College Football 2020

Kevin W.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

TCU is always such a mess. Every new design is just one fail after another. They followed Northwestern's blueprint of adding black then letting the black take over, but somehow did it even worse. Frog skin, spikey necklaces, friggin bloody eyes? It's like they put local middle schoolers in charge.

Arkansas finally figured out the if you've got one color that looks great with white and a visually awesome animal mascot, simple is always better. Maybe someday TCU will do likewise.

They should really go back to the LaDainian Tomlinson days of the late 90s/early 2000's.

• Like 4

Purple and black is fine for TCU, just like how it works fine for the Ravens. It also represents their entire modern history as a successful football program. Why would they switch back to purple and white - to remind people of when they were in the basement of the SWC for 36 years?

The change they should actually make is to lean into the "bloodshot eyes" thing and add some subtle red trim to the color scheme.

For the record, Arkansas is not a great counterexample at the moment. They're never going to be Oklahoma or Alabama no matter how many times they try to dress up like them.

• Like 6

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

Purple and black is fine for TCU, just like how it works fine for the Ravens. It also represents their entire modern history as a successful football program. Why would they switch back to purple and white - to remind people of when they were in the basement of the SWC for 36 years?

The change they should actually make is to lean into the "bloodshot eyes" thing and add some subtle red trim to the color scheme.

For the record, Arkansas is not a great counterexample at the moment. They're never going to be Oklahoma or Alabama no matter how many times they try to dress up like them.

Ok, first off, why would they switch back to purple and white? I love the easy questions... if you're asking me, they'd switch back because it would look much much better than anything they've tried to do this century.

You might  be right that the Ravens do purple and black better than most football teams that have tried it, but that's the very definition of faint praise. Most of the Ravens two dozen combos are pretty bad.

If you're interested in more bloody eye goofiness, I'm sure those middle schoolers are still available.

And for the record, Arkansas doesn't need to worry about what Oklahoma or Alabama are doing, they have a history with that uniform and just a much right to it as anyone else. This whole desire to be unique at all costs is why nine out of ten modern college football uniforms are so bad. Unique does not equal good. In fact, these days the opposite is almost always true.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The thing about TCU is that red seems so out of character. It's fine for a one-off, but Purple/White/Silver/Black is already a bit too much. Purple/Black/White should be the colors TCU sticks too. But this awful alternate uniform is one of the most horrid things I ever seen. Too many colors and too little elements that work together. 

On another note, Nevada has a new helmet, and it has to be one of the best things introduced this year!

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

4 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

The thing about TCU is that red seems so out of character. It's fine for a one-off, but Purple/White/Silver/Black is already a bit too much. Purple/Black/White should be the colors TCU sticks too. But this awful alternate uniform is one of the most horrid things I ever seen. Too many colors and too little elements that work together. 

On another note, Nevada has a new helmet, and it has to be one of the best things introduced this year!

That looks like a throwback helmet for Nevada.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:34 PM, RayFinkle said:

Mizzou looked good. White/Black/White.

And Iowa State. White/Red?/White.

Mizzou needs to decide if they are going to go with a traditional or modern uniform set. The helmet and pants worn was more traditional, but they wore their modern jersey with the pairing. The first two games were more of their modern look, but the LSU game looked more traditional. So I believe they need to standardize which pants template they want to go with in the future and roll with it. I hope they choose the traditional stripes and put them on their yellow and black pants. 

Week 1: Modern jersey & pants

spacer.png

Week 2: Modern jersey and pants

spacer.png

Week 3: modern jersey, traditonal pants 

spacer.png

• Like 2

spacer.png

Looks like BYU is halfassing a Gifford Nielsen throwback when they play at Houston this week (Go Cougars!). All they did was switch the normal facemasks to grey--no old school helmet logo, no TV numbers on the sleeve (though I'm not sure where numbers would fit). Maybe what they actually wear in the game will be different, but I'm not holding my breath. This is basically like the Manning era Colts wearing black shoes and saying the Unitas look was back.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

27 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

Looks like BYU is halfassing a Gifford Neilsen throwback when they play at Houston this week (Go Cougars!). All they did was switch the normal facemasks to grey--no old school helmet logo, no TV numbers on the sleeve (though I'm not sure where numbers would fit). Maybe what they actually wear in the game will be different, but I'm not holding my breath. This is basically like the Manning era Colts wearing black shoes and saying the Unitas look was back.

Nielsen was the sports director of the Houston CBS affiliate for 25 years after playing as a QB for the Oilers and I believe still lives in town so its nice to see a tribute to someone who has ties to both communities.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, reb_fan_23 said:

Looks like the gray pants might be out for Ole Miss after wearing the white ones for the third week in a row.

spacer.png  

Will be interested to see if Lane Kiffin makes this a permanent change.   

If they stick with white pants for everything, they really need red stripes on them.

I understand why’d they want to get away from silver/gray, though it always looked nice aesthetically. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Nevada Wolf Pack Reveal New Silver Helmet

October 13, 2020 - 00:28 AM

In preparation for the upcoming season, the Nevada football program unveiled a new helmet over the weekend. The glossy silver helmet is essentially the inverse of the Wolf Pack’s navy blue lid, as it prominently displays a navy blue “Pack” script on the left side and the player’s number on

Read More...

EkD23rOXYAcaWJj.jpeg

Beautiful helmet. Would be even better if the Pack wordmark was on both sides instead the logo being on one side, number on the other. That might be the worst trend in college football - I can't think of a time that it's looked good.

• Like 3

ExJworW.png

19 hours ago, reb_fan_23 said:

Looks like the gray pants might be out for Ole Miss after wearing the white ones for the third week in a row.

spacer.png  

Will be interested to see if Lane Kiffin makes this a permanent change.   

Yes!! Just because the NY Giants did it does not mean every navy blue and red team has to wear gray pants. Kansas has also been very guilty of this over the years.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, TenaciousG said:

Yes!! Just because the NY Giants did it does not mean every navy blue and red team has to wear gray pants. Kansas has also been very guilty of this over the years.

To be fair, they've been wearing grey pants at least since Archie Manning.. 

• Like 4

Nebraska has unveiled their annual alternate uniform with a very confusing horror-themed video. All for a inverse colored version of last year's blackshirt set. 

Gotta say, the video is the only interesting thing here. Ruins the idea of "blackshirt", and it seems they have put more effort into the video than trying to get results on the field. 🙃 Gotta be honest. I would take last year's alternate over this every time.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

There were rumors last year of an away version being made so that the team can wear the Blackshirt jerseys after any game where the defense holds the offense to under X amount of points. I like the idea as long as they actually stick to it and don’t just throw them on after a bye week again after seeing that the defense probably won’t hold up their end of the bargain. That was a pretty bad look (but the uniforms were sweet!). 

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Nebraska Cornhuskers Unveil Road Version Of “Blackshirts” Alternate Uniform

October 14, 2020 - 14:00 PM

The Nebraska football program unveiled the road version of its “Blackshirts” alternate uniform during a two-minute horror film posted to social media on Tuesday evening.  Aside from the helmet, which features a black facemask and decals, the alternate uniform is essentially the inverse of last year’s “Blackshirts” uniform, which included

Read More...

Sam Houston State Bearkats Unveil New Uniforms

October 14, 2020 - 23:47 PM

In a move that should come as no surprise after Sam Houston State unveiled new logos and an updated color scheme this spring, the Bearkats’ football program released the corresponding uniform changes on Tuesday afternoon. Sam Houston State’s new Under Armour uniforms are rather simple compared to the previous set,

Read More...

• Like 1