Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

“The gradient pattern rising from black to red offers a fresh representation of a city constantly on the rise through a visual pattern made from the eye in the Falcon logo.”

I just... What? 

Coming soon: "We've decided to rename our team to Atlanta Phoenix or ATLPHX for short"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Ooof, here I go feeling like my Bucs would be the team that flubs it all up but the Falcons sal "hold my beer".

It pains me to ask, and it wouldnt have helped from the neck down, but a red satin helmet mightve been a better option.

5 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

Found Two things in this video.

1. At least they still have the Standard Socks where they are half-white

2. The White-on-White on the Logoslicks look less bad with Black Socks.

3. OH GOD NO GRADIENT SOCKS AT 1:12/1:13

Holy crap those gradient socks hahahahah

Here's the real reason for the spat of large wordmarks on jerseys. I'll give you a hint, it's not civic pride. 

Numbers take up the bulk of the uniform which is why traditionally football designs have used the sleeves to add distinguishing details. With sleeve space shrunk to a minimum, designers are searching for some other place to put a feature. Otherwise you'd be left with the entire league wearing more or less blank jerseys with differing number fonts and sleeve logos. 

It's the same reason why armpit and side panels are being revisited and the same reason shoulder features are getting more popular. The jersey front is just a new space to add a bumper sticker. 

Images from Video:

How they look with Standard Socks. Seeing it This Way, White on White and Black on White look more passable this way. I'm interested with how White on Black with Red Socks would look.

spacer.png

Very, Very, Very bad Concept. Thank god they didn't go with this.

spacer.png

The Terrifying Gradient Socks. They better not ever wear this.

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

Surely an unpopular opinion, but I ... um... actually love the Falcons' new uniforms. The satin black helmet with a silver facemask is fantastic, and they're pretty clean aside from the red-to-black gradient set (the same can not be said about the previous set). 

I pointed this out on Twitter, as well, but the black jersey with white pants just feels like a natural, modernized progression of the throwback jersey. I can’t justify the gradient, but at least they’ll only wear it from time to time.

I don't hate them. I don't necessarily hate the gradient, but the 2 font bugs me. I get it and what it's there to represent, but it just seems forced.

1 minute ago, Lucas718 said:

I'm scared that gradient jerseys will become the next fad and we'll start seeing them everywhere.

Nah. I don't think it will become the next fad. It feels like an Atlanta thing with the Hawks, etc.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

This design earlier in the concept phase looks a bit better to me, at least as far as the side stripe is concerned. It looks much straighter whereas the final product looks like the stripe curves a bit on the jersey and doesn't go all the way up to the armpit.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Surely an unpopulr opinion, but I ... um... actually love the Falcons' new uniforms. The satin black helmet with a silver facemask is fantastic, and they're pretty clean aside from the red-to-black gradient set (the same can not be said about the previous set). 

I pointed this out on Twitter, as well, but the black jersey with white pants just feels like a natural, modernized progression of the throwback jersey. I can’t justify the gradient, but at least they’ll only wear it from time to time.

I agree that black over white looks good. If they can have the self control to wear contrasting socks, I think this will grow on me over time, even the monochrome. 

The gradient is awful and I hope they never wear it.

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, Beer Barrel Man said:

spacer.png

All the Falcons had to do was base their new set off their throwback on the right and they would have had a winner on hand here, but nah. Let's get Nike with it. 

Mission failed

See you in five years. 

Same color socks and pants on 5 of the 7 uniform schemes.  Good grief, Falcons!  There isn’t a single damn thing about this that is clean and simple.  And now you’ve Buccaneer-ized the falcon on the HELMET?  Even Tampa Bay saw fit to make it smaller this coming season.  

Everything about this is a straight up FAIL.

Well, Nike proves that every once in a while they get things right (Minnesota, Tampa Bay) but that most of the time their natural instinct to innovate at the cost of looking good holds true.  So many bad decisions with Atlanta it is hard to see the good, but I will try.

Good-- Black helmet.  Having a Red alternate jersey along with a Black jersey.  Having a throwback that uses the Deion Sanders period.

Bad-- OK, here we go.

1. Chrome facemask.  They just want to "Oregon" the NFL, so when they lost the chrome in Tampa they put it here. 

2. Side stripes-- never align right when players actually play the game. 

3. Huge "ATL" on front of jersey. That just screams semi-pro league designed by a guy who loves zubaz pants and always asks people how much they bench.

4. blockish number font with sideways drop shadow.  What?  Really?  Who looks at this and says it looks like a good font?

5. Single color socks-- All white, all black, all red.  Why?  Why does Nike hate striped socks?

6. Unitard look-- All white, all black, all red.  again, Why?  

7. Pant stripe-- Even without the jersey striping, this is way too thin and curves in an awkward way. Adding a reverse curve on the jersey does not fix this. 

That is a lot.  How has Nike not realized that we are in a cycle where throwback looks are highly coveted and New "Kewl" looks are viewed as too 1990's to be redone now?  I really think NIKE is losing touch with reality. 

All in all I think this is a great uniform... for the IFL, CIF, or any other 3rd tier arenaball league.  Not for the NFL.  Just like with the Rams logo, it seems that the NFL and NIKE cannot understand that a tasteful throwback-inspired look will always go over better than a gawdy new idea look.  I guess ATL (do we have to call them that now?) will have to wait another 5 years. 

Considering the primary logo has outlines that connotate left-to-right speed, having numbers that are shadowed on the right (making it look right-to-left movement) seems pretty awkward. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

That video is maddening.

OK, so the ATL is a badge of honor for Atlanta. That's fine, I'm not from there, but I can accept that as true. But why make it 3x too large? 

Ok, so the single red stripe running from the side panels down to the pants is derived from the helmet design. Fair enough. But just because it has an origin, doesn't mean it looks good.

And Ok, the gradient, you wanted to do something that's never been done before in the league. Fine. But you also have to recognize that maybe there's a REASON why nobody else in the league has done it before. It's garbage. 

Also, they really made it seem like these uniforms were designed to please the players. Which is fine, I suppose. But man do players have terrible taste. 

15 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Here's the real reason for the spat of large wordmarks on jerseys. I'll give you a hint, it's not civic pride. 

Numbers take up the bulk of the uniform which is why traditionally football designs have used the sleeves to add distinguishing details. With sleeve space shrunk to a minimum, designers are searching for some other place to put a feature. Otherwise you'd be left with the entire league wearing more or less blank jerseys with differing number fonts and sleeve logos. 

It's the same reason why armpit and side panels are being revisited and the same reason shoulder features are getting more popular. The jersey front is just a new space to add a bumper sticker. 

That doesn't explain why the wordmarks need to be so large. They could also just do logo patches like the Steelers do and the Jets used to.

Just now, beachperroAZ said:

The explanation for the gradient jersey just doesn't sell me at all.  Its pure trash.  The rest is pretty good minus the ATL part.  All in all much better than the reebok crap they were wearing. 

What about it doesn't make sense?  They said they wanted to do something unseen in the NFL that would sell to their younger fans.  You might not like it (neither do I) but they got what they wanted.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Were fans really clamoring for black home jerseys?  Based on the fans on this thread, I thought that red - either helmet, jersey, or both - was really popular.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived