Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

Regardless I’m fine with non monochrome but i just think the all black looks sleeker than the white and black

It's also much more visually boring is the thing. Contrast is really important for sports uniforms.

Imagine if a team like the Browns put out an entirely orange alternate. Like sure, it all matches, but it's also really boring to look at if everything's a single color.

3 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Nope, that’s white on silver. The Eagles didn’t even have white pants back then.

really? Here’s a better image

09000d5d80ec1e9e_gallery_600.jpg

Even if it was silver would the falcons making a slightly less black pants be fine? Regardless all whites have been a thing forever it’s Penn State’s entire reason for having the most generic uniforms and Alabama always wears all whites. You think these monochrome’s are bad?

55827556_crop_650x440.jpg?1312330394

DerrickThomas_original.jpg?1291669085

11 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

It's also much more visually boring is the thing. Contrast is really important for sports uniforms.

Imagine if a team like the Browns put out an entirely orange alternate. Like sure, it all matches, but it's also really boring to look at if everything's a single color.

what are your thoughts on mono white which has existed since forever?

20 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

that is literally white on white. Does that not count? 

Regardless I’m fine with non monochrome but i just think the all black looks sleeker than the white and black

Not white on white. During Reggie White’s entire time with the Eagles (1985-1992), the Eagles had only silver pants. They didn’t wear white pants again until the ‘96 rebrand.

Not going to post every image here, but here’s the Uniform Database link for the Eagles:

http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=teams&team_id=PHI

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

16 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

Even if it was silver would the falcons making a slightly less black pants be fine? Regardless all whites have been a thing forever it’s Penn State’s entire reason for having the most generic uniforms and Alabama always wears all whites. You think these monochrome’s are bad?

DerrickThomas_original.jpg?1291669085

Yes, those Eagles pants were silver. They only had silver pants in their wardrobe back then. And no, those examples you posted are great, classic uniforms. But examples like the Falcons’ new mono-black and mono-white sets, the Saints’ mono-black and mono-white sets (the regular white set, not the CR), the Titans’ mono-navy and mono-white sets, the Jags’ all-black or all-white sets, etc. are all garbage. Not all mono uniforms are bad, and in fact there are several really classic mono uniforms in the NFL and in college as well (Colts’ all-white, Texas’ all-white, Clemson’s all-orange, the examples you posted above, etc.). And mono-white is generally much more tolerable than mono-color, especially because it’s a look that has some substantial tradition behind it. But there are even still some mono-white uniforms that are pretty terrible, like the examples I mentioned above.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

It’s silver.

White jersey over white britches is a traditional football look at any level. I think when most people here refer to monochrome, they are referring to monochrome colored jerseys and pants. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

8 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

what are your thoughts on mono white which has existed since forever?

Those eagle pants were 100% gray.

This is an old discussion in these parts, and I'm sure it will sound like a double standard to you, but when the average poster complains about monochrome football uniforms, the general understanding is they are complaining about monochrome dark football uniforms. Monochrome white football uniforms have a long tradition, and generally don't seem as jarring.

3 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Those eagle pants were 100% gray.

This is an old discussion in these parts, and I'm sure it will sound like a double standard to you, but when the average poster complains about monochrome football uniforms, the general understanding is they are complaining about monochrome dark football uniforms. Monochrome white football uniforms have a long tradition, and generally don't seem as jarring.

That is exactly my point. Because it is ‘tradition’ that makes it fine but because teams were too cheap back then to get different color pants they only had white or sometimes silver pants so now that’s the standard. And yes it does sound like a double standard to me. It comes off like had mono dark unis been common back then it’d be ok and this is my problem with constantly comparing new sets to old sets. It’s called survivor bias. Because we only see the highlights of those times we think everything was good and thus the unis were good too. Not saying there is no good old unis or that your wrong for your opinion but of course these new unis don’t look like ‘nfl’ unis because they’re new and we haven’t seen anything like it before. When the Bucs has their creamsicles they were mocked for looking silly for a football team

This may be going off topic but one of the chief complaints is the new unis are too trendy and appealing to young people on social media. Well can you name me an old uni set that was “too trendy” and looks dated now? Because the NFL has always tried to appeal to the lowest common denominator why do you think the falcons wear black red and gray? It certainly wouldn’t be because of a popular local college team 

I asked someone earlier when trends become tradition. What do you say?

And i don’t want this to sound like i hate tradition and that your opinion is wrong. I don’t care when a uniform set was made my criteria is does it look visually appealing and does it fit the team or location. If it’s a traditional look great if it’s a whacky one great as well

1 hour ago, Reyes47 said:

and yet i get flak for liking things outside of others taste by saying i’m someone who uses the fire emoji

I don't recall anyone saying "I don't understand how people could like monochrome."

There are anti-monochrome people, but they don't seem to have this "I don't get how people could disagree with me" opinion you seem to have.

48 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

. It comes off like had mono dark unis been common back then it’d be ok and this is my problem with constantly comparing new sets to old sets.

"If things were different they'd be different" isn't a compelling argument.

It’s called survivor bias.

That's not what that term means.

I asked someone earlier when trends become tradition. What do you say?

Long enough for the Falcons' throwbacks to qualify. Not long enough for their dumb new unis to qualify.

12 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I don't recall anyone saying "I don't understand how people could like monochrome."

There are anti-monochrome people, but they don't seem to have this "I don't get how people could disagree with me" opinion you seem to have.

What I’m saying is I don’t get why people are so against it. This has nothing to do with my opinion. I don’t have any kind of favoritism towards monochrome. Some monochrome look good others bad

"If things were different they'd be different" isn't a compelling argument.

Not with me my opinion would probably stay the same

That's not what that term means.

What i’m saying is we forget about the older mediocre uniforms (or just don’t focus on them as much as good ones) 

Long enough for the Falcons' throwbacks to qualify. Not long enough for their dumb new unis to qualify.

so even if it lasts 50 years it’s not tradition? Like what does that even mean? “long enough for the falcons throwbacks to qualify”? They changed their uniforms like a dozen times from 1960-1990s switching from red jerseys to black jerseys to red helmets to black helmets and so on. Their throwbacks are actually based on the 1990s look before the Reebok rebrand happened

21 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

What I’m saying is I don’t get why people are so against it. This has nothing to do with my opinion. I don’t have any kind of favoritism towards monochrome. Some monochrome look good others bad

But it absolutely has to do with your opinion. Literally any time someone disagrees with your opinions, you turn around with a multi-part inquisition trying to show why their opinion is actually wrong and you're correct.

21 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

so even if it lasts 50 years it’s not tradition? Like what does that even mean? “long enough for the falcons throwbacks to qualify”? They changed their uniforms like a dozen times from 1960-1990s switching from red jerseys to black jerseys to red helmets to black helmets and so on. Their throwbacks are actually based on the 1990s look before the Reebok rebrand happened

To quote Justice Stewart, "I know it when I see it." Tradition becomes tradition when people decide it becomes tradition. The Falcons throwbacks are based on their original 1960s uniform, not the 90s. They wore it with the red helmets for years until the one-helmet rule prevented them from wearing it properly. They only brought the uniform back with the black helmets because the fan base begged them to do so. THAT is tradition.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I think it’s funny all of the posts in these uniform topics talking about controversial uniforms... Almost everyone that says they like them then mention all of the issues everyone else has with them and if they were changed how it would be a great uniform... I have read so many posts making those statements... I usually don’t like something then say if these were changed I would like it because those uniforms are not and will not be changed... 

6 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

Well can you name me an old uni set that was “too trendy” and looks dated now?

The old Big Logo style that the Patriots wore from 1995 to 2000. Apex innovated the big logo on the shoulders look and gave it to a handful of College teams to negative reaction. However, the Cowboys alternate version got a mixed reaction, some love it, some hate it. I think it only was accepted by people because it was strictly an alternate and was worn for Thanksgiving only for several years.  Overall, the big logo trend failed. I personally like it though but that's because I have trash taste.

4c5e5ee78a07c6af90a8a2fd3035c154.jpg

latest?cb=20130401205156

bSLCtu2.png

8 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

Lol..The Titans uniforms are actually pretty OK to me. Modify the number 1 , make the sword stripes on the pants vertical, add a touch of red, and get that side panel off the jerseys.

8 hours ago, jn8 said:

Additionally, make the yokes a solid color instead of split between two grays. As much as I hate to admit it, the Titans’ unis have really grown on me. I just wish they weren’t so in love with navy pants for every game

So change 5 major design elements and you have an acceptable uniform. At that point you are just talking about changing everything but the colors.

Archived