Washington Redskins Rebrand

Faxion

spacer.png

There is no room for the 'Redskins' to be an acceptable team name in the present day. This coming from a life long Skins fan, it pains me that the name garners so much controversy.

But looking at the issue objectively, it is only the name itself that is the problem not the Native American idea the team adopted in 1932.

The whole reason I chose to follow the team at all as a kid from the UK, was because of the imagery, colours and of course they were the sworn rivals to "AMERICA'S TEAM"!

This rebrand is an attempt to answer the issue, by ditching the name but keeping the history and ethos of the team.

There is a-lot of brand equity in the original logo, but certain details always bothered me. The head inside the circle, with yet another pair of feathers crudely tagged on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

First off, I love the change to the Americans. It’s respectful and clever without pandering.

I think you’re on the right track here but the logo needs some refinement. I would enlarge the feathers and curve the yellow tips at the bottom. The straight lines and angles are really harsh and clash with the rest of the feather and logo overall. 

The curve at the bottom of the logo is awkward. Maybe define the chin more and bring that line straight back, more or less.

The black detail on the cheek touching the point of the highlight on the nose is awkward. I might reduce the size of the black detail and give it a little more shape on the mouth side if that makes sense. 

Lastly, I think you need to add some white highlights to the hair to give the logo some depth/shape. The hair is a lot of black space that feels very flat.

You have a good start here. I’m looking forward to seeing this project evolve.

While "Americans" sounds like a great alternative name for the Washington Redskins, I think these would be even better names:

• Natives
  • Redhawks
  • Redtails
  • Bravehearts
  • Braves (the original name for this team back when they played in Boston)
  • Warriors (IIRC, Dan Snyder trademarked the "Washington Warriors" name years ago)
  • Potomacs (named for the Patawomeck tribe that historically inhabited the region along their namesake river's watershed)
  • Washington F.C.

Nonetheless, excellent work with the redesign of Washington's Native American head logo.

YOZXkBG.png?1

My 2nd name choice was 'Potomacs' - which is more specific to the area. This gives the organisation an opportunity to work with the local tribes, taking the Florida Seminoles business model, forging genuine and lasting relationships with the community.

'Americans' is all encompassing - including all native Americans as a whole. Also...I like the idea of sticking it to the Cowboys!

I would like to hear why using this theme is disrespectful to the indigenous people. This design is a stylised illustration, not a cartoon like Cleveland Indians.

Brilliant name change to Americans, really doing a 180 on the whole thing. I think working with tribes would make sure that it's ok, and this keeps the iconic color scheme and historic feel without any of the racism!

the user formerly known as cdclt

Guest darkpiranha

Love love love the pivot to Americans.  The logo still needs some work, but I like the direction.  I think if you just take the simplification of the logo (and taking it out of the roundel) and have the feathers mimic the size and sweep of the old logo that it would be really dynamic.  Let them curve below and suggest the 'circle'

Great concept, and you’re 90% there, IMO. I love the WA in the feathers.  Subtle, but once you see it you can’t unsee it, and that’s a good thing.  A few tweaks like the suggestions above (particularly white in the hair for depth, and maybe the length of the feathers) could make it quite perfect!

spacer.png

Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated.

Here is an updated version taking on board all your comments.

Feathers increased in size and reshaped to loose sharp edges. Modified nose, mouth and chin. Addressed the neck - reshaped now as a bust. I am not sold on the highlight to hair, this is a tricky one to get right.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 1/18/2020 at 9:41 AM, JH42XCC said:
  • Braves (the original name for this team back when they played in Boston)

If Washington changed back to this I think half the crap they get for naming issues might drop off. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

While I appreciate the effort put into this (it's pretty good actually, kinda reminds me of Frasier Davidson's 'skins logo), I just want to remind everyone here about the team name controversy rule

On 9/1/2015 at 10:02 AM, LMU said:

4. No Discussion of Native American Team Name Controversies

This topic, like various political topics, often devolves into name calling, straw man construction, and other assorted "tactics" not suitable in intelligent, mutually respectable debate.

While we haven't gotten into that territory, I want to make sure we avoid it so the OP can continue to get C&C on his concept. 

Guest darkpiranha

Nice nice nice.  I love this and I know it's Washington's traditional helmet color, but I'd also be curious to see how it would look with some other color helmets.  

Archived