College Football 2020

Kevin W.

On 4/1/2020 at 7:37 PM, See Red said:

Sadly, six or seven years ago, at the height of CFB uniform insanity, I might have believed this. 

Central Arkansas announced their football field's redesign on April 1, so now I never know what to believe.

9QwkSd3.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Colt16 said:

Kellen Mond teasing A&M could be going back to their 1990-2006 uniforms 

I'd be in favor of that. I like the current helmets (not as much as the throwback above), but the unis with the beveled numbers are a bit tired. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Those uniforms have always been nice clean and timeless. Adidas started doing all the goofy lines and grey pants and ish just because. The current helmet, shoulder stripes, and numbers have always given a cheap MAC school vibe that doesn’t fit aTm at all. If Austin, who is the weird city and school, hasn’t changed why did the Aggies ever change?! Bring them back and keep them! No stripes and no matte or whatever they claim that crap is! Simple traditional timeless beautiful! BRING IT BACK!

• Like 1

I don't understand how so many people on these boards just prefer block fonts and chest wordmarks over something intentionally designed. The shoulder stripes and the well done bevels that tie into the logo make the current TAMU set a modern classic. I don't think they need to change a thing.

• Like 27

46 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I don't understand how so many people on these boards just prefer block fonts and chest wordmarks over something intentionally designed. The shoulder stripes and the well done bevels that tie into the logo make the current TAMU set a modern classic. I don't think they need to change a thing.

Good intentional design doesn't have to be gimmicky, though. The beveled numbers are really gimmicky, especially since the helmet logo doesn't have the bevel. 

I really don't think anything is gained here; in fact, the numbers would look way better if they were just flat.

San Jose State football: Former Arkansas, Texas A&M quarterback ...

• Like 10

Having watched almost every A&M game since they switched to their current uniform set, Texas A&M needs 3 things for this combo to last a while.

- Get rid of the bevels on the numbers

- a larger wordmark.

-a white facemask

here's a before and after of what I mean, taken from a game last year against Mississippi State. (edited version is the first one)

BWrvghq.pngrTIoO0O.png

I understand the want for those '98 uniforms, it was the team's only Big 12 title and that uniform holds a lot of significance to Aggie fans, as well as looks "like a college uniform should look like", with the faux-mesh and the incorrectly scaled wordmark with a basic font, it gives an old school feel.

HOWEVER, the look above accomplishes a simple, effective, and unique look that adheres to history at a school which revers its traditions.  is addition by subtraction on the bevels, as a lack of them creates a much more direct look, while the number font is kept intact to still retain the vibe of the original uniform (an even weighted standard block makes the uniform vastly inferior, and if evidence is needed, look at the 1974-76 uniforms, also also the accompanying wordmark is one of the best in the country in capturing the the identity of its school while still staying aesthetically pleasing). The larger wordmark just balances the front of the uniform and gets rid of the empty space made by the Primeknit A1 template without looking awkward.

The racing stripes can (and should) stay for a few reasons:

Without it, the uniform needs either stripes (most likely either northwestern or Bucky Richardson-era stripes) or will go without any and become an updated version of the 98 uniform. Both are fine, but neither is an identifiable feature on the uniform the way that the stripes are, and allows for a more iconic overall athletic identity. Furthermore, JOHNNY GD FOOTBALL. Even if you're *barely* interacting with Aggie culture, you understand that Manziel looms large. He is still an icon in College Station despite everything that happened after his time at A&M, and the uniforms certainly hold an important place within Aggie culture because of it.

It's not a bad set, y'all! I think the bevels really soured a lot of people on the look, and hopefully this changed your mind(?) idk

• Like 28

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I think the current set is extremely well designed, and was perfect for A&M as we moved into the SEC with a high-powered Sumlin offense led by Manziel and Evans in 2012. In general I think Aggies like the uniforms, but the combos went overboard and the play on the field went down after Johnny left.

With Jimbo at the helm, we want a return to the classic, no-nonsense design. The bevels look fine on the numbers, but they look bad on the logo that inspires them. The glossy maroon helmets and white facemasks are superior to the satin lids and grey masks. I will say, I do like the shoulder and pants striping.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jgiff17 said:

Exactly! Aggies absolutely hate the beveled aTm...is there any example of a beveled logo that actually looks good? They usually look busy and do not Carry over to hats or any small sewn on logo very well

I think Texas Tech's bevel is pretty good and I think is better than the old flat version.

4661.gif4692.gif

I have a hat with the Tech logo on it and I don't really have any complaints with how it translated over.

The difference with A&M's logo is that 1) I don't believe Aggie fans really like the bevels, and 2) the beveling on the A&M logo is incorrect.

Spoiler

LetterToLeadership-8.jpg

LetterToLeadership-9.jpg

LetterToLeadership-10.jpg

All these images are taken from a website called nobevel.com, hence my point about A&M fans not liking the logo.

• Like 16

IbjBaeE.png

The 1998 A&M uniform would be too plain for my liking. @Htown1141 made a perfect concept for what I would want an A&M uniform to look like. Just make a few tweaks to get rid of the elements that date the uniform. No need to go to full scale the opposite direction and remove all character.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2020 at 1:47 PM, monkeypower said:

I think Texas Tech's bevel is pretty good and I think is better than the old flat version.

4661.gif4692.gif

I have a hat with the Tech logo on it and I don't really have any complaints with how it translated over.

The difference with A&M's logo is that 1) I don't believe Aggie fans really like the bevels, and 2) the beveling on the A&M logo is incorrect.

Hide contents

All these images are taken from a website called nobevel.com, hence my point about A&M fans not liking the logo.

they have a pretty good argument but they might get more traction if they didn't host it on a mid 90's website. 

but honestly they could drop the bevel elements from their existing uniforms and call it a day. No reason to strip it down past the basics 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 4/8/2020 at 11:26 AM, dannykraft said:

Temple just announced theyre switching to nike. While in general I prefer nike over under armour I'm afraid they're goning to start getting more stock/teambuilder jerseys then the custom ones UA had. 

UA did a good job with Temple, but some looks were a bit "extra". 

Temple is one of my favorite college identities, so hopefully Nike doesn't ruin it. 

• Like 2

A&M's problem on the current uniforms is not the stripes. I love that feature because it's a throwback to the '70s. The beveled fonts on the helmet logo and the jersey wordmark are the issue. The beveled fonts need to go ASAP.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, cheo25 said:

A&M's problem on the current uniforms is not the stripes. I love that feature because it's a throwback to the '70s. The beveled fonts on the helmet logo and the jersey wordmark are the issue. The beveled fonts need to go ASAP.

I don't think there are beveled fonts on the helmet logo and wordmark...

• Like 3

On 4/1/2020 at 7:37 PM, See Red said:

Sadly, six or seven years ago, at the height of CFB uniform insanity, I might have believed this. 

Shorten the pants a little, and Croatia can use them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I don't think there are beveled fonts on the helmet logo and wordmark...

Texas A&M vs. Texas State score: Aggies roll Bobcats 41-7 - Team ...

There aren't, just on the numbers.  But to add to the problem of bevel vs no bevel, the pants logo features the beveled aTm on the state logo. 

• Like 7

AmPJ0Ty.png