Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

Yea, these are pretty rough... they’re sort of the opposite of the Buccaneers, in the sense that once you start to look at the finer details, it starts to fall apart. I do think they’re somehow a downgrade from the last set, and I despise the Reebok piping as much as anybody, so I didn’t think that could be possible.

If there were going to stick with a black helmet (which I’d be fine with), they should have just left the helmet the same. Black is one color that doesn’t work with matte/satin helmets, as they are unable to capture the deep, pitch black that gloss does. The silver face mask might be my least favorite part of the entire set. 

The numbers, while I don’t think there awful, could be improved and didn’t have to be so big. Same goes with the ATL, I would have preferred it on just an alternate, and maybe just a bit smaller, though it doesn’t have to be much. The side stripe is a nice idea, but it doesn’t work in practice when it doesn’t line up and it prevents you from having a red jersey.

That brings me to the gradient which, to be honest, I don’t hate for what it is. It’s just a shame that it takes the place of a full red jersey. As I said when the leaks came out, the Falcons are now a black & white team with red accents, and that’s a shame. The all-white set might be my least favorite of the bunch, as the Falcons aren’t a team that can pull that off. Also, although I would’ve supported red pants before the unveiling, the fact that the striping doesn’t match is supremely frustrating, and renders them pointless.

Overall, this is definitely in the bottom 1/3 of the league for me, probably around where they were prior to the redesign.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have to give big ups to the Falcons creative team on the photo shoot. their team photographer is one of the very best. not only are the compositions great but the editing is superb. if you compare to most other teams, the highlights get really blown out or a they use a sort of HDR look. all the ATL shots look great. gorgeous stuff

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

4 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

The Atlanta Hawks do they same thing but i’ve never heard anyone complainspacer.png

Because a wordmark is expected on basketball jersey.

Hawks get some criticism for ATL abbreviation. Which again is one of the few that actually is used conversationally.

Falcons get more heat for the abbreviation and for having a wordmark on a football uniform at all.

A thought: vertically stacked wordmark (or crest) and jersey numbers work poorly when the mark is too small.   Hawks ATL is big and looks like a normal wordmark.   Falcons ATL looks like a dot on the letter "i".    Same issue with Cavs black alts. Championship t shirts looked ok apart from the sleeves. Later sleeveless versions looked.awful with the jersey number moved out of the corner back into a stack.

College football shows that proportional wordmarks can work, but a 3 letter wordmark is hard to pull off.

5 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

The Atlanta Hawks do they same thing but i’ve never heard anyone complainspacer.png

There is a lot to hate about that jersey, but at least the numbers aren't overwhelming in size and style on either side and they even have an outline. Also, there is some space between the numbers are the other elements of the jersey. 

Heck, even the 'ATL' and the back nameplate works better on a that jersey.

Overall, I would ALSO rather wear that jersey than the Falcons

As for matte finishes on a helmet, um... let's just say there are plenty to reasons the auto industry doesn't do matte finishes. 

I saw, I came, I left.

i disagree. I think the logo stands out more 

I just don’t get why people say the throwbacks are better when they’re so plain. If i erased the falcons logos from the helmet and sleeve they’d look like any team

Well yea, that’s what happens when you remove the logos from any uniform that isn’t the browns, and that’s only because there is none to remove.

i disagree. I think the logo stands out more 

I just don’t get why people say the throwbacks are better when they’re so plain. If i erased the falcons logos from the helmet and sleeve they’d look like any team

Agree totally on both counts. 

The helmet looks great IMO. The big falcon flows well with the shape of the helmet. The matte makes the logo pop and the facemask colour looks modern without being a statement, which all of black, white and red would have been. 

People keep criticising the uniforms for being too modern generic, and then praising the throwbacks which are as era generic as it gets. 

54 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

People keep criticising the uniforms for being too modern generic, and then praising the throwbacks which are as era generic as it gets. 

That's because the throwbacks aren't godawful. 😛

11 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

That's because the throwbacks aren't godawful. 😛

They aren’t godawful by any means. Arguably one of the best. However, I see his point about it being generic. They’re from an era when that style of uniform was prominent.

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

have to give big ups to the Falcons creative team on the photo shoot. their team photographer is one of the very best. not only are the compositions great but the editing is superb. if you compare to most other teams, the highlights get really blown out or a they use a sort of HDR look. all the ATL shots look great. gorgeous stuff

Sorry, I don't mean this to come off as a personal attack, but if Van Gogh had painted a pitch black canvas instead of "Starry Night" it still would be an awful painting.

And I will agree that the photos setup and shots were good, but the poor design of the subject matter means they can't be great. ;) 

I mean good job by the photographer; too bad he didn't have a better subject.

I think I finally have a good analogy for what the apparent return of gradients to sports uniforms makes me think of:

Gradients on current uniforms is like hearing a really bad 80s one-hit wonder on the radio today.

That's right, ATL, that red jersey is basically the Dexys Midnight Runners or Baltimora of uniforms.

7 hours ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

Not sure anyone really mentioned on here that the gradient is actually small shards of the "feathers"

spacer.png

Oh, now THAT detail makes me view them in a whole different light!  No, wait, it doesn’t...they still suck.

I can’t wait to see these in action though.  The players will look like my 93 year old grandpa did when he hiked his pants all the way up to his nose.  

0 fire emojis.

So here's the deal. Most designs either grow on you, or they grow off you in the first few days after the release. After watching the behind the design video, I hate the Falcons unis less. It's not what I would have done, but I think with a few small tweaks (namely scrapping the slide shadow) these could be solid.

fiowXOD.png

One thing I find interesting about this set is how there are four uniforms as I was always under the impression that you could only have one alternate to be used in two games. Did the NFL relax the rules? Are they going to wear the throwbacks and the gradients two times each possibly making the standard black only worn for half the season?

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

1 minute ago, Moseph said:

One thing I find interesting about this set is how there are four uniforms as I was always under the impression that you could only have one alternate to be used in two games. Did the NFL relax the rules? Are they going to wear the throwbacks and the gradients two times each possibly making the standard black only worn for half the season?

The NFL relaxed the rules to allow for a color rush uniform as well.. once the color rush program officially ended, many teams kept their color rush uniform in rotation, so the relaxed 4th uniform rules remained in place.. I personally don't mind having an alt and a throwback, but I would limit usage to 3 times total or twice each at most.. not sure what the rules are on how often they can wear them

Archived