College Football 2020

Kevin W.

It's a gorgeous flourish, and I'm glad that the University has adopted it as a symbol.  But even though the inspiration for the logo comes from the Field House, I'm not aware that it's ever been considered an athletics mark.  I'm pretty sure they designed the logo as something for the University as a whole.

6 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

Black W's won't improve the living conditions of Afro-Americans. Same goes for the lives of Native Americans in reservations across the U.S. just because the Washington Redskins (finally) are going to change their utterly racist nickname/identity.

Don't misunderstand me: these corrections are good and necessary. But they all will eventually be just a waste of time if the political system isn't ready to change itself – and the system that it has created over the course of decades.

A black W inside a crest eventually won't mean a thing if out-of-control police brutality against the Afro-American minority can continue because politicians on both sides of the aisle refuse to demilitarize police, refuse to revise qualification and training for cops (deescalation instead of escalation tactics), refuse to acknowledge that there's a basic problem with racism and misuse of power among cops. As long as there are exclusively lip service or platitudes in politics, because too much money has been involved ever since, things can only get worse.

I honestly hate the argument that this “won’t change anything”. No one is claiming that the black W or dropping redskins will solve everything. The truth of the matter is that these teams aren’t part of the government, and their actions hold no real political power. So when we argue that the actions have no value and won’t contribute to further legislation, it undercuts the real purpose of the change and leaves some mad at the team for something they can’t control.

• Like 2

Excellent!

18 minutes ago, Krz said:

I honestly hate the argument that this “won’t change anything”. No one is claiming that the black W or dropping redskins will solve everything. The truth of the matter is that these teams aren’t part of the government, and their actions hold no real political power. So when we argue that the actions have no value and won’t contribute to further legislation, it undercuts the real purpose of the change and leaves some mad at the team for something they can’t control.

More than that, I think these types of actions can and sometimes do result in real change.

Marriage Equality was a punchline until enough Americans said "wait, why can't gay couples get married?"  Which happened in part because lots of people and companies started normalizing it.   A whole bunch of seemingly empty gestures added up to change minds. 

The more we can normalize companies and schools and individuals saying "yeah, systemic racism is a real thing", the more likely it becomes that we'll muster the political will to actually do something about it.

Individually?  Yeah, probably pretty meaningless.  But taken collectively, they can literally change the world.  So I'm loath to dismiss any of them, no matter how self-serving or crass.  If entities feel pressure to do the right thing, they're still doing the right thing.

• Like 5

Maybe it'll work out better than the last time Wisconsin tried to shoehorn in support for black students.

wisconsin.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

20 hours ago, Krz said:

I didn't say that "the actions have no value and won't contribute to further legislation". I used the word IF. The word IF is THE keyword. Basically, you're agreeing with me, you just don't like the way I've put it. And thanks for clarfiying that sports and politics are two different fields...

20 hours ago, Gothamite said:

More than that, I think these types of actions can and sometimes do result in real change.

Marriage Equality was a punchline until enough Americans said "wait, why can't gay couples get married?"  Which happened in part because lots of people and companies started normalizing it.   A whole bunch of seemingly empty gestures added up to change minds. 

The more we can normalize companies and schools and individuals saying "yeah, systemic racism is a real thing", the more likely it becomes that we'll muster the political will to actually do something about it.

Individually?  Yeah, probably pretty meaningless.  But taken collectively, they can literally change the world.  So I'm loath to dismiss any of them, no matter how self-serving or crass.  If entities feel pressure to do the right thing, they're still doing the right thing.

I was referring to police culture and police brutality against Afro-Americans. You won't change police culture through symbolism. That's a fact. Or how do you want to involve companies in this regard? It exclusively needs some appropriate, coherent legislation in order to start solving this giant problem because these cops won't change their attitude voluntarily. A fish always rots from the head down. And if politicians decide to keep looking away for obvious reasons – which they're doing as we speak – or in the best case scenario, throwing some legislative breadcrumbs to people's feet, nothing positive will change for Afro-Americans – in terms of the big picture. But it actually could also get even worse. Meaning that symbolism will always remain just symbolism and no more than this, if politicians won't draw the right conclusions.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Nothing confirmed...just speculating...

Northwestern FB tweeted about the 1995 season like 9 billion times this week...gotta think '95 throwbacks are coming for the 25th anniversary of Rose Bowl. 

Also...I think this is just for retail only...but Gator throwback in the works?

Emmitt Smith Florida Gators Jordan Brand Ring of Honor Untouchable Replica Jersey - Orange

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Nothing confirmed...just speculating...

Northwestern FB tweeted about the 1995 season like 9 billion times this week...gotta think '95 throwbacks are coming for the 25th anniversary of Rose Bowl. 

Also...I think this is just for retail only...but Gator throwback in the works?

Emmitt Smith Florida Gators Jordan Brand Ring of Honor Untouchable Replica Jersey - Orange

I hope so.  I'm not crazy about the Gators in orange but that's a nice looking jersey.

• Like 3

IUe6Hvh.png

Florida is releasing Ring of Honor merch for each inductee during the next few years. It's a merch drop, highly doubtful they have any connection to on-field uniforms.

They also dropped a Jack Youngblood jersey alongside the Emmitt Smith

Jack Youngblood Florida Gators Jordan Brand Ring of Honor Untouchable Replica Jersey - White

• Like 3

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

1 hour ago, Clintau24 said:

Florida is releasing Ring of Honor merch for each inductee during the next few years. It's a merch drop, highly doubtful they have any connection to on-field uniforms.

They also dropped a Jack Youngblood jersey alongside the Emmitt Smith

Jack Youngblood Florida Gators Jordan Brand Ring of Honor Untouchable Replica Jersey - White

I realize I am probably in the minority here, but I much prefer this striping on the away's to what they have currently. The floating stripes look fine, and I understand they provide consistency. But when paired with the current away numbers, this look would be consistent as well, sharper overall, and historically relevant.

Count me as a fan of the above Emmit Smith orange jersey as well. The blue just pops so much more as the middle stripe. Florida has great uniforms, some of the best in all of college football but I think they are still a few tweaks away from perfection. Not a fan of the white alternate lids, but the throwbacks vs Auburn last year were top notch.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Tennessee double pants stripes have returned

I am guessing with the coaching turnover and the lack of wins that the original nike tweaks are associated doomed what was an otherwise subtle attempt at creating some uniqueness in the vols uniform. Compared to the fsu mess that nike tried to force I thought the checkerboard design was not too extreme to be accepted. If I was to rank their pants I would go stripeless, single stripe, then the double stripe comes in with a very meh 3rd place.

I prefer the double stripe over the plain white pants. But I also really liked the previous single stripe with the checkers. It was a subtle and clever way to integrate another part of their identity into the uniforms. It did not drastically change their design and was still a traditional look. I also liked how it matched the helmet. From the front, it was the same Tennessee we all knew but had a little extra flair on the back of the helmet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

I prefer the double stripe over the plain white pants. But I also really liked the previous single stripe with the checkers. It was a subtle and clever way to integrate another part of their identity into the uniforms. It did not drastically change their design and was still a traditional look. I also liked how it matched the helmet. From the front, it was the same Tennessee we all knew but had a little extra flair on the back of the helmet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I’m pretty sure I’ve made the argument here somewhere that UK should drop the checkers from their identity because it’s always felt more Tennessee than UK. I still stand by that, but for right now, UK has completely transformed their identity around checkers and Tennessee has dropped them. It should stay that way.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Man, that was the pinnacle of aesthetics for UT. Classic with just a hint of distinction (the wide stripes, checks, and subtle “moonshiner block” numbers). Loved it.

• Like 4

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]