Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

5 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

What's worse is they could've gone with "The A" or "A-Town" if they wanted a cutesy nickname on the front to "rep the city" or whatever.

But nah, they decided "ATL" was what was needed. It'd be like the Leafs sticking a big "TOR" on their jerseys to "rep the city", it's stupid.

"Atlanta" is a pretty cool city name, all things considered. And it's not overly long. It doesn't need an abbreviation, really. You can use an "A" monogram for it when it's appropriate (Braves) but the city name itself just sort of rolls off the tongue on its own. 

I get that "ATL" is part of the local culture, and again. You can toss that on hats and shirts all day long if you want to. 

I'm just a stickler when it comes to locale names. They should be in full unless they're too long (like "Philadelphia"). 

Stuff like "ATL" and "PHX" just looks minor league to me. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

What's worse is they could've gone with "The A" or "A-Town" if they wanted a cutesy nickname on the front to "rep the city" or whatever.

But nah, they decided "ATL" was what was needed. It'd be like the Leafs sticking a big "TOR" on their jerseys to "rep the city", it's stupid.

Those comparisons suck. ATL is used way more often than "The A" and "A-Town" and looks way less ridiculous on a uniform. Also, does anyone refer to Toronto as TOR? I've never heard that before.

7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

What I liked about the creamcicle Bucs is that the design itself was absolutely traditional... White over color over white, standard striping that matched throughout... But then they imported this very non-traditional color scheme onto it.  They didn't try to compound a non-traditional design with non-traditional colors. It showed some thought and restraint.

can you say they were traditional back then? The nfl had only existed for a decade and even if you count pre merger teams uniforms were pretty generic since the introduction of helmets and pads. Pretty much the only thing unique about most teams was he colors which were almost all pretty standard and the logo on the helmet. It may be traditional now but that’s because they’re 40 years old. They also didn’t have the technology to make funky numbers or do crazy gimmicky things. I guess you are right that the design itself is ‘traditional’ but they didn’t have many options back then and it still falls into the problem that if i put it through a gray scale and removed the logo they’d look like half a dozen other teams

Regardless the trend now is “new old school”. and minimalist. For all the faults of the new falcons you can’t really say they’re too busy like their other designs (Jags, Bucs, Oregon etc). They’re pretty plain for the most part. And the Bills, 49ers, Bucs and soon to be LA Rams mimicking their older uniforms is just part of the recent trend that retro is cool

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

I agree with half of that. I think the Falcons definitely went the trendy route (which is fine but you're basically stuck in a never ending loop of updates). 

You know for something to be trendy it has to be liked, be popular, and be a theme with other teams

Are these new uniforms liked? Even on twitter people are thrashing then so no

Are they popular? It’s a bit early but i’d say no

Are other teams doing it? Please name me all the professional sports teams doing gradient jerseys. Go ahead i’ll wait

Id say the 49ers, Bills, Bucs, Rams and Jags are chasing trends since the bigger trend is minimalism and new oldschool 

I feel like outside of taking a generic template, coloring it with team colors and slapping the logo on it Nike simply isn’t going to please everyone. Even when Nike recreates an old uniforms everyone says ‘well they don’t count’ 

27 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

The nfl had only existed for a decade

Literally wrong.

It may be traditional now but that’s because they’re 40 years old

It was a traditional style back then. You could find stripes like what the Bucs had since the 30s and 40s

They also didn’t have the technology to make funky numbers or do crazy gimmicky things

Custom number fonts predate the merger. And the Browns had a gimmicky drop shadow on their numbers in the 40s. 

Please do us a favor and read up on both football and uniform history

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

Question that's probably already been answered but I don't feel like scrolling:

Are the ATL Falcons using the reds or blacks are their primary jersey?

I think (really hope) it's the black jerseys 

8 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

What I liked about the creamcicle Bucs is that the design itself was absolutely traditional... White over color over white, standard striping that matched throughout... But then they imported this very non-traditional color scheme onto it.  They didn't try to compound a non-traditional design with non-traditional colors. It showed some thought and restraint.

That was the magic of the San Jose Sharks, too, they applied an unorthodox color scheme to a traditional design and it still stood out as something new and different.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

That was the magic of the San Jose Sharks, too, they applied an unorthodox color scheme to a traditional design and it still stood out as something new and different.

I still think that inaugural set is the best the Sharks have ever looked, personally.

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I still think that inaugural set is the best the Sharks have ever looked, personally.

Terrible crest (the new one is worse), but fantastic template! Now with the Golden Knights demonstrating that shimmer fabric is possible in the NHL, it's time to (at the very least) have it back as a throwback.

s-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Terrible crest (the new one is worse), but fantastic template! Now with the Golden Knights demonstrating that shimmer fabric is possible in the NHL, it's time to (at the very least) have it back as a throwback.

I actually think the original logo works decently, especially since it has kinda a neon light sign vibe to it. The 2007 revamp is fine, but it does kind of lose me in a few areas. For instance, why the hell is the shark teal? Keeping it black would've been fine.

1 hour ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Literally wrong.

When i say the NFL i mean post merger nfl which began in the 60s

It was a traditional style back then. You could find stripes like what the Bucs had since the 30s and 40s

You mean like this?

6c602139cb050fd727f8fc7e13068e30.jpg

Or this? 

WA_Redskins_1938_small.jpg

Custom number fonts predate the merger. And the Browns had a gimmicky drop shadow on their numbers in the 40s. 

drop shadows had existed forever and are classic. Even then could you show a picture of them? This is Otto Graham in 48

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSP6i2a7JkVcba7Y54Ah8

The point i’m making is it would’ve been really difficult for the Bucs to make a gaudy jersey like today

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I actually think the original logo works decently, especially since it has kinda a neon light sign vibe to it. The 2007 revamp is fine, but it does kind of lose me in a few areas. For instance, why the hell is the shark teal? Keeping it black would've been fine.

The original logo fails in actually depicting a hockey stick 😛

24 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Washington 1947

spacer.png

Washington 1933

spacer.png

Oilers 1961

spacer.png

Ohio State 1944

spacer.png

that isn’t what i mean by custom number fonts. I mean like the Bucs alarm clock numbers or the Falcons current numbering. What could the Bucs have done to make their uniforms gimmicky? 

Ironic that you show OS with shadow drop when everyone is complaining about the Falcons shadow drop 

Just now, Reyes47 said:

that isn’t what i mean by custom number fonts. I mean like the Bucs alarm clock numbers or the Falcons current numbering

So a different font from the standard block, which is exactly what OSV posted. Custom font is custom font.

Archived