College Football 2020

Kevin W.

Houston Cougars To Install New Turf At TDECU Stadium

February 3, 2020 - 21:41 PM

The University of Houston announced on Friday it is in the process of installing new FieldTurf at TDECU Stadium that will allow the Cougars to use a different field design for each home game this fall. “This is an important […]

Read More...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I like the blue and white checkerboard pattern for UK.

They may have stolen it from Tennessee, but when I think of blue and white checkerboard patterns I immediately think of Secretariat, horse racing and the Kentucky Derby. 

SecretariatPreaknessTonyLeonard.jpg?RK0z

You are right on both accounts.  The checkerboards are an homage to Secretariat, and they seem to be very unpopular among UK fans.  :D  I referred to them as the "Tennessee checkboards" as sarcasm.  AD Mitch Barnhardt has taken a stance that they're not going anywhere and it's not up for discussion, so I guess it's settled for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

You are right on both accounts.  The checkerboards are an homage to Secretariat, and they seem to be very unpopular among UK fans.  :D  I referred to them as the "Tennessee checkboards" as sarcasm.  AD Mitch Barnhardt has taken a stance that they're not going anywhere and it's not up for discussion, so I guess it's settled for the foreseeable future.

That's a dumb thing to object to. It's a great look, visually, and it's not like Kentucky has some Penn State-level history of tradition with their uniforms. 

• Like 2

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 2/4/2020 at 1:01 AM, Jungle Jim said:

This is the same guy who thinks the awkward/bent UK logo is better, right? 

Mitch's taste will be pretty awful until they bring back the big block K.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Power K BABY!!!!! There are a lot of us UK fans that miss the Power K, but usually in peoples minds now refers to the dark times when the football team was weak. I mean, they still are not where they need to be yet, but it would be nice to represent the early-mid 80's for a throwback uni today.

• Like 1
PersonDivided-2-1.png

On 2/3/2020 at 1:01 PM, pianoknight said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I like the blue and white checkerboard pattern for UK.

They may have stolen it from Tennessee, but when I think of blue and white checkerboard patterns I immediately think of Secretariat, horse racing and the Kentucky Derby. 

SecretariatPreaknessTonyLeonard.jpg?RK0z

I don't think the use of the pattern is bad looking in a vacuum, but within the context of being a visual staple for a rival it's an astronomically dumb decision to keep pushing it so hard. 

(I'm very biased, but still.)

• Like 1

spacer.png

21 hours ago, pianoknight said:

That's a dumb thing to object to. It's a great look, visually, and it's not like Kentucky has some Penn State-level history of tradition with their uniforms. 

Oh, I think the main source of the objection is the belief that it's not a great look.  I've yet to read an article where a fan or player praised them.  Reactions such as these are more typical...

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/like-you-gilgeous-alexander-thinks-uks-uniforms-are-awful/

12 hours ago, WSU151 said:

That's right, the UH logo.  We also got the "stapler wildcat" logo at the same time.  I don't see that used much, which is a good thing.

• Like 1

My relationship with UK’s checkers are split, I liked the idea of tying into the race horse patterns and jockey patterns but, and I mean this more towards our basketball uniforms, why can’t we just have a classic look, I think, even on the football uniforms, the checkers look too young for such a established program. And not to mention, it’s the pattern of our conference rivals. I would love to see the football uniforms return to something simpler. At least drop the chrome please. And for the basketball team to return to something like we had during the Rupp era. Duke and North Carolina haven’t touched their primaries or have gone back to their classic uniforms while we have this bad take at a modern uniform. I mean it’s not as bad as 2015, but we could look so much better. 

• Like 3

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 11:56 AM, coogrfan said:

The XFL's Houston Roughnecks have purchased new turf for TDECU Stadium. What better time to update our field graphics?

"The new FieldTurf will be customizable in a variety of ways, allowing Houston to create new field designs on its synthetic surface for each home football game. For the upcoming 2020 season, fans can expect a new design for each home game."

640x0.jpg

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/An-inside-look-into-UH-football-s-new-15071791.php

• Like 3

Proposal Would Allow College Football Players To Wear No. 0

February 29, 2020 - 18:06 PM

The NCAA Football Rules Committee met in Indianapolis this week and recommended several rule changes for the 2020 season, including that No. 0 be added as a legal jersey number. The proposed change comes in response to the increasing popularity […]

Read More...

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

How is it OK for TWO players to have the same jersey number?

One is usually on offense and the other on defense. That way neither player is on the field at the same time, which is why it was a thing.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, WBeltz said:

One is usually on offense and the other on defense. That way neither player is on the field at the same time, which is why it was a thing.

Not to mention that teams are allowed 85 scholarships plus however many walk-ons, so it is very realistic to have over 100 players and not have enough numbers for everyone. This is not even getting into the fact that each position may wear certain numbers, dictating number availability. It wouldn’t be possible without duplicates.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Not to mention that teams are allowed 85 scholarships plus however many walk-ons, so it is very realistic to have over 100 players and not have enough numbers for everyone. This is not even getting into the fact that each position may wear certain numbers, dictating number availability. It wouldn’t be possible without duplicates.

Good point.

MABLK6s.png

And I just wanted to say I noticed you made the 960,000th post on this board. Congrats bro! 

spacer.png

😂

• Like 8

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

On 2/29/2020 at 11:54 PM, aawagner011 said:

There’s also the issue that pops up when schools retire a jersey in honor of former player and actually take that number out of circulation, as opposed to continuing to use it but having honorary patches on a current player’s uniform.

On 2/29/2020 at 7:41 PM, WBeltz said:

Sometimes you have duplicates on special teams, though. It's rare, but I recall a few times in the past that Nebraska had two special teams guys with the same number. Usually like a TE and then a LB or DB. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN