Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

1 minute ago, Sport said:

And I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m not rooting for teams to introduce bad looks just so I get to trash it on this message board. I want the teams to look good. I don’t think these Falcons uniforms look good so I’m going to state that. 

Nobody wants a team to look like utter trash.

It's just fun to deconstruct why a uniform set is trash.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, San Diego said:

Guys, I'm pretty sure these are actually a new XFL team. 

It was a pretty bold move for the Atlanta Firebirds to go with the exact same colors as the Falcons, I'll admit. Let's see how it works out for them. 😜 

Just now, DNAsports said:

My biggest gripe towards the overreactions is they all seem to be in tunnel vision focused at the gradient set, then it unnecessarily branches from there.

The Falcons wanted something eye catching and new. They got it. Eye catching doesn't always mean "good" though, and it will attract the most attention. Rightly or wrongly. 

1 minute ago, DNAsports said:

The new set is good, but not great. 

I disagree. Even setting aside the gradient alt (whose Nike speak is borderline gibberish) these things just aren't doing it for me. 
The ATL is both dumb (I get it's a local thing, doesn't mean I have to like it) and too big. 

The number font/side shadows are way too big. 

Side panel striping always looks like trash when players are actually playing, because the pants and jerseys never line up properly. 

The helmet logo is too big. 

The satin finish on the helmet looks worse than gloss. 

All of this is subjective of course. Maybe you like all of that, maybe they just don't bother you, but they are elements I just don't like. 
Overall? I'd place this set near the bottom of the league, if not last place. Sharing space with the Titans' monstrosities. 

Nike rep: on the helmets, we can do large logos, matte finish, chrome, on the jerseys we can do gradients, giant word marks, drop shadow, custom font, side panels, throw backs, anything you can think of, on the pants we can do odd stripes, matching socks. Pretty much anything you can think of.

atlanta rep: ok, cool...hangs up.

nike rep 2: what did they pick?

nike rep: Everything, I think.

at least that’s how my mind tells me it went down.

KISSwall09.jpg

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

I think the main issue is that they tend to look sloppy in most instances.. 

One reason is simply due to the alignment and potential misalignment with a matching pants stripe.. if they become misaligned, it can look bad..

Also, it can often look overly designed and poorly executed.. the Patriots trying to tie a misguided side panel into a bad/phantom pants stripe is a horrible look, and the reverse on the home uniform is almost as bad.. 

and the overdesigned mess that the Vikings (had) and bengals have going on are problems that negatively affect the look of the pants solely due to the existence of the side panel, and trying to tie the side panel into the pants stripe.. side panels aren’t necessarily inherently bad, but there are a number of ways and reasons they lead to bad design.. it’s almost always better to just steer clear of them

To add to this, football uniforms in particular have to fit multiple body types. Side panels can sometimes look off on wider shapes. 

Notice how the digital mockups they were working from weren’t modeled on any 350 pound defensive tackles?

So...the red jersey is a gradient? Like the road uniforms of the ‘90s Hawks? Nice homage, but not necessary. 

Jerseys and pants are upgrades from past. Hate the ATL part though. 

Not sure about matte black helmets. In my experience they always look like cars with only primer. They looked decent in release photos though. 

Oh I don't think it's in the same tier as the Titans.  They will likely take over the worst spot once Cleveland's new ones come out.

These are definitely in the lower half of the league.  Probably lower quarter, though I have neither the time nor desire to rank.  There ARE good things in play here - it's just that they tried too many new things without perfecting even one of them first.

1 minute ago, hormone said:

Nike rep: on the helmets, we can do large logos, matte finish, chrome, on the jerseys we can do gradients, giant word marks, drop shadow, custom font, side panels, throw backs, anything you can think of, on the pants we can do odd stripes, matching socks. Pretty much anything you can think of.

atlanta rep: ok, cool...hangs up.

nike rep 2: what did they pick?

nike rep: Everything, I think.

at least that’s how my mind tells me it went down.

That's exactly how I see it too.  It's exactly how the Cleveland design happened too.  I honestly wonder if even Nike is sometimes like "They want what now? Did they know that the word between the options was "or", not "and"?"  I want to think someone has a conscious, and is like "are you sure you want the contrast stitching, and upshadow, and giant wordmark, and chest stripe?  That's not what we actually meant".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, Sport said:

Plus, “this board hates everything new” And “you guys just like to complain” are dumb people fallacies.

They truly are.

12 minutes ago, Sport said:

Ive been around these parts for enough uniform unveilings to know that if it’s good, the overwhelming response will be positive. If it’s bad the overwhelming response will be negative. It’s actually pretty democratic.

Just look at the Bucs thread. They came out with nice uniforms and most people like them.

"You guys just like to complain" doesn't even make sense within the context of the past twenty-four hours!

Let's not pretend that there aren't a few board members that do lay on the "I hate everything new" act to a borderline trolling level.  There's one or two that I swear interject themselves into threads just to draw the ire of anyone that doesn't think that every uniform should have gray facemasks, every font should be block, and every pair of pants should be white.  There's nothing wrong with those opinions, but some people can discuss them, and others just puff out their chest, laugh when they get a response, and run like cowards.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I keep staring at that jersey and I still think the numbers are what bother me the most. The numbers are way too big, and too close to the nameplate on the back AND the ATL on the front. The dropshadow doesn't match any of the other elements in the jersey. I would have preferred chamfered corners and an outline, even with the serif.

As it stands, it looks like some cheap counterfeit knockoff that you see at a tourist destination.

I saw, I came, I left.

9 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

If the Falcons had only used those Michigan State numerals, it would've been a HUGE improvement. 

Meh.  They could have used lime green pants and a commemorative 28-3 patch on the left shoulder to really spice it up.  I would give that look 3 fire emojis.

32 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

*insert gif* 😉

My biggest gripe towards the overreactions is they all seem to be in tunnel vision focused at the gradient set, then it unnecessarily branches from there.

The new set is good, but not great. 

Take away the gradient set and these are still a mess... The helmets, gigantic and ugly number font, side shadows, huge wordmark, stupid three letter name, non contrasting socks, color rush looks that should be worn 90% of the time, Jets/Broncos love child panels... Bitching is one thing, analyzing and pointing out that not much is looking good about this set is another and a lot of people around here are doing just that. Even if we wanted to positively describe a turd, it'd still be a turd.

14 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Just look at the Bucs thread. They came out with nice uniforms and most people like them.

"You guys just like to complain" doesn't even make sense within the context of the past twenty-four hours!

Hell, go look the Rams/Chargers rebrand reactions for a different example. People tore the Rams' rebranding apart at the seams when they unveiled it for trying to be overly-fancy and cockamamie, and praised the Chargers for doing exactly what they needed to do and not :censored:ing with the brand to make it "cooler" or "more 🔥 🔥 🔥".

Sometimes a :censored: rebrand is a :censored: rebrand. Let's not hold our tongues because "we complain too much" or something.

Just when I thought these uniforms couldn't get any worse...the helmet is matte. I will never understand why someone thought that was a good idea. How the Falcons were able to downgrade their already-mediocre helmet is beyond me. 

The away look is better than I gave it credit for before. It looks much better than the previous set due to the all-white socks. I still hate the red dropshadow on the font, though. The pants striping is a huge improvement and the lack of piping everywhere is a much-needed change, but the jersey stripe still isn't perfect. I would like to see the home set with red pants, just to see if it would be any good. The mono-black screams BFBS. 

However, the font still looks ridiculous with the dropshadows on just about every set, the giant "ATL" is corny, and the chrome facemask looks out of place (I'm not one for wanting every team to have a grey facemask. I think color facemasks can add a lot of pop and help a set feel more cohesive, i.e. Chargers' yellow facemask). I'm not even going to bring up the alternate. What an awful excuse for a football uniform.

The Falcons had every opportunity here to use a classic set as a template for a modern update a la the Buccaneers (which did splendid and are easily the best uniform revamp since the Bills). Instead, we have another uniform set that somehow looks dated and too-modern at the same time with the Falcons fixing one thing (the piping) only to lead to more issues (helmet and just awful red jersey). I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm disappointed.

52 minutes ago, Sport said:

Plus, “this board hates everything new” And “you guys just like to complain” are dumb people fallacies. Ive been around these parts for enough uniform unveilings to know that if it’s good, the overwhelming response will be positive. If it’s bad the overwhelming response will be negative. It’s actually pretty democratic.

And I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m not rooting for teams to introduce bad looks just so I get to trash it on this message board. I want the teams to look good. I don’t think these Falcons uniforms look good so I’m going to state that. 

Yes....but you have to agree that there's also a certain rush to get in the pithiest comment and funniest observation or critique. And often the way you get there is by being outlandish. And negative is easier.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, alecgoff said:

I feel like with a few tweaks, this uniform won't be the worst in the league.

falcons-21432.png

All one color is the worst combos ever.  Black is the topper, you want your players to appear bigger not smaller, black males you look small.  Even all white bothers me, unless it is baseball.  Otherwise football uniforms should have offset pants to jerseys like the Raiders, Cowboys or Green Bay.  

There is not one I like, but that is my opinion that does not contrast that looks good. 

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Archived