College Football 2020

Kevin W.

22 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

They've used the eagle as a mascot for years, even before the current logo. Other than the lightning bolts, what's a better way to show a flash?

Kent State Golden Flashes Logo | evolution history and meaning

Kent State Football on Twitter: "Our way of life. #BeTheAlpha #FlashFAST  #NewProfilePic… "

This should never be a helmet logo though. 

Modernizing that 90's eagle+bolt would be much better than the current Flash that does nothing for me. It's not really aesthetically pleasing, nor intimidating, nor fun even; just kinda awkward and confusing.

If it were up to me they'd center their identity on the Black Squirrel though.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 3:04 AM, BVZ said:

Makes life hell for the equipment staff? Having to look at the front or the back of the jersey is hell now? Good grief man, give me a break. They signed up for this.

Someone was on here last week complaining about having to re-paint the Notre Dame helmets each week, which used to be a tradition. I guess going the extra mile to make something special just isn’t valued like it once was. Its a damn shame if you ask me. End rant 

With all the alternate uniforms, double-printing certain numbers, and a variety of other things that contribute to large quantities of jerseys, you could have literally hundreds of jerseys hanging on a rack.. having a nice TV number on the sleeve or shoulder makes finding the exact number much quicker than having to reach in and either space two jerseys apart enough to see the numbers or pull one out to see the number.. with no TV numbers it's guess work.. and the amount of extra random times people request jerseys is pretty staggering - from recruiting, to photo shoots, to public appearances and interviews, to events and displays, and obviously game day setup.. not to mention putting everything back away doubles all that work - which is essentially guesswork.. may sound lazy or silly to you, but when it's a huge portion of your daily routine, it adds up quickly.. it's like getting a deck of cards that's in a certain order, and trying to "pick" a specific card.. you can probably get within 3 or 4 of the right one, but very rarely will you be able to just snag the 8 of clubs on the first try.. and that's only 52 cards.. they deal with about twice that many per set..  also, it's not what they "signed up for", especially if they "signed up" at a place that had TV numbers when they signed up, then got rid of them.. taking pride in doing a great job and going the extra mile to make certain things special is great - and it's much easier to do if you're not being slowed down throughout the other parts of your job.. and that job is pretty extensive.. there's a lot that equipment managers deal with behind the scenes that nobody knows about or thinks about.. pretty much anything that can be called "equipment" often gets dumped on their plate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Modernizing that 90's eagle+bolt would be much better than the current Flash that does nothing for me. It's not really aesthetically pleasing, nor intimidating, nor fun even; just kinda awkward and confusing.

If they hadn't been using the eagle for so long I think it'd be a good place to start.

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If they hadn't been using the eagle for so long I think it'd be a good place to start.

It's not like they don't have a history of changing their mascot. Unfortunately, they settled on the most boring and generic one for the past 35 years. I'm all for using the black squirrel as their mascot, or even going back to using a golden retriever.

spacer.png

• Like 2

spacer.png

Fiesta Bowl Unveils 50th Game Commemorative Logo

November 20, 2020 - 16:32 PM

The Fiesta Bowl will celebrate its 50th game this January with a commemorative logo, which was unveiled earlier this month. “When fans think about the Fiesta Bowl, they know that some of college football’s most memorable moments happened here in Arizona and in every decade of our 50-year existence,” Fiesta

Read More...

23 hours ago, upperV03 said:

And now here are the still shots of the Ducks’ new alternate uniform:

In addition to the patterned wings, the helmets have a patterned center stripe and a subtle sparkle finish. The jerseys have the same number font as the regular set, but with a different perforation pattern. Also notable is that this is a slightly different version of the Vapor Fusion template, with horizontal seams on the shoulders instead of the ‘V’ shaped seams. 

I honestly don't hate this as a one-off idea. It's a bit crazy as a regular uniform, but I love the attention to detail with patterns, meanings, etc., without getting too extreme and abstract.

23 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.12.08 AM.png

Idaho has a new uniform. I'm not a fan of the yellow gold vs old gold, but it's not a bad look. 

https://www.uniswag.com/blog/New Uniform for Idaho Football

Ok this is actually much better looking than I originally thought it would be. Yellow/black/silver is definitely a rare color combo and I love the look they made with it. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

A couple additional looks at Florida:

Much improved. I never liked the tapered stripe for the Gators. However, I feel like whenever they wear white lids, they should use the “F” logo (on both sides).

spacer.png

That’s more in line with what they’ve done in the past.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now if only they would update the stripes on their orange jerseys and pants. Previously, the orange jersey was the only item in their set (besides the helmet) which had nonmatching stripes. See how the orange helmet and pants match but the jersey uses a different pattern.

spacer.png

Instead of fixing the jersey to match everything else, the Gators inexplicably adjusted the pants stripes which no longer match the helmet. Now they have two nonmatching items in the wardrobe. Hopefully the white helmet change is a sign of things to come.

spacer.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jdukie said:

Not bad compared to the current version,  but this logo sure went down hill fast after their sponsorship with Tostitos ended.

Wait until they try to wedge Playstation in there somewhere. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 11/18/2020 at 1:47 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

And get rid of the damn bird logo! Your team name is not a bird.

What would you suggest? We’ve had a golden retriever, a caveman (the creator of B.C. Went to Kent), a golden palomino, Captain Flasher (a kid wearing a cape and Mercury helmet), and the Flasher (weirdo with a blue body suit and carried bolts. The students selected the golden eagle as our mascot in the 80’s and Flash is our beloved mascot in live and mascot forms. 

9 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

While I love the black squirrels, they wouldn’t be any better. You’d still have to shoehorn in speed. The squirrels are Canadians anyway. Lol 

17 minutes ago, walkerws said:

What would you suggest? We’ve had a golden retriever, a caveman (the creator of B.C. Went to Kent), a golden palomino, Captain Flasher (a kid wearing a cape and Mercury helmet), and the Flasher (weirdo with a blue body suit and carried bolts. The students selected the golden eagle as our mascot in the 80’s and Flash is our beloved mascot in live and mascot forms. 

Flashes-GettyImages-1055758410.jpg?ve=1&

this was the best concept Kent State had, it just needed to be executed a little better.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GFB said:

Flashes-GettyImages-1055758410.jpg?ve=1&

this was the best concept Kent State had, it just needed to be executed a little better.

I rhink thats too bland on its own. Its a nice addition to the wordmark. Its not strong enough on its own. Maybe if it was done like the Birmingham Bolts style. Maybe even as just a center stripe. Thats where the mascot ends up being better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, walkerws said:

I rhink thats too bland on its own. Its a nice addition to the wordmark. Its not strong enough on its own. Maybe if it was done like the Birmingham Bolts style. Maybe even as just a center stripe. Thats where the mascot ends up being better. 

I’m not disagreeing with you that this variation is somewhat boring, but if we take a step back and ask “what’s the best concept to build a Golden Flash uniform around?” then I think something in the vein of the Birmingham Bolts + 2020 navy blue Chargers uniforms is much more interesting than a golden eagle or any other random mascot.

4SHaL0Dy_0_0.png?itok=Sev3c_ol

2 hours ago, walkerws said:

how about the Flasher but he has a blue trench coat and he conceals his bolt in it

• Like 1

I think it would have been much better without the football in the background. But yeah, the Tostitos logos were far and away the best it ever got for the Fiesta Bowl, and it’s not that close. It was the perfect sponsor-bowl partnership, too.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png