College Football 2020

Kevin W.

The Ducks will be in apple green/white/white at Wazzu:

This is the same combo that they wore at ASU last season (which was a loss), with the only difference being the new cleats and the lack of the CFB150 patch. I was hoping for apple/white/apple with yellow helmet decals, but this is still a really sharp and crisp combo and should contrast nicely with WSU’s all-crimson. I would’ve liked to have seen green tights and socks to better balance the look from head to toe, but there’s still a small chance that they could end up doing that.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 11/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, upperV03 said:

2016 was definitely a rough year in terms of uniforms (and in terms of the play on the field) because it was just all over the place with a bunch of one-offs and a lack of a consistent design direction. 2017 was better, but still sort of a mishmash of different pieces. Although the 2018 set had its issues (numbers that were too large and an insistence on mono combos), that really was the start of the Ducks getting back on track. Last year’s set fixed the issues of the 2018 set, and was essentially getting back to the basics, while also retaining some flashy elements like the winged helmets and the unique number treatment. I suspect the next set will be a bit flashier and more experimental, but the current set was/is a necessary retreat back to something simpler and more cohesive IMO. Last year they actually wore 12 different combos in 14 games, and they were all what I would describe as “good” combos (some better than others, but all good). Last year they essentially rebuilt their uniform foundation, with tasteful mixing and matching and a set that was fairly simple and cohesive. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I can tell you that for most Ducks fans we are pretty satisfied with the current direction, with the hope that they’ll build on the current set and get back to something that’s not as barebones but that is still cohesive and unified. Just for fun, here’s a chart showing all the combos worn last season:

Now I will say I absolutely agree with @oldschoolvikings that they need to focus more on the apple green and yellow, and wear the dark green or black sparingly in comparison. I don’t agree that they should get rid of those colors altogether, though. 

I've loved their uniforms but they officially jumped the shark for me in 2015. In the past, mixing and matching with so many of their looks tied the colors and finishes all together. With the black jersey for example -- the black, silver, and yellow allowed you to wear a black helmet, yellow helmet, gray helmet, chrome helmet, or even the carbon helmet with that jersey. You could also wear black pants, yellow pants, or gray pants with that jersey. It gave them legitimate options for mixing and matching without looking like they are slapping random pieces together (M&MFM&MS :P) or needing to go straight monochrome every week. Each combination looked intentional and I think that separated them from most the pretenders who have tried to emulate them since.

jxqFYd4.png

Their look now is good in its own way, as it was probably time to tone down how busy their previous sets were. While I think Oregon should still be mixing and matching, I don't think all of the new combinations work being mixed and matched all that much due to the simplicity of colors used. Here, the green is the only color on the jersey, but is not visible anywhere else. Yellow is prominent on the helmet and pants, but not on the jersey. Silver is featured on the helmet but is not used elsewhere on any of their uniforms.

Oregon_vs_USC_1122019fi360-3703.jpg

Why even have a helmet with silver wings in this set when silver/gray is no longer used on their jerseys or pants? The wings on the yellow lid should be nightmare green and only worn with the nightmare green, yellow, and those alternate white jerseys. Nightmare green wings (and maybe a matching facemask) would've looked so much better here. 

EZECJGR.png

I know chrome has been overplayed but I miss the flash of chrome from Oregon. But even when they wear chrome lids now, it doesn't really match any of the combinations due to the lack of gray/silver on all of the uniforms. The helmet worn against Washington is probably my favorite helmet of theirs currently but they don't really have a set to properly wear with it. Wearing it with either white set is their best bet. The Rose Bowl lid almost works with the nightmare green wings but it still looks a bit out of place to me against the dull shade of green. (Nothing flashy about their nightmare green set.) 

r440r2O.png

When they piece the uniform together as intended below, it looks great for the most part. The extent of their mixing and matching should be to find their best kelly sets, their best nightmare sets, their best yellow sets, etc. and roll with it. 

9re8Bmh.png

• Like 7

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

1 minute ago, j'villejags said:

I've loved their uniforms but they officially jumped the shark for me in 2015. In the past, mixing and matching with so many of their looks tied the colors and finishes all together. With the black jersey for example -- the black, silver, and yellow allowed you to wear a black helmet, yellow helmet, gray helmet, chrome helmet, or even the carbon helmet with that jersey. You could also wear black pants, yellow pants, or gray pants with that jersey. It gave them legitimate options for mixing and matching without looking like they are slapping random pieces together (M&MFM&MS :P) or needing to go straight monochrome every week. Each combination looked intentional and I think that separated them from most the pretenders who have tried to emulate them since.

jxqFYd4.png

Their look now is good in its own way, as it was probably time to tone down how busy their previous sets were. While I think Oregon should still be mixing and matching, I don't think all of the new combinations work being mixed and matched all that much due to the simplicity of colors used. Here, the green is the only color on the jersey, but is not visible anywhere else. Yellow is prominent on the helmet and pants, but not on the jersey. Silver is featured on the helmet but is not used elsewhere on any of their uniforms.

Oregon_vs_USC_1122019fi360-3703.jpg

Why even have a helmet with silver wings in this set when silver/gray is no longer used on their jerseys or pants? The wings on the yellow lid should be nightmare green and only worn with the nightmare green, yellow, and those alternate white jerseys. Nightmare green wings (and maybe a matching facemask) would've looked so much better here. 

EZECJGR.png

I know chrome has been overplayed but I miss the flash of chrome from Oregon. But even when they wear chrome lids now, it doesn't really match any of the combinations due to the lack of gray/silver on all of the uniforms. The helmet worn against Washington is probably my favorite helmet of theirs currently but they don't really have a set to properly wear with it. Wearing it with either white set is their best bet. The Rose Bowl lid almost works with the nightmare green wings but it still looks a bit out of place to me against the dull shade of green. (Nothing flashy about their nightmare green set.) 

r440r2O.png

When they piece the uniform together as intended below, it looks great for the most part. The extent of their mixing and matching should be to find their best kelly sets, their best nightmare sets, their best yellow sets, etc. and roll with it. 

9re8Bmh.png

THIS!!!

35 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

The yellow helmets need to be able to be worn with the apple green jerseys since yellow/apple green/yellow is their best overall combo and is their “traditional” look, so nightmare green wings and face masks really wouldn’t work there. Same thing as if they made the wings on the yellow helmets apple green, then the yellow helmets couldn’t be worn with the nightmare green. That’s why I think the silver wings were the best choice because they’re a neutral color and still allow the yellow helmets to be worn with either shade of green, as well as both white jerseys.  I do think adding a small touch of silver to both green jerseys (perhaps as a number outline and/or the swoosh) would be a good way to better tie in the yellow helmets, though. As for the example of the yellow/white/yellow combo that they wore last year, I actually thought that was maybe the best combo they wore last year, or at least right up there with the yellow/nightmare/yellow. The yellow helmets had apple green decals with that combo, and personally I think that’s all that was needed to tie the look together. A yellow outline around the numbers would make that specific combo a bit more cohesive, but I don’t think that’s really a necessity with this current set. Moving forward I would like them to take their current set and just expand upon what they already have. Frankly I don’t think I’d change any of their helmets, or at least not the yellow, apple green, or nightmare green helmets. I would be in favor of adding a wing pattern back to the shoulders of all of the jerseys, preferably in a tonal application like on the 2015 RB jerseys (and I’d be fine with silver wings on one or both of the white jerseys). I’d add contrasting number outlines as well. Silver outlines on the numbers of both green jerseys as well as the numbers of the yellow jerseys, and yellow outlines on the numbers of both white jerseys (or at least the one with apple green accents - I’d be okay with silver number outlines on the one with the dark green accents and iridescent numbers). I really think that’s all that’s needed to make the perfect Oregon set, taking inspiration from what they have now as well as their most successful looks from the Mariota era. 

• Like 2

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

North Carolina Tar Heels Unveil 1990s Throwback Uniform

November 14, 2020 - 01:52 AM

The North Carolina football program will wear 1990s throwback uniforms during Saturday’s game against Wake Forest (12 p.m. on ACC Network). The uniforms, which are a nod to head coach Mack Brown’s first stint with the Tar Heels, include a Carolina blue jersey with a traditional striping pattern on the

Read More...

• Like 1

Michigan State Spartans To Wear Block “S” Helmet In Honor Of George Perles

November 14, 2020 - 02:56 AM

The Michigan State football program will wear a Block “S” on one side of its helmets during Saturday’s game against Indiana (12 p.m. on ABC) in honor of former head coach George Perles, who passed away in January at age 85. Perles, who played offensive and defensive tackle for the

Read More...

22 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

The Apple Cup has been “presented by Boeing”... but since it’s the state’s largest employer it doesn’t really grind anyone’s gears. Maybe it should, though, Boeing has been fleecing taxpayers through threats to move jobs away for decades now.

How dare you question that corporation's loyalty to their community, they've been sponsoring the local sports match for years!

Arizona is wearing white with red facemasks/navy/white against USC.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)