BlazerBlaze

Falcons New Unis 2020

1 hour ago, Reyes47 said:

So if people decided these new uniforms are tradition then it’s traditional? Traditions don’t happen over night

No this is the 66 Falcons uniforms. Besides the obvious red helmet the sleeves are different having stripes rather than the logo

1) Yes, tradition is a made up construct by humans to make our lives a bit more comfortable. Not everything has to be a quantifiable truth.

2) You seriously thought I was talking out of my ass when I said they were wearing their original 60s uniforms?

40 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

[A very well done, researched post that correctly states the Falcons alternate history]

11 minutes ago, guest23 said:

From what I remember the double stars first made their debut in the movie little giants (oct '94) and were paired with navy pants with a giant star logo on one side. 

FUMBLEROOSKI!  FUMBLEROOSKI!  

Now that we're on the subject - why wear a fauxback to the 60's with a black helmet when you could just do a proper 90's throwback that used the same color helmet? And why aren't more of you nerds upset about this like I am? It's basically the same exact jersey, just get silver pants and you're there. 

This is from an article on the team website:

As a tribute to their inaugural year, the Falcons throwback design aesthetic will stay true to 1966 with exception of the helmet. The original uniform featured a red helmet with a similar bold stripe pattern down the center to match the pants and socks. This year, due to NFL helmet safety rules, the team will punctuate the throwback uniform with their current black helmet. It will showcase the original Falcon crest used by the team from 1966 to 2003 - the same black on black design worn in the team's 1998 Super Bowl appearance.”

Entire Article-

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-to-bring-back-66-throwback-uniforms-17914900

So yes, technically it is a mashup of two eras. Technically three now if you want to get nitpicky with the helmet finish

35 minutes ago, Sport said:

Now that we're on the subject - why wear a fauxback to the 60's with a black helmet when you could just do a proper 90's throwback that used the same color helmet? And why aren't more of you nerds upset about this like I am? It's basically the same exact jersey, just get silver pants and you're there. 

Gotta change out the socks too, but yes. I’m in total agreement with you, I’ve wanted them to do that for the last couple of seasons. They’d have good reason to do it - they went to the Super Bowl in them! Surely there’s some nostalgia you could tap into there. It just makes more sense to me to throwback to that when you’ve got the necessary pieces than fauxback anything (though the fauxback is still really nice).

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

What I liked about the creamcicle Bucs is that the design itself was absolutely traditional... White over color over white, standard striping that matched throughout... But then they imported this very non-traditional color scheme onto it.  They didn't try to compound a non-traditional design with non-traditional colors. It showed some thought and restraint.

It's also what makes the Orlando Thunder uniform so great. It's a traditional football uniform look with non-traditional colors. Like the Bucs, the Thunder's colors were fitting of the locale.

90kerwinbell.png

9 hours ago, dont care said:

So change 5 major design elements and you have an acceptable uniform. At that point you are just talking about changing everything but the colors.

Are you that ignorant? They're not major design elements. Just some minor add ons that need tweaks. It's just the #1 out of the whole font system that looks off. Tilting the pants stripes so that they're vertical doesn't require a major shift in design. The side panel on the jersey doesn't add to anything, and can easily be removed. Again, this is all hypothetical, since no one on this forum is getting paid by the NFL to make those decisions.

IMO, the only two changes that need to be made to the new set are removing the side stripes on all jerseys and shifting the gradient jersey into a solid red jersey. Everything else about the design is completely fine.

4 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

IMO, the only two changes that need to be made to the new set are removing the side stripes on all jerseys and shifting the gradient jersey into a solid red jersey. Everything else about the design is completely fine.

Yeah, I'm from Atlanta, the real Atlanta, and the ATL badge isn't anywhere near offensive. We rep ATL proudly. The side stripe isn't bad, but is a little unnecessary. The numbers will grow on people, because anything new will take time to get used to. Other than that, nothing is bad and outlandish.

Is 21 really not retired in Atlanta? I’d imagine of the teams Sanders had played for, the Falcons would be the one to shelf the number

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Is 21 really not retired in Atlanta? I’d imagine of the teams Sanders had played for, the Falcons would be the one to shelf the number

I’m glad the ATL is on the jersey just in case I couldn’t tell who the team was from the helmet bumper...

19 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

From the team's website: "

The Atlanta Falcons organization doesn't officially retire jersey numbers, but considers certain player's jerseys worthy of being honored. The Falcons Ring of Honor, which is featured in the rafters of the Georgia Dome, honors individual players and not jerseys."

Also, looks like they need to update the page with the Benz. lol

54 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

Are you that ignorant?

Why are you so argumentative? 

50 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

The whole thing is a mess, in my opinion. 

The number font too much, the "side shadows" don't work, the ATL is dumb, the mono-socks are a bad look, and the monochrome doesn't work at all. Also? Gloss helmets would work much better than the satin finish they insisted on. 

It's not a good look on its own, but the red gradient just pushes it over the top. A completely misfire. 

2 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

I’m glad the ATL is on the jersey just in case I couldn’t tell from the helmet bumper...

Really glad the SF is on the bumper just in case I couldn’t tell from the side of the helmet 

spacer.png

But I’m also REALLY glad Vikings is on the jersey just in case I couldn’t tell from the helmet bumper

spacer.png

The Bucs and Chargers seem to have done a redesign right; they went to what worked and just followed that. People heaped praise on them for not botching their redesign in an attempt to be "maximum 🔥🔥🔥🔥".

The Falcons and Rams tried to be as "🔥🔥🔥🔥" as possible and ended up with what both look to be utter trash heaps. That's why people are lampooning them.

2 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Really glad the SF is on the bumper just in case I couldn’t tell from the side of the helmet 

But I’m also REALLY glad Vikings is on the jersey just in case I couldn’t tell from the helmet bumper

Counterpoint: Team logos and nicknames aren't nearly as dumb as airport abbreviations. 

Yeah, I know they love "ATL" in Atlanta, and I'm sure I'd need to be from there to "get it" yadda yadda (don't take that the wrong way Falcons fans, the hardcore Browns fans just ruined "you need to be from here to get it" sentiment), but it still looks bad to me 🤷‍♂️

Like...if the Falcons wanted to sell shirts and hats with "ATL" logos? Cool. The on-field uniforms though? Seems too try-hard and trendy. 

You really can't, imo, make locale abbreviations work unless you commit to a single letter or you have a two part locale name. 

10 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The whole thing is a mess, in my opinion. 

The number font too much, the "side shadows" don't work, the ATL is dumb, the mono-socks are a bad look, and the monochrome doesn't work at all. Also? Gloss helmets would work much better than the satin finish they insisted on. 

It's not a good look on its own, but the red gradient just pushes it over the top. A completely misfire. 

I said it earlier in this thread, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a version of the new Brewers number font being used on the Falcons set.

If they could somehow get away with using the throwback socks full time, that would be fantastic. I really don’t mind the socks at all.

I’m not much of a stickler on helmet finishes. As long as it’s not chrome.

The gradient is pretty wonky as all hell, but I can overlook it as it’s likely a one-per season deal

5 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The Falcons and Rams tried to be as "🔥🔥🔥🔥" as possible and ended up with a mess that's nothing but a lateral move. That's why people are lampooning them.

I agree with half of that. I think the Falcons definitely went the trendy route (which is fine but you're basically stuck in a never ending loop of updates). 

The Rams, however? I get the feeling they weren't chasing trendy. They honestly thought they were creating an updated classic- they just misfired. Probably because they listened to people who loved the smell of their own farts ("golden ratio"? get the :censored: outta here). 

9 minutes ago, IceCap said:

You really can't, imo, make locale abbreviations work unless you commit to a single letter or you have a two part locale name. 

What's worse is they could've gone with "The A" or "A-Town" if they wanted a cutesy nickname on the front to "rep the city" or whatever.

But nah, they decided "ATL" was what was needed. It'd be like the Leafs sticking a big "TOR" on their jerseys to "rep the city", it's stupid.

I said it earlier in this thread, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a version of the new Brewers number font being used on the Falcons set.

That would look really nice, I think. 

I'm not much of a stickler on helmet finishes. As long as it’s not chrome.

The last Jags redesign is very divisive because some people thought it was too plain (I'm one of them), but I thought the helmet was stunning. It's just a black gloss helmet with a logo. Nothing fancy, but it looks perfect. Timeless. 

It really re-affirmed to me how easy it is to get a football helmet right. I agree, Satin and matte aren't as bad as chrome, but they both seem worse to me than a simple gloss. 

7 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

The gradient is pretty wonky as all hell, but I can overlook it as it’s likely a one-per season deal

I'm hoping that the limited use will lead to them being somewhat of a shock every year, leading to them getting ridiculed enough that they just quietly retire it 😛