College Football 2020

Kevin W.

N.C. State Wolfpack Unveil “Blood Moon” Alternate Uniforms

October 21, 2020 - 21:01 PM

Though the next blood moon will not occur until May 26, 2021, the N.C. State football program will wear alternate uniforms inspired by the astronomical phenomenon against Florida State on Nov. 14. According to a press release, the matte black helmet and plain black pants signify the darkness of an

Read More...

23 hours ago, WSU151 said:

As much as I love the "Texas" on the front of the regular jerseys (it's just classic)...the unis really don't need it thanks to a strong brand. 

The lack of the Texas wordmark across the chest just make these feel like a generic, unlicensed depiction of the Longhorns. I understand they’re era appropriate, but I don’t think Texas’ brand is strong enough to withstand the lack of something that makes their brand whole (at least to me). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

The lack of the Texas wordmark across the chest just make these feel like a generic, unlicensed depiction of the Longhorns. I understand they’re era appropriate, but I don’t think Texas’ brand is strong enough to withstand the lack of something that makes their brand whole (at least to me). 

If I asked you to name a FBS team that had white helmets and dark burnt orange jerseys (or burnt orange numbers on white jerseys) with a double stripe on the sleeves...the only team you would name is Texas. Their overall look is that unique. 

Compare that to "The team I'm thinking about is maroon and white" or the like. 

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

If I asked you to name a FBS team that had white helmets and dark burnt orange jerseys (or burnt orange numbers on white jerseys) with a double stripe on the sleeves...the only team you would name is Texas. Their overall look is that unique. 

Compare that to "The team I'm thinking about is maroon and white" or the like. 

I mean, you’re talking about Texas A&M your last sentence. And you wouldn’t even have to say anything beyond burnt orange for me to know you were talking about Texas. But that just speaks more to the uniqueness of their respective color schemes than it does about their uniforms.

3 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

I mean, you’re talking about Texas A&M your last sentence. And you wouldn’t even have to say anything beyond burnt orange for me to know you were talking about Texas. But that just speaks more to the uniqueness of their respective color schemes than it does about their uniforms.

That’s kind of the point though...they don’t really need Texas on there because the colors are so unique. 

Mississippi State is also a maroon and white team (though gray pants have been worn regularly in recent years)

10 hours ago, TarPitHeels said:

Thought that was Arky State at first glance

Definitely something more fit for Arkansas State or Northern Illinois, it feels like they've explored just about every option with red, black, silver, and white... wish the alternate could be a throwback uniform more often than a random colorway.

• Like 1

Just now, WSU151 said:

That’s kind of the point though...they don’t really need Texas on there because the colors are so unique. 

But then the same can be said about every team that has a unique color scheme. That they don’t need identifiers like logos or wordmarks because their color scheme stands for itself.

26 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

But then the same can be said about every team that has a unique color scheme. That they don’t need identifiers like logos or wordmarks because their color scheme stands for itself.

Helmet logos will always be around. 

I’m just saying Texas doesn’t need the wordmark. You don’t see big wordmark identifiers on Alabama, USC, Michigan, or Ohio State. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I’m just saying Texas doesn’t need the wordmark. You don’t see big wordmark identifiers on Alabama, USC, Michigan, or Ohio State. 

But that’s a matter of personal preference more than anything. The wordmark makes their brand stronger, which was undoubtedly the intent behind putting there in the first place. By comparison, taking it away dilutes the brand that has been established for 40-plus years, as I said from the beginning. 

The other schools are irrelevant in the conversation because they’ve never had a wordmark on their respective uniforms, thus you’ve come to know their branding as is. Adding it now would be strange, but you wouldn’t think twice about it had they made the change in the 1970s like Texas did. And had they done it then, it would have been to strengthen their branding. It’s no different, at its core, than teams adding their logos at the base of their collar, just in a much larger format. 

Also, kudos for sneaking Mississippi State in there well after the fact. Though, like you said, they’re more maroon and gray than maroon and white. 

On 10/20/2020 at 8:13 AM, frosty06306 said:

New State alts for 11/14 vs Florida State - Blood Moon

Original Speculation from teaser video...

Reveal hidden contents

Judging from this...

Matte Black helmet with regular sized Tuffy head logo, no stripe.

Red jersey color swap with black and chrome outline on numbers/striping and WOLFPACK instead of NC STATE on chest.

Black Pants, maybe NC STATE on pants leg instead of Wolfpack in the red/chrome coloring - maybe just plain black?

Adidas templates are total trash right now. For football and the other football. 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

12 hours ago, frosty06306 said:

Definitely something more fit for Arkansas State or Northern Illinois, it feels like they've explored just about every option with red, black, silver, and white... wish the alternate could be a throwback uniform more often than a random colorway.

I agree. They need to embrace Red and White vs Red and Black imo. Also return to their NSC logo over the giant wolf head

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

But that’s a matter of personal preference more than anything. The wordmark makes their brand stronger, which was undoubtedly the intent behind putting there in the first place. By comparison, taking it away dilutes the brand that has been established for 40-plus years, as I said from the beginning. 

The other schools are irrelevant in the conversation because they’ve never had a wordmark on their respective uniforms, thus you’ve come to know their branding as is. Adding it now would be strange, but you wouldn’t think twice about it had they made the change in the 1970s like Texas did. And had they done it then, it would have been to strengthen their branding. It’s no different, at its core, than teams adding their logos at the base of their collar, just in a much larger format. 

Also, kudos for sneaking Mississippi State in there well after the fact. Though, like you said, they’re more maroon and gray than maroon and white. 

I would split the baby and remove the wordmark from the dark jersey and leave it on the white. There is no other school that looks like texas at home so the color combo is more than enough of an identifier.

• Like 2