College Football 2020

Kevin W.

14 minutes ago, tron1013 said:

UVa4.jpg

It's interesting that they specifically point out all of the colors utilized for shading in these logos, it's very LA Rams-esque in the case. I wonder if they'll really use those in any other places?

spacer.png

On 4/21/2020 at 10:13 PM, aawagner011 said:

This isn’t news for 2020, but I just noticed details on a uniform from a decade ago that I had never seen before and thought I should share.

spacer.png

Did anyone know that they featured a rubberized stripe pattern on the shoulder? How did this escape me for this long?

spacer.png

Thank God they got rid of those uniforms because those were the absolute low point of Cal football.  The only good things were the colors and number font.  They look fantastic now.

Yea... I don’t like that Virginia set. Unnecessary bevels, unnecessary colors, even the logo on the left itself seems unnecessary. They have such a clean looking brand, if they want a cavalier logo, just add a classy looking one with navy, orange, white, and maybe a little silver shading. This looks like they’re trying way too hard with the pose and darker pallete

• Like 6

The beveling is bad, and the additional colors are weird choices. 

The logo on the left is trying to evoke this building (admissions building, I think. but rather iconic)

University of Virginia moves to online classes amid COVID-19 ...

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:52 AM, MJWalker45 said:

That type is... rough. It looks like the brief said, “We want a new wordmark that’s clean, sharp, and looks toward the future, but it’s very important that you only use a compass and ruler to create it.” This needs major optical corrections before it looks polished.

Also a great example of what happens when your verticals and horizontals are the same thickness; the verticals look thinner than the horizontals in some cases.

• Like 4

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

These Virginia logos and the Rams gradient seem to indicate that this may be a new trend going forward (or perhaps it's ongoing and I'm catching up). By adding shades they can create more detailed graphics without going outside the color palette or adding black lines; adding depth without making the image 3D. It goes against the idea that simpler is better, especially in sports, but I'd be surprised if we didn't see a lot more teams doing similar things to their logo packages.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Ummm...

spacer.png

That's what I was thinking too! Va. Tech is a little slimmer, or taller, but they do share similarities. I think that's why Nike made the Virgina lettering a little wider.

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

50 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Do these changes mean that new uniforms are on the way for Virginia? IIRC, they changed not too long ago and I think they look fantastic as is. It would be a shame to change them.

New uniforms are on the way for all sports, which kinda sucks for football, as I thought they looked great the past two years. Hopefully they keep the same essential look.

The Nikespeak on pretty much all these new marks is pretty nauseating. They mention "fierce" seemingly 89 times, and the font was based on circles and lines found on the Rotunda blueprints...because circles and lines are never found anywhere else. And there's some other nauseating lines...but MOD EDIT.  

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

Yea... I don’t like that Virginia set. Unnecessary bevels, unnecessary colors, even the logo on the left itself seems unnecessary. They have such a clean looking brand, if they want a cavalier logo, just add a classy looking one with navy, orange, white, and maybe a little silver shading. This looks like they’re trying way too hard with the pose and darker pallete

I have not seen a SINGLE positive thing about it on Twitter 😂 Has there ever been an example of a college team rolling back a rebrand? I know there’s a couple pro examples, but budget wise ya gotta think it’s just far less likely for college level 

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

While the actual weight of the numbers seems fine, the added lines make the numbers look kind of fat, for lack of a better word. For example, I see the top of the 9 as a beer belly hanging out. Maybe inflated would be a better term.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.