Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

I remember a while ago seeing these designs pop up from graphic artist Jesse Alkire. Not gonna lie he’s made some amazing design which i recommend checking out but these are probably the worst ones he’s done. I do think the current unis look much better

http://www.jessealkire.com/nfl#/falcons/

JesseAlkire_AtlantaFalcons.jpg?format=15

Some people call that amazing. Others call it templated garbage. Even the pants belt loops are color blocked. 

29 minutes ago, dont care said:

Some people call that amazing. Others call it templated garbage. Even the pants belt loops are color blocked. 

I mean the guy has some really good work even if they’re a bit gimmicky. My faves are the panthers, Jags, Browns, Chargers and Rams

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I really hope whenever we get a Redskins redesign, we don’t get a weird “DMV” alternate 

If they do, they should be forced to use the License plate font for numbers.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I tend to like more traditional uniforms, but I’m LOVING the Falcons look: ATL, gradient, and all. It works for the franchise and city. The more I see - the more I like. In comparison, I couldn’t be more bored with the Buccaneer “retro” set. The idea that those uniforms are “historic” and somehow akin to Namath era Jets or Classic Rams is laughable. 

After a few days, I’ve really come to these main conclusions on the Falcons new set:

1. As a set it has way too many options, especially if you swap around socks (and you know they will).

2. There is a good, maybe even slightly above-average set to be found in these combinations. I still think if they had limited themselves to black over white at home, white over black on the road, and the throwback (and never went monochrome), it’s right in the middle of NFL uniform sets.

3. Besides the gradient, going mono for both home (black) and road (white) Is awful, turning them into a team following the trend of the Saints, their division rivals (I don’t mind it for the Saints as it seems to be the Saints thing, but other teams shouldn’t imitate them - I’d feel the same way if another team put a logo on only one side of their helmet, that is a Steelers thing).
4. I think the Falcons will, at some point in the next three seasons become the first team to wear a different uniform combination for each game in the season (they can do it with this set, as long as you swap around socks). This is also not a good thing.

I guess to sum it up, it’s not a great design (gradient, not a great font, too many options); nor do I believe they will show restraint in using their mix and match combinations (starting with the “default” mono-looks).

Lastly, I shudder at the idea that the next team that builds on these ideas will be even worse — here’s a mix and match set with 8 basic combinations and multiple gradient uniforms featuring another awful custom font (and it’s possible that could be the Rams within a few weeks).

6 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

i’m just using wikipedia  and it says the cubs were the first major league team to use them

5 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Fixed.

5 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

Was something supposed to change? lol

Yeah, I’m just being flippant—I’m too lazy to actually make the edits in Wikipedia adding the requisite citations… 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

General query: is it me or is the obsession with swappable uniform elements a big thing nowadays? Nobody cared up until a few years ago. Now the exact uniform combo is such a Thing in football. There aren’t even that many games a year! Do we need a unique combination for each of them?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, daniel75 said:

So what do you all really think of these uni’s?

For me, they’re firmly in the “fine” category.

Looking at the design alone, I still think the logo is a bit overdone, especially now that the rest of the look is simpler. I think grey looks fine on the helmet, but I don’t think the way it’s used works very well (another example where the helmet looks like it was designed by a different team than the uniform). Both adding more grey or eliminating it altogether would work, but its use in this case isn’t coherent to me.

I don’t mind the garment designs (except the wordmark, which I would have left off). Other than that, it’s really just a stripe, and the stripe is a simple, fast, distinctive that links up pretty well to the tapered details in the logo. It’s not where I would have gone if given carte blanche, but if making any significant changes the logo was off the table, I think this is a pretty good solution.

The type could be better. Mark’s original wordmark was more refined than the new one, and even if they didn’t like how tracked out it was, I would have preferred they simply tighten up the original.

I like that the numbers better link to the team’s branding. It gives what is a very simple uniform a necessary jolt of personality and polish. That said, I think they could be better. I would revisit details such as the beak-like hooks (2), the super deep cutouts (8), and the unconnected bowls (9), for example. I think they could have gone more conservative with the details because the square footprint is enough to make them distinctly Atlanta. I think the nameplate lettering is fine, but the solution would have more in common with the other type, in my opinion. I definitely want red nameplate lettering on the home jersey.

I don’t mind the look of the side shadow, but I think they missed a conceptual opportunity to place the shadow along the top edge and reinforce that signature hunting pattern of a falcon; a 200mph downward dive, or stoop.

The gradient jersey doesn’t do much for me. It’s an interesting look, but it’s something you need to go all in with to make it work. I don’t think it works particularly well as it’s shown here.

If I had to “fix” it by changing only colors, I’d go for the aforementioned red nameplate lettering on the home, and I’d go with grey pants and black socks both home and road, instantly Improving the cohesion between helmet and uniform and establishing a consistent, distinctive look the team can rely and build on. Heck, at that point, I’d change all the white to grey. There’s more than enough red to differentiate them from the Raiders.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

9 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I could see legibility being the reason for going with white NOB on the black jerseys. I could see (or I guess couldn't see in this case) that red names would be very hard to read on the black of the jersey, especially from a distance.

I don’t think visibility is a huge concern regarding NOBs. It’s not like anyone is reading a players name while they’re making a play, they’re mostly just there to sell jerseys. Otherwise it would be impossible for those college teams that opt to omit them to play or be broadcasted. There’s a reason refs call out “#99, Defense” and not “Watt, Defense”

07Giants.pngnyy.png

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

General query: is it me or is the obsession with swappable uniform elements a big thing nowadays? Nobody cared up until a few years ago. Now the exact uniform combo is such a Thing in football. There aren’t even that many games a year! Do we need a unique combination for each of them?

To put it bluntly, no. I think the mix-n-match philosophy makes it difficult to build equity in your appearance, but more importantly, I think it’s an extremely wasteful use of resources. I wish brands would take those extra pants they give to the schools they’re already paying and instead donate them to smaller schools who do have to pay for their own gear and struggle to outfit their teams.

I’d be fine using the NFL preseason to experiment with other looks, but I think teams should have one home look and one road look.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

As more photos come out, I like these more and more. 

The number font isn't perfect but I can see what they were trying to achieve. I actually really like the gradient set, I think it works well and I like it that it comes up higher on the front. 

The weakest part of this set isn't any specific uniform item or design element, it's that they'll use monochrome as a first option when the monochrome black and white are the worst 2 combinations in the set. 

Something we shouldn't forget is that the set these are replacing was a mix and match set. The entire idea of the sleeve inserts was that it would be the same pattern whether you were looking at the black jersey, red jersey, or white jersey. The red piping on the black and white jerseys was designed so that the pants would be interchangeable with a consistent line down the seams. 

8856267b3c411c9558676c7abad364b6.jpg920x920.jpg2834526_original.jpg?1284560724atlanta-falcons-quarterback-doug-johnson

The Falcons only settled into a red over white at home, white over white on the road, plus a fauxback alternate after having all the same combinations they've released here. 

By big problem with this set is that it suffers the same problems as the previous one: wonky details that are in place solely to facilitate mix and match combos. Throw in a bad number font and you have to ask why they bothered. I guarantee this set follows the same path as the last one. After mixing it up for a season or two, they settle in to wearing one combo at home (probably black over black) and one on the road (probably white over white) with one game for the fauxback. 

57 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Something we shouldn't forget is that the set these are replacing was a mix and match set. The entire idea of the sleeve inserts was that it would be the same pattern whether you were looking at the black jersey, red jersey, or white jersey. The red piping on the black and white jerseys was designed so that the pants would be interchangeable with a consistent line down the seams. 

8856267b3c411c9558676c7abad364b6.jpg920x920.jpg2834526_original.jpg?1284560724atlanta-falcons-quarterback-doug-johnson

The Falcons only settled into a red over white at home, white over white on the road, plus a fauxback alternate after having all the same combinations they've released here. 

By big problem with this set is that it suffers the same problems as the previous one: wonky details that are in place solely to facilitate mix and match combos. Throw in a bad number font and you have to ask why they bothered. I guarantee this set follows the same path as the last one. After mixing it up for a season or two, they settle in to wearing one combo at home (probably black over black) and one on the road (probably white over white) with one game for the fauxback. 

Ehh... The only reason the black and white home combo wasn't worn, or chosen as the default, was because that's the exact uniform Vick broke his leg in. They deemed it cursed, and settled on the red, because the All black was seen as a "big game" uniform, until it was phased out. I'm not against the new All black and all white. They can be accented with white or red accessories, as most players will add their own flair to it. Dan Quinn said the players will choose what combos to wear, and they don't have a set in stone uniform schedule.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

I’d be fine using the NFL preseason to experiment with other looks, but I think teams should have one home look and one road look.

One home look, for sure, but there's a fair argument for "clash set" pants for some road teams. For instance, Bears @ Seahawks, both teams would be in navy blue pants and helmets, it might not hurt for the Bears to wear their white pants in that game for better separation between teams. Or take the Chiefs: maybe for special occasions, they can go all-white instead of white-red-white. But the home uniforms shouldn't have any variation or alternate jerseys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived