BlazerBlaze

Falcons New Unis 2020

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The old Big Logo style that the Patriots wore from 1995 to 2000. Apex innovated the big logo on the shoulders look and gave it to a handful of College teams to negative reaction. However, the Cowboys alternate version got a mixed reaction, some love it, some hate it. I think it only was accepted by people because it was strictly an alternate and was worn for Thanksgiving only for several years.  Overall, the big logo trend failed. I personally like it though but that's because I have trash taste.

4c5e5ee78a07c6af90a8a2fd3035c154.jpg

latest?cb=20130401205156

I can't recall, but were those logos on the shoulders larger than the helmet decal?

16 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

I can't recall, but were those logos on the shoulders larger than the helmet decal?

In both cases, yes. 

This is actually a really good example. These looks are a almost a quarter century old at the point, well old enough to be considered classic, and some people do,  but I never liked them and never will.

The Falcons COULD add silver pants relatively easily...after all, the NFL doesn't require the 5-year process for pants. The Saints white pants from last year and the Ravens one-game gold pants from 2015 come to mind.

14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm not sure how it's "unique" when several teams do it full time, and half the league does it on occasion, and a ton of college teams do it all the time.

I think it's stupid to dismiss monochrome just because, but I think it really needs to be done right, or it looks unprofessional - like a college or arena team.  NFL football has a traditional aesthetic, and while it's definitely OK to push that, and tons of teams have done it successfully, there's a difference between 'pushing' it and 'blowing through' it.

I happen to like Carolina's black on black.  There's enough trim - specifically the pants stripes - to make it not all-black.  They need to not wear black socks though.  I like Seattle's, and think it's well designed - even if that's considered 'blowing through' the aesthetic.  Sometimes it just works.  I like New England's navy over navy, and even when Buffalo goes royal over royal.  It's not the best look for those teams, but I still like it.

The Saints are horrible, these Falcons are horrible, and most of the teams that simply take their dark pants and wear them with their dark jersey even if it's not designed to work that way look terrible.  

Think about it like this - when you think of the all-time greats, can you really picture them wearing some of these uniforms?

Look at Reggie White.  He looks like a professional.  He looks like a "man" (for lack of a better term.)  He's so serious that he scared the color right out of Steve Young.  I can't even think of him looking that serious in any of these clown suits.  I can't really imagine any 38-year-old wearing some of these clown suits.

maxresdefault.jpg

Greatest Eagles Unis of all-time. Pure class right here.Full Eagle Logo, block numbers Kelly Green.Spectacular

9 hours ago, IceCap said:

I don't recall anyone saying "I don't understand how people could like monochrome."

There are anti-monochrome people, but they don't seem to have this "I don't get how people could disagree with me" opinion you seem to have.

Yes, there are trolls that make blanket statements that degrade anyone that likes monochrome, without having any kind of discussion.  It's a minority of people, but there are "bizarro Reyes47"s.

I go by the rule that 'what looks good looks good, and what looks bad looks bad', and always give my reasons why some particular mono look works, and why another doesn't.  There are people that simply say "if you don't like gray facemasks or want a throwback helmet then you're one of 'those'".  Frankly it's as nauseating as the side we're discussing here (the "I"m being persecuted because I like mono uniforms, this board is so conservative, blah blah blah.")

18 minutes ago, oldblue said:

Greatest Eagles Unis of all-time. Pure class right here.Full Eagle Logo, block numbers Kelly Green.Spectacular

While someone like @TruColor would need to weigh in, I don't think that's what most people would consider 'kelly'.  I have an authentic that I got back in that era (talk about something hard to track down at that time... and at $60, I thought that was outrageous!) and I think the dark jersey and helmet were a little darker than 'kelly'.  It could also just be an effect of there being black and silver mixed in there too.

Either way, their silver pants do look a little light when worn with the white jerseys - I think it's just lousy lighting in every photo from that era, because live, they were clearly silver and not white.

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

latest?cb=20130401205156

off topic:  I love that the Patriots repurposed the old hand warmer and slapped the new logo on it.

7 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

off topic:  I love that the Patriots repurposed the old hand warmer and slapped the new logo on it.

It looks gray though - why would the old one (that would have been three-years-old by the time that jersey debuted) have been gray?

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It looks gray though - why would the old one (that would have been three-years-old by the time that jersey debuted) have been gray?

Probably gray from age and dirt; The game shown was January '97 (fog playoff game against Pittsburgh), four seasons into the blue jersey era. 

26 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

While someone like @TruColor would need to weigh in, I don't think that's what most people would consider 'kelly'.  I have an authentic that I got back in that era (talk about something hard to track down at that time... and at $60, I thought that was outrageous!) and I think the dark jersey and helmet were a little darker than 'kelly'.  It could also just be an effect of there being black and silver mixed in there too.

Either way, their silver pants do look a little light when worn with the white jerseys - I think it's just lousy lighting in every photo from that era, because live, they were clearly silver and not white.

No you are definitely right. The Kelly was more the Jaworski set. They did go a little darker in the late 80s into the 90s, but I still consider Reggie is a product of the "Kelly Era". Miss that guy.

All the birds need to do for a modern uni is take the Reggie set and do some slight tweaks to it. To me it is just about perfect.

9 hours ago, MDGP said:

To quote Justice Stewart, "I know it when I see it." Tradition becomes tradition when people decide it becomes tradition.

So if people decided these new uniforms are tradition then it’s traditional? Traditions don’t happen over night

9 hours ago, MDGP said:

The Falcons throwbacks are based on their original 1960s uniform, not the 90s. They wore it with the red helmets for years until the one-helmet rule prevented them from wearing it properly. They only brought the uniform back with the black helmets because the fan base begged them to do so. THAT is tradition.

No this is the 66 Falcons uniforms. Besides the obvious red helmet the sleeves are different having stripes rather than the logo

f9f5996eae7722f891e1a3ead9abbac5--falcon

This was their look from the 90s which is what their look is based on

nfl_g_sanders_260_original.jpg?129322134

besides lacking silver pants this is much closer than their 60s look

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The old Big Logo style that the Patriots wore from 1995 to 2000. Apex innovated the big logo on the shoulders look and gave it to a handful of College teams to negative reaction. However, the Cowboys alternate version got a mixed reaction, some love it, some hate it. I think it only was accepted by people because it was strictly an alternate and was worn for Thanksgiving only for several years.  Overall, the big logo trend failed. I personally like it though but that's because I have trash taste.

latest?cb=20130401205156

I mean the Cowboys alts are based on their classic look with the stars on the shoulders

Is there anything else that’s older than that? 

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

In both cases, yes. 

This is actually a really good example. These looks are a almost a quarter century old at the point, well old enough to be considered classic, and some people do,  but I never liked them and never will.

What about the creamsicle Bucs? That’s clearly a 70s trend even if you liked the uniforms (you can like trendy things)

5 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

What about the creamsicle Bucs? That’s clearly a 70s trend even if you liked the uniforms (you can like trendy things)

What I liked about the creamcicle Bucs is that the design itself was absolutely traditional... White over color over white, standard striping that matched throughout... But then they imported this very non-traditional color scheme onto it.  They didn't try to compound a non-traditional design with non-traditional colors. It showed some thought and restraint.

21 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

No this is the 66 Falcons uniforms. Besides the obvious red helmet the sleeves are different having stripes rather than the logo

f9f5996eae7722f891e1a3ead9abbac5--falcon

This was their look from the 90s which is what their look is based on

nfl_g_sanders_260_original.jpg?129322134

besides lacking silver pants this is much closer than their 60s look

Actually No. That is the 1968-1970 Falcons Uniform.

spacer.png

The Falcons wore the exact same Uniform as the Throwback in 1966, besides the Helmet, due to the one-helmet rule.

spacer.png

Which was worn from 2009-2012 as a Throwback.

spacer.png

And when they brought back the Throwback in 2016, they hd to use a Black Helmet, or not wear it at all.

spacer.png

If they wanted to do the 90s, they would have worn 9'0s. They 90's Falcons Uniforms had a White Outline on the Sleeve Logo, while the 60's one had a Red Outline. 90's had Silver Pants, 60's had White Pants. 90's had plain Socks, 60's had Striped Socks. It IS a 60's Throwback, that happens to use the 90's style Helmet due to the One-Helmet Rule. 

spacer.png

Also, the Falcons website said that if the One-Helmet Rule changes Next Year, that they would bring back the Red Helmet for the Throwback rather than using the Black Helmet.

On 4/8/2020 at 10:08 AM, simtek34 said:

So it seems the Falcons will bring back the Red Helmets with the Fauxback Uniforms turning them back into Throwback Uniforms again if the rules change next year.

spacer.png

The 1966 throwback uniform has become an icon to both players and fans alike, and one that will remain a staple in the Falcons closet. The throwback decal adorns the helmet and the iconic red and black stripe pattern has been a consistent staple through several historical uniform designs. (And yes, we too would love to have that second red helmet!)

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/atlanta-falcons-go-back-to-black-unveil-new-uniforms

BTW, that article is full of TONS of Nikespeak. It's sickening.

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

latest?cb=20130401205156

So somebody at Nike saw this and told Atlanta’s front office, “gentlemen, we propose putting a falcon the size of the shoulder stars seen here...ON YOUR HELMETS!  HUH?  HUH?  BOOM, right?  I’m talking five-alarm fire emojis!”

Atlanta front office staff apparently:  nods collective heads in agreement.

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

latest?cb=20130401205156

I think this has been discussed more than once but I think it's worth revisiting. From what I remember the double stars first made their debut in the movie little giants (oct '94) and were paired with navy pants with a giant star logo on one side. The cowboys wore the 60's royal/white throwbacks once early in the seaon on mnf I believe then these double stars were debuted mid-season and worn as the primary white jersey the remainder of the season. In conjunction the cowboys marketed a full double star set of merch, I remember at least one full page ad in SI to promote the switch. Given the switch through the end of season and the marketing I was always suspicious that this was intended to be their new uniform and when they lost the nfc championship and the '95 season rolled along they backed off the idea. Also they never wore the white double stars after that and wore the highly inferior navy jerseys as alts for a few years.

Does anyone else have any insight on this?

I could’ve swore I read or heard somewhere that the Falcons throwbacks were purposely meant to be a mashup of eras