BlazerBlaze

Falcons New Unis 2020

Recommended Posts

I’m bummed to read they aren’t cleaning the overly rendered, flying metal, falcon shaped monstrosity of a logo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I’m bummed to read they aren’t cleaning the overly rendered, flying metal, falcon shaped monstrosity of a logo. 

Monstrosity? Everyone has their opinions, but the logo is nowhere near a monstrosity. It's middle of the pack, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I very much like the current Falcons logo. It's a logo, it doesn't have to look exactly like a bird. Fits well on a helmet -- which is the point -- and speaks to the vitality of the franchise under Arthur Blank, who undoubtedly took one of the most forgotten teams in sports and lifted it up. I think the "robo bird" has a lot of sentimental value, even for older Falcons fans. Yes, the old bird has become increasingly popular because throwback nostalgia is a powerful pyschological tool in sports branding these days, but I wouldn't consider the old logo better. Nor would I consider the current to be bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Monstrosity? Everyone has their opinions, but the logo is nowhere near a monstrosity. It's middle of the pack, at least.

It's over designed to a fault. I'd say it's about half way to being a good logo but never was forced to be refined properly by the art director. Good concept and bones but got out of control and was never reigned in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are going to keep the logo then this is all they need to do. Make a white set, keep the black throwback and they're golden.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Weapon X said:

If they are going to keep the logo then this is all they need to do. Make a white set, keep the black throwback and they're golden.

 

spacer.png

I’ve been using this on a madden franchise. I actually like the color rush with the gray 90s pants as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Weapon X said:

If they are going to keep the logo then this is all they need to do. Make a white set, keep the black throwback and they're golden.

 

spacer.png

Invert the number colors as well. Black on red can be a bit of a strain on the eyes from certain angles, even with the white outline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And then it’ll fit Paul Lukas’ exact description of the Buccaneers’ new uniforms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AndrewMLind said:

And then it’ll fit Paul Lukas’ exact description of the Buccaneers’ new uniforms. 

I was just about to say something along the same line, I really hope they don't end up looking drastically close to each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

And then it’ll fit Paul Lukas’ exact description of the Buccaneers’ new uniforms. 

 

His description didn't have black numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

His description didn't have black numbers.

Right, he was saying it would match lucas’ description if they made the numbers white like the poster above him said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

And then it’ll fit Paul Lukas’ exact description of the Buccaneers’ new uniforms. 

This is why I hope theres some orange on the Jersey, I'm sure they won't look like the Falcons with their pewter pants and and Helmet but their home jersey all by itself looks like a Falcons fashion Jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 2:24 PM, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I very much like the current Falcons logo. It's a logo, it doesn't have to look exactly like a bird. Fits well on a helmet -- which is the point -- and speaks to the vitality of the franchise under Arthur Blank, who undoubtedly took one of the most forgotten teams in sports and lifted it up. I think the "robo bird" has a lot of sentimental value, even for older Falcons fans. Yes, the old bird has become increasingly popular because throwback nostalgia is a powerful pyschological tool in sports branding these days, but I wouldn't consider the old logo better. Nor would I consider the current to be bad. 

It's disingenuous to assume the old logo is only becoming popular again because of nostalgia. Keep in mind we're at the point where there is a generation of NFL fans who have only ever known the current logo in their lifetime. If there are members of the younger crowd who find the old logo appealing? It's for reasons beyond nostalgia. Maybe, just maybe, some people like the old logo because it's well-designed? And that some people just prefer its simpler stylings to the overly aggressive and cartoony primary they've been rocking for almost two decades? To write off preference for the old logo as merely nostalgia is to discount the legitimate preference for it among a section of Falcons fans.

 

The current Falcons logo...well it's not bad. I don't think I'll ever buy the idea that it's a bad logo. It's just a product of its time. It reeks of the early 2000s, and that's to be expected. They wanted something modern for 2003 and that's what they got- unnecessary metallic outlines and shading, slanted angles, aggression...the whole deal. And dated doesn't have to be bad. Plenty of logos work as time capsules. I love the Dolphins' throwback logo because I think its dated and grungy stylings call to mind a version of South Florida from the 1960s and 70s, of pastels, beach resorts, and roadside attractions. So in that context? The Falcons having a logo that's unapologetically a logo from 2003 isn't bad in and of itself. The question is...what from that time period (or the logo's tenure) is worth immortalizing? The Dolphins' throwback logo, after all, has a few Super Bowl titles and an undefeated season to its name. Which helps alongside all of the call-backs to 1960s/70s Florida.

 

Well...the Falcons' current logo doesn't have much. They had a generational quarterback and became the talk of the league...until said quarterback was arrested for dog fighting. They had one of the most explosive offences and tough defences in NFL history...and blew a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl.

Granted, the old logo isn't associated with a championship. In fact it's associated with some pretty bad football. And the one Super Bowl they made while wearing it? They got clowned by John Elway playing out the string.

The difference is that, in my opinion, the old logo is more timeless. Neither logo is associated with any great triumph, but old one at least looks like it's something that could work in any era. The current one is firmly a logo of the early 2000s, and it doesn't have the on-field success needed to justify that dated aesthetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jn8 said:

Black on red can be a bit of a strain on the eyes from certain angles, even with the white outline

 

I've never had any problem with this black on red -- nor has anybody else to my knowledge.

 

ct-1995-1996-chicago-bulls-photos

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cujo said:

 

Never had any problem with this black on red -- nor has anybody else to my knowledge.

 

ct-1995-1996-chicago-bulls-photos

I do, but then again I’m a Pistons fan...seeing Dennis Rodman in a Bulls jersey still makes me a bit ill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cujo said:

 

I've never had any problem with this black on red -- nor has anybody else to my knowledge.

 

ct-1995-1996-chicago-bulls-photos

 

 


Context makes a difference.


Basketball is played on a court that’s only about 30m long and 15m wide. Football is played on a field that’s more than 100m long and 50m wide. That’s a lot more ground for a referee to see and cover.

 

The people who keep basketball stats have courtside seats. The people who keep football stats sit in a press box that’s probably 50-100m from the action, if not more.

 

From a fan perspective, basketball players are among the most recognizable due exposed heads and minimum uniform coverage, there are substitution windows, and the scoreboard keeps track of who’s in. Very little of that information is available in real time for fans of other fast-paced sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I genuinely don’t know why people like the old logo. It’s not timeless, it’s insanely dated. It’s way under designed. I’m a falcons fan who was a kid when the logo changed, so I have no real memory of the old one. Maybe o have rose colored glasses for the current one, but I genuinely think it’s the one that is timeless.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Colin_Pernett said:

I genuinely don’t know why people like the old logo. It’s not timeless, it’s insanely dated. It’s way under designed. I’m a falcons fan who was a kid when the logo changed, so I have no real memory of the old one. Maybe o have rose colored glasses for the current one, but I genuinely think it’s the one that is timeless.

 

Not that the current logo is a gem, but the old logo is even more bland and boring. I would get it if there was some "legacy" behind it, but the Falcons never won anything when using the old logo-- unless you count that season MC Hammer bandwagoned or the time Denver slayed them in the Super Bowl.

 

Chalk it up to TFTS -- Throwback for Throwback's Sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cujo said:

 

Not that the current logo is a gem, but the old logo is even more bland and boring. I would get it if there was some "legacy" behind it, but the Falcons never won anything when using the old logo-- unless you count that season MC Hammer bandwagoned or the time Denver slayed them in the Super Bowl.

What does the current logo have going for it beyond electrocuted dogs and the greatest chokejob in sports history?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, IceCap said:

What does the current logo have going for it beyond electrocuted dogs and the greatest chokejob in sports history?

 

So we agree they should do something fresh, even though we know that won't be happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.