective issues are something I understand but at the same time aren’t that noticeable to me at least. Tying this back into the threads purpose, the falcons logo I agree isn’t good, is the the worst? No. It’s an example that you guys are getting at where something is off and it’s obviously off and it ruins the whole logo, I think the line weights especially are something that brings the design down. But there’s a difference when something small and minuscule may stick out to us as we tear these logos apart. We can say their bad, but you also have to take into account most people will look at these logos not even have the time and see that from their perspective it looks cool, fierce and well done. You can’t say their bad because you go out of your way to find something that is bad.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Let's calm down a little, folks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you disagree, remain civil when saying so. 

For the record, I've produced and directed all sorts of stuff for TV and video. That doesn't make my opinion on the quality of those endeavors any more valid than the opinion of a viewer. Let's tap the brakes on the "I do this for a living so I know more than you" bull-:censored:. Art is in the eye of the beholder. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived