BlazerBlaze

Falcons New Unis 2020

Recommended Posts

1.) Get rid of that gimmicky ATL nonsense.

2.) Get rid of the gradient on the red jersey and have that jersey worn with white pants or black pants.

3.) Only wear the black jersey with white pants.

 

In doing all the above, this will rectify many of the issues with this look. I actually like the numbers and white monochrome jerseys in football don't bother me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OBomb said:

1.) Get rid of that gimmicky ATL nonsense.

2.) Get rid of the gradient on the red jersey and have that jersey worn with white pants or black pants.

3.) Only wear the black jersey with white pants.

 

In doing all the above, this will rectify many of the issues with this look. I actually like the numbers and white monochrome jerseys in football don't bother me.

Oh no. We've reached the point where people are suggesting "fixes" which amount to "scrap and change everything" 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:


(To preface, I promise I’m not at all trying to pick on you, it just so happens that your posts are striking up some thoughts! This all just intended for good discussion 🙂 )

 

Anyways, to be honest I’m really struggling to see how this is a simplified version of the previous set. There’s just so much different about the elements of it that I’m not seeing the connection. When you say “simplified 03-19 set”, what I’m seeing in my head is a completely different uniform than what we got.

 

The new set’s facemask is completely different, the helmet logo is enlarged, there’s a completely different (and larger) wordmark, a side panel as opposed to piping, a ton more combinations, a gradient uniform, the number font and side shadow seems a bit more progressive from the previous font than a simplified version (and different colors completely on the white uniform)...it all seems too different to be a simplification of the outgoing set. 

 

I don't feel picked on! 🙂

 

The old set had side panels, arm panels, and leg piping and panels. It ticked every box possible of the early 2000s design fad, and was the Atlanta version of the same basic idea Reebok (or whoever) rolled out to the Cardinals and the Vikings and tons of college programs.

 

In contrast, the new set uses the similar numbers, strips away the panels, and takes some of the core elements of the last design (logo, font) and embiggens them. I can see not liking the larger elements, but I also don't think those elements put this in disaster territory.

 

I see this:

Ahj0Zon.jpg

 

 

As a pretty clear tightening up of this accomplished by removing extraneous details:

edchh3vbhju2ettyb2vly8m22.gif

 

 

I'm less sold on ATL, but I also don't think it's the worst thing either. People in Atlanta like ATL iconography. What can you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Falcons next year : Hey Nike, we really want to dig even further into Fubu catalogue for this year alt.

 

Nike : Say no more.

 

m_5d417c56a20dfc03fc5fac09.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I've seen all the jersey/pant/socks combos posted a few pages back, I'm good with this new looks. I'm even ok with the gradient jersey as long as the pants/socks aren't the same color.

 

FWIW, I've always thought the current uni's looked stupid with the clown sleeves and have been hoping for new uniforms for as long as I can remember.

 

I wish we could've gotten red helmets but other than that, as a Falcons fan I'm happy with this makeover. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That doesn't explain why the wordmarks need to be so large. They could also just do logo patches like the Steelers do and the Jets used to.

 

Wordmark run horizontally in the space between the numbers and the collar. With the frequency of badge patches for special occasions, its more convenient to use the horizontal wordmark. The Jags actually used the badge design in their 2013 set but I think horizontal marks are gaining more traction. 

 

Making them large is a way of making them standout. Smaller ones have been around for a long time but they don't stand out the way the larger ones do. The wordmark becomes more of an element in itself than an add on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucas718 said:

Is it just me or does it look like there are 2 sets of black pants?  The guy in the middle looks like there's red & white stripes, but the other two in black pants look like just a red stripe.  

 

I could have sworn at first that there were two pair, but I think it's just a really strong lighting effect.  Which is weird, because that should only happen if the pants were shiny.

 

1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

It’s really weird how the Falcons have such a problem choosing what their primary jersey color is. They can’t seem to decide if they’re a primarily black team, or if they want to be a more red heavy team. That’s sort of frustrating.

 

For sure - but it kinda breaks up their eras.  Is there any other example of any team that constantly switches back and forth? Not counting teams like the Canucks, that switch entire pallets, but like this?  The Flyers switched from orange to black then back to orange, but they only had one black era, and I think the overwhelming majority of fans wanted orange the whole time.

 

Next person that quotes that image that requires scrolling for 10 minutes to get through should be banned without a vote.  Stop that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The white and black uniforms are mostly inoffensive. The number font, based on the ass wordmark from 2003, is ass. It's not Titans/Bucs bad, but it's an already chunky, heavy font, that they made chunkier and heavier by giving it a red "side" shadow. On a jersey that has basically one design element, the number is the focus, and the numbers are ugly. ATL is just too big, made worse by the sheer volume of the number font. It's a lot to cram onto the front of a football jersey. Side stripe is whatever and they actually managed to design it so every jersey can be worn with every pair of pants. Sounds simple, but a lot of teams get that very easy thing wrong. See: recent XFL teams. Even the last Falcons set couldn't boast that and required two different pairs of white pants for the red and white jerseys. 

 

The helmet. Sigh. I guess I'll just never understand the appeal of matte football helmets and I really don't get the appeal of the chrome facemask. When we killed that on the Bucs I thought we were done with it in the NFL. It's a stupid college kid thing. The chrome facemask sticks out like a sore thumb and would only be saved by some gray pants. The only thing I like about the helmet is the bigger logo, but glossy black shell with black facemask would've been far more preferable here. 

 

And as always, it's sad what's happened to sock design in the NFL and that it's basically an afterthought and wearing all-white hose with white pants is an acceptable practice now. The white road uniform is dying for some black socks, the black pants are dying for some white separation from the shoes. The single color sock will always look amateurish and the NFL should have some more standards in this area. Ya know, like they used to. 

 

 

The gradient look is the worst thing since the Jaguars black and gold helmet. I can't believe we're trying gradients again in 2020. I thought we decided that was dumb when a handful of NBA teams did it in the 90's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sport said:

Side stripe is whatever and they actually managed to design it so every jersey can be worn with every pair of pants.

 

No they didn't. The red pants can't be worn with anything without totally ruining the stripe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sport said:

The white and black uniforms are mostly inoffensive. The number font, based on the ass wordmark from 2003, is ass. It's not Titans/Bucs bad, but it's an already chunky, heavy font, that they made chunkier and heavier by giving it a red "side" shadow. On a jersey that has basically one design element, the number is the focus, and the numbers are ugly. ATL is just too big, made worse by the sheer volume of the number font. It's a lot to cram onto the front of a football jersey. Side stripe is whatever and they actually managed to design it so every jersey can be worn with every pair of pants. Sounds simple, but a lot of teams get that very easy thing wrong. See: recent XFL teams. Even the last Falcons set couldn't boast that and required two different pairs of white pants for the red and white jerseys. 

 

The helmet. Sigh. I guess I'll just never understand the appeal of matte football helmets and I really don't get the appeal of the chrome facemask. When we killed that on the Bucs I thought we were done with it in the NFL. It's a stupid college kid thing. The chrome facemask sticks out like a sore thumb and would only be saved by some gray pants. The only thing I like about the helmet is the bigger logo, but glossy black shell with black facemask would've been far more preferable here. 

 

And as always, it's sad what's happened to sock design in the NFL and that it's basically an afterthought and wearing all-white hose with white pants is an acceptable practice now. The white road uniform is dying for some black socks, the black pants are dying for some white separation from the shoes. The single color sock will always look amateurish and the NFL should have some more standards in this area. Ya know, like they used to. 

 

 

The gradient look is the worst thing since the Jaguars black and gold helmet. I can't believe we're trying gradients again in 2020. I thought we decided that was dumb when a handful of NBA teams did it in the 90's. 

I will say at least it is a gradient whereas that Jags helmet was just flaming unfinished trash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lights Out said:

 

No they didn't. The red pants can't be worn with anything without totally ruining the stripe.

Well damn. Wasn't aware they had red pants. That's A. dumb and B. red pants aren't necessary. At least the white and black pants match with every jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I don't think they're that bad.  The post from @bosoxlover12 earlier sums up the changes I think would make a drastic difference:  smaller numbers and outlined and smaller wordmark (or none at all).  The number font isn't great, but I don't mind it.  It's not previous-set Bucs or as bad as the Titans.  Besides, in 5 years they'll be replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My apologies if anyone posted this already, but couldn't help but laugh out loud: 

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

Next person that quotes that image that requires scrolling for 10 minutes to get through should be banned without a vote.  Stop that.

 

A good argument both for not abusing the quote function and resizing inline images to be smaller when you make a post. This is 2005 message board etiquette people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they're a decent upgrade, depending on what combination of uniforms they use. Don't love the gradient but don't hate it with black pants either. 

 

Bold, simple, no obviously dumb details. I like the big bold font, I think it fits well within the brand. I don't mind the ATL. 

 

I don't think they've knocked it out of the park, but they've done pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

 

A good argument both for not abusing the quote function and resizing inline images to be smaller when you make a post. This is 2005 message board etiquette people.

 

I hate when people do this in my concept threads. It makes the thread damn-near impossible to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

I don't feel picked on! 🙂

 

The old set had side panels, arm panels, and leg piping and panels. It ticked every box possible of the early 2000s design fad, and was the Atlanta version of the same basic idea Reebok (or whoever) rolled out to the Cardinals and the Vikings and tons of college programs.

 

In contrast, the new set uses the similar numbers, strips away the panels, and takes some of the core elements of the last design (logo, font) and embiggens them. I can see not liking the larger elements, but I also don't think those elements put this in disaster territory.

 

I see this:

Ahj0Zon.jpg

 

 

As a pretty clear tightening up of this accomplished by removing extraneous details:

edchh3vbhju2ettyb2vly8m22.gif

 

 

I'm less sold on ATL, but I also don't think it's the worst thing either. People in Atlanta like ATL iconography. What can you do?

I'm from Atlanta, and yeah, ATL is basically embedded in our culture. It's something you'd have to have appreciated while growing up here.

 

1 minute ago, El Scorcho said:

I think they're a decent upgrade, depending on what combination of uniforms they use. Don't love the gradient but don't hate it with black pants either. 

 

Bold, simple, no obviously dumb details. I like the big bold font, I think it fits well within the brand. I don't mind the ATL. 

 

I don't think they've knocked it out of the park, but they've done pretty well.

Yep! The black over white is my favorite, the all white is clean, and the gradient isthe one outlier, which isn't terrible, just unnecessary. Like you said, they're not perfect, but it's a nice job. I give them a 8/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally put my finger on what these uniforms are. The white and black looks, at least. 

 

 

 

 

They're these. Forgettable, generically modern uniforms.

Blaine+Gabbert+Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Cl6782676.jpg

 

the difference is the Falcons number font is much worse (I actually kind of liked that Jags font) and their needless helmet treatment is more visually obtrusive than what the Jags did there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.