College Football 2020

Kevin W.

3 minutes ago, Ark said:

This shows how good the Tennessee Titans could look. 

When you have such a unique (and beautiful) color scheme, less is more. Let the colors speak for themselves. Texas is a prime example of that. 

While the Titans had room for improvement, they absolutely went the wrong direction in their latest rebrand. 

• Like 12

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:50 PM, the admiral said:

Maybe I should get used to the fact that it's going to be nothing but performative gestures everywhere we turn while everyone's actual lives just keep getting worse!

It was a direct request from the student athletes, so I don’t really see it as an empty, performative gesture from the school.

• Like 5

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 7/17/2020 at 8:59 AM, Gothamite said:

It hasn't been in the past.  https://brand.wisc.edu/print/logos/

This is the "institutional logo", used in different versions by the University as a whole. 

I'm not aware that UW has ever "crossed the streams" like this before, using the institutional logo in a sports context.  Wonder if this means the school will be using the black-W version in other applications; otherwise, why not just reverse the black and red on the helmet logo?

I can't find a picture of it right now, but the crest has been on an alternate jersey/sweater for the Women's Hockey team, generally considered to be the school's most successful athletic program.

As I recall, it was a white jersey featuring an older version of the crest over two horizontal red stripes.

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Thank you - I don't remember that at all.

Were you thinking of this one?

Wisconsin%20Badgers%20Cardinal%20College

No, it was the crest, but an older version of the crest, similar to the version that was in use when I graduated:

spacer.png

The emblem originates from the athletics end of campus since it is a flourish on both ends of the UW Field House.  It was actually a graphic designer hired by the medical school in the mid '80s who first turned the Field House "W" into a crest that would be used as a logo by an academic department.

https://news.wisc.edu/who-knew-19/

The two-dimensional version of the crest was soon adopted by the rest of campus and later refined.  There used to be a complex version and a simplified version, but the complex version (seen on that flag in my previous post and in Madison Cone's tweet) is largely being phased out.

spacer.png

https://daniellelawry.com/portfolio_page/university-of-wisconsin-madison-rebrand/

Here is a newer flag with the latest updates to the crest and university wordmark:

spacer.png

• Like 1

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

Black W's won't improve the living conditions of Afro-Americans. Same goes for the lives of Native Americans in reservations across the U.S. just because the Washington Redskins (finally) are going to change their utterly racist nickname/identity.

Don't misunderstand me: these corrections are good and necessary. But they all will eventually be just a waste of time if the political system isn't ready to change itself – and the system that it has created over the course of decades.

A black W inside a crest eventually won't mean a thing if out-of-control police brutality against the Afro-American minority can continue because politicians on both sides of the aisle refuse to demilitarize police, refuse to revise qualification and training for cops (deescalation instead of escalation tactics), refuse to acknowledge that there's a basic problem with racism and misuse of power among cops. As long as there are exclusively lip service or platitudes in politics, because too much money has been involved ever since, things can only get worse.

• Like 2

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

On 7/17/2020 at 5:07 PM, Gothamite said:

Fair enough.

I’m sure there are people who like the old Sabres logo and don’t prefer the term “Buffaslug”.  But there we are.  I see people refer disparagingly to the Brewers’ glove logo  (which I have fond memories of, even if it’s not my favorite) as the “paw”.

I really don’t mean anything personal by it.  It’s just a catchy nickname.

Granted, I've almost never talked with anyone outside of these boards about the logo, but I tend to think it's very well-liked in Madison and among alumni.  Doesn't hurt that it's associated with the ascension of the football program. It has pretty much nothing in common with the Buffaslug, which was partly hated for the huge disappointment it was when fans were anticipating a return to the good ol' days.

And to be honest, I am a lukewarm fan of the motion-W.  I liked it on the football helmets day 1 when I was still a high schooler in Minnesota.  And I'm so old that when I arrived on campus, it was pretty much just a football logo.  That's how I kinda wish it had stayed.  The previous "W" never looked that good on a football helmet to me.  But I think the motion s**k W has been a negative elsewhere.  The basic W look better on basketball shorts, for example, and particularly on the old-school sweater worn by Bucky Badger.  So I'm not a huge fan of the logo, but I think it's very well liked.

As for the crest, I never liked the logo, probably because I associated with University Ridge golf course (I had friends that loved golf and I don't).

As for the issue at hand, I don't have the energy to discuss it.  I don't think it's going to be a game-changer but I don't need to strut my cynicism and mock it, either.

• Like 3

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

46 minutes ago, doctorpeligro said:

It’s a relatively simple change to make.  The administration would have looked like d*cks if they hadn’t agreed to it.

The biggest problem: for how long do they have to keep using it?

Well, that's always the issue.  We're still stuck with many of the empty gestures inaugurated after 9/11, and some of the ones we were able to get rid of lingered until the last couple years.

I think the University would be best off saying "We're doing this for the _____ season/school year, to recognize this moment in our nation's history."  Make it clear that it's a temporary tribute.  Leaving it open-ended makes it hard to remove without seeming like you no longer care about the issue or that you're dumb enough to think the issue has been solved.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, doctorpeligro said:

The emblem originates from the athletics end of campus since it is a flourish on both ends of the UW Field House.

XfX4CoJ.jpg

On 7/19/2020 at 5:35 PM, doctorpeligro said:

I can't find a picture of it right now, but the crest has been on an alternate jersey/sweater for the Women's Hockey team, generally considered to be the school's most successful athletic program.

As I recall, it was a white jersey featuring an older version of the crest over two horizontal red stripes.

I'd really like to see that sweater. I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

• Like 1

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."