Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

The current logo has so much sentimental value that it literally was built into the seats in the east end of the stadium as a major feature of the lower bowl that you see when looking out into the city. There is so much foundation built into the current brand, and the new uniforms were Blank relenting to pressure because they didn't age well. But the logo itself is very symbolic and empowering and means something to fans. 

I've never seen "but the seats" as a viable reason not to pursue a logo or colour change. The cost to replace them can't be THAT great, especially if done over a period of time, and ideally? You have fans in them so it's not like the colours/patterns are visible on game day. And IIRC the seat colours that allude to the Falcons' logo aren't even the majority of seats in their sections. So hypothetically they could be replaced at a relatively low cost. It's not like even half of the seats would need replacing.

But, if we are being serious, the Atlanta Falcons had a massive branding problem for years.

They still kind of do though. Their uniforms were dated well before Super Bowl LI, and that game solidified that look in all the wrong ways. Look, I don't mean to pick on your team. I actually don't have anything against the Falcons. I'm just saying- every retrospective on Tom Brady or the Patriots from now until the end of time will feature footage from that game. That look will be ingrained in the popular consciousness for decades to come as the team that blew 28-3.

The Broncos are an example of what I'm talking about. Objectively speaking? The Elway-era look was sharp, traditional, and distinct with its unique sky blue/orange/white colour balance. They had a locally appropriate logo. Still, those uniforms became associated with the team's inability to win the Super Bowl. Every Super Bowl highlights marathon, every retrospective on Elway's career- just lots of shots of those gorgeous uniforms getting curbstomped by Washington, the Giants, and the 49ers. Broncos players- and a good deal of fans- from 1997 remarked on how the change was necessary because of how everything felt dated (the previous season's flameout in the playoffs against the Jags didn't help, I'm sure). Now go back to 1997- what makes the soon to be replaced Broncos look any more dated than the Cowboys'?

I would argue nothing, aside from the fact that the Cowboys' threads were associated with multiple dynasties (one very recent) whereas the Broncos just had that loser stink on them. The Falcons' soon-to-be-retired uniform is going to be in that same boat. Again, I don't mean to rub anything in, but Super Bowl LI is probably going to go down as, objectively, one of the best Super Bowls of all time. It's good that the Falcons are getting away from those uniforms, but it begs the question of whether or not the logo should go too.

I know that seems like rambling, but I bring it up because Arthur Blank made a huge point to brand the team and the environment to finally feel like a professional team that the town cared about. Both in Atlanta Stadium and the Georgia Dome, when you went to a Falcons game it felt like they were just tenants and a sideshow. 

Blank's logo change wasn't just a logo change -- he took over the branding and exponentially increased the attention to detail in the dome to make it feel like the Falcons' home … red seats, repainting the dome red and black on the outside, paying for red and black signage and creating the ring of honor banners. The logo has a lot of sentinmental value because it speaks to a massive overhaul and the TLC Blank gave the club, and it translated into success. Even with the Vick disaster, the Falcons have made the playoffs 8 out of their 14 appearances since Blank took over in 2002. 

This reminds me A LOT of the Bucs and their uni/logo situation. Both in that ditching the classic mark was seen as a needed change of pace that led to a complete culture overhaul and increased on-field success and the fact that currently the older marks and identities are starting to get some love again. And I don't think that "lol nostalgia" is entirely responsible. Teens and 20-somethings wearing hats with Bucco Bruce or the old Falcons logo aren't longing for the days of their youth.

It's either a hipster retro thing or just genuine preference for those older marks.

I see this as a teacher all the time. Back in Kitchener I taught kids who were barely old enough to remember the Raptors' 90s stuff, but they wore it all the time. And here in Tampa? I'm teaching younger kids who were never alive during Bucco Bruce's tenure, yet it's not unusual to see him on a hat here or there.

To focus on the Falcons though...I think that there are problems beyond just the 03-present logo's association. As I've said, I think it feels dated. It's from the early 2000s, and looks it.
Beyond that though...the silver outline seems odd considering the logo is conveying speed. It's got too many sharp angles, and everything just feels too aggressive and cartoony. My personal tastes lean towards the classic logo, but I have seen attempts at a new mark that uses the present logo as a base. I'd be down for something like that. I just feel like between the negatives it's associated with and its problems as a design? A new direction is needed.

I think it’s fake due to the extra black outline. The logo doesn’t need three outlines. Not to mention that the current logo has varying stroke weights to represent the motion of the bird with thicker weights on the side with the wings and thinner weights towards the beak and claw. Surely if this were real, the extra black outline would match that style rather than slapping a basic one size fits all outline on the logo?

4 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I think it’s fake due to the extra black outline...........

It's fake because there's no way the Falcons can be this ridiculously oblivious

6uXNWAo.png

19 minutes ago, Cujo said:

This has to be fake this has to be fake this has to be fake this has to be fake this has to be fake this has to be fake

EUUqh3AWoAAukSN?format=jpg&name=small

Pretty sure that’s just the Falcons version of Riddell’s “Blaze” helmet series:

spacer.png

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

34 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Pretty sure that’s just the Falcons version of Riddell’s “Blaze” helmet series:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Phew. First time I can remember seeing a “pro” helmet logo look like a semi-embossed “puffy” sticker. 

Although, how absurd would it be if the Falcons’ brass and Nike and the various focus groups all agreed that changing to the Riddell Blaze helmet would be the best move?

5 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Phew. First time I can remember seeing a “pro” helmet logo look like a semi-embossed “puffy” sticker. 

Although, how absurd would it be if the Falcons’ brass and Nike and the various focus groups all agreed that changing to the Riddell Blaze helmet would be the best move?

spacer.pngif that’s what they were doing at least do the better one 

2 hours ago, Weapon X said:

It would be so NIKE to go with a white helmet after everyone is debating whether the helmet should be black or red.

Did you know, Nike has no real control over the shells? They're an easy scapegoat, but they wouldn't be the ones to blame for a helmet blunder.

Do we even know for sure that they're using Nike's design team?  I don't think they're obligated to.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/28/2020 at 11:29 PM, andrewharrington said:

Yeah, but the old one certainly had it’s flaws, too. The focal point is essentially a vast expanse of black emptiness, it’s very static for allegedly being a depiction of a bird in flight, and while we all thoroughly dissected the keyline of the current one over multiple pages, wtf was this keyline?!

spacer.png

I know they updated it toward the end of the all-black era, but come on.

I think something between the old and new would be best, to be honest.

I feel like that logo could use an extra red outline. 

They had it on the jersey and I think adds just enough.

Falcons-throwbacks-f.png

Archived