• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went with Wisconsin for the Brewers because... oh, wait, I just realized UW-Madison's baseball program was shut down in 1991. So UW-Milwaukee would actually make sense for the Brew Crew. Also, I was thinking Villanova would be a better choice for the Phillies over UPenn or Temple (the latter disbanded their baseball program in 2014). As for the St. Louis Cardinals, I'm starting to think either SEMO or SIU Edwardsville might be excellent options.

YOZXkBG.png?1

5 hours ago, JH42XCC said:

Also, I was thinking Villanova would be a better choice for the Phillies over UPenn or Temple (the latter disbanded their baseball program in 2014).

Temple has that beautiful cherry and white that would look great on the phillies. Sure, they don't have a varsity baseball team, but I personally played against their club baseball team recently, and their colors do look nice. Not sure if Villanova would look as good, but it would be worth a look. Also St. Joes is Maroon and grey. That could look good too?

I may be biased, but I do think Penn is the best move.

tinysig.jpg

On 2/25/2020 at 10:16 AM, RedKub said:

Do I see a tint of purple in that D-Backs red? Maybe it's I'm just seeing what I want to as someone who likes them in purple, but I think a purplish-red/reddish-purple is a very classy way to blend eras. 

Yes, ASU's colors are burgundy and athletic gold. I suppose the shade resembling a combination of the D-Backs' original purple and contemporary Sedona red would be a clever way to pay tribute to both eras! 

On 2/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, JH42XCC said:

Here's what I would like to see for the remainder of this series:

• Baltimore Orioles = Maryland Terrapins
  • Boston Red Sox = Harvard Crimson or Boston College Eagles
  • Chicago Cubs = Illinois Fighting Illini
  • Chicago White Sox = Northwestern Wildcats
  • Cincinnati Reds = UNDECIDED
  • Houston Astros = Texas A&M Aggies
  • Kansas City Royals = Kansas Jayhawks or Kansas State Wildcats
  • Los Angeles Dodgers = UCLA Bruins
  • Milwaukee Brewers = Wisconsin Badgers
  • Minnesota Twins = Minnesota Golden Gophers
  • New York Mets = St. John's Red Storm
  • New York Yankees = Fordham Rams
  • Oakland A's = California Golden Bears
  • Philadelphia Phillies = Penn State Nittany Lions
  • Pittsburgh Pirates = Pittsburgh Panthers
  • St. Louis Cardinals = UNDECIDED
  • San Diego Padres = San Diego State Aztecs
  • San Francisco Giants = Stanford Cardinal
  • Toronto Blue Jays = UNDECIDED

On 2/24/2020 at 11:53 PM, woody86 said:

Cincy=cincinatti bearcats 

cardinals=mizzou tigers 

blue jays=varsity blues 

and imho:

brewers=Marquette 

phillies=upenn

yankees=Columbia 

otherrwise agreed :)

On 2/25/2020 at 10:06 AM, Jake3.roo said:

Yeah, Phillies should be Penn or Temple (Temple has better colors, I'll admit).

I don't know about San Fransisco. I don't think Stanford's colors would suit them well. I wonder if Berkeley is a stretch? Unless they become Oakland...

Also I think the Yankees would look great in Columbia blue, but I also might enjoy NYU Purple.

Thanks! While I appreciate the enthusiasm, my plan was never to do the entire league. As mentioned in my initial post, the original idea for this series was to take MLB teams who could use a refresh and look to local college teams for ideas. (The only real outlier to that was Clemson for the Tigers, since Detroit already has a perfect look.) And most of the ideas suggested above would honestly be downgrades from their MLB equivalent's actual looks (such as the Giants in red and white). I suppose if I get really bored/inspired down the road I might decide to do the rest of the league, but I won't make any promises. 

I WILL reveal that I do have four more teams prepared. However, only one of those three uses the suggested college team for inspiration... 

Let's wrap up the week with one of those teams, the Minnesota Twins!

TWINS HOME:

Twins-Home.png

TWINS ROAD:

Twins-Road-w-script.png

TWINS HOME ALT:

Twins-Home-Alt.png

TWINS HOME/ROAD ALT:

Twins-Road-Alt.png

My inspiration for this design came from the Mavericks of Minnesota State University. While several of you suggested I use the University of Minnesota Twin Cities Golden Gophers for the Twins, I wanted to go a different route given how similar the Gophers’ colors are to the Sun Devils. On top of that, maroon and gold just don’t feel very “Minnesota” in my opinion. In using the Mavericks, I like that the purple and athletic gold create some visual cohesion with the Minnesota Vikings, even if they aren't the exact same shades. I also brought back the Twins’ pullover era sleeve and pants trim. Big thanks to @MJD7 for the consult with this design. C&C appreciated! 

Could also be the colors for Northwestern-St. Paul 😉

These look great tho! I mean it’s hard not to think of Maroon and Gold when thinking of Minnesota, but I do like the visual similarity to the Vikings. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 2/28/2020 at 5:39 PM, chcarlson23 said:

Could also be the colors for Northwestern-St. Paul 😉

These look great tho! I mean it’s hard not to think of Maroon and Gold when thinking of Minnesota, but I do like the visual similarity to the Vikings. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Up next, viva Les Expos!

EXPOS HOME:

Expos-Home.png

EXPOS ROAD:

Expos-Road.png

EXPOS ALT 1:

Expos-Home-Alt.png

EXPOS ALT 2:

Expos-Road-Alt.png

This is the "bonus" team mentioned in my previous post. With all this recent talk of MLB expansion and the Rays possibly splitting time between Tampa and Montreal, I decided to take a stab at the Expos. The blue and black color scheme comes from l‘Universite de Montreal Baseball club. Rather than just putting the Expos back in pinstripes, I opted for a clean white home uniform with triple headspoon, sleeve and pants piping, similar to the university team's uniforms. The away set gets a powder blue tint as a nod to the Expos' early road uniforms. This one is pretty straightforward. C&C appreciated! 

On 3/2/2020 at 12:53 PM, Victormrey said:

Good to see the Expos back! I'd say the blue/black combo looks very québecquois, and therefore, it fits them perfectly 💯 Keep up the good work, mate!

Thanks!

Let's wrap up another week with a late addition to the series, the Philadelphia Phillies! 

PHILLIES HOME:

Phillies-Home.png

PHILLIES ROAD:

Phillies-Road.png

PHILLIES ALT:

Phillies-Alt.png

With the Nats switching to slate blue and buff in my alternate MLB, I felt comfortable keeping the Phils in red, so I chose the cherry shade used by the Owls of Temple University, as suggested by @Jake3.roo. I moved away from the "bubble" scripts and numbers that so many people seem to hate in favor of the more traditional Old English "P" used by Philly in the '20s and '30s (Why should Detroit be the only team that uses an Old English style logo?). C&C appreciated as always! 

We're down to the final two teams, so let's begin the week with the Milwaukee Brewers!

BREWERS HOME:

Brewers-Home.png

BREWERS ROAD:

Brewers-Road.png

BREWERS HOME ALT:

Brewers-Home-Alt.png

BREWERS ROAD ALT:

Brewers-Alt.png

While I overall loved the Brewers’ latest redesign, it could’ve been better. Here I’ve used the colors and designs from Marquette University High School’s Hilltoppers. This is a high school team affiliated with Milwaukee’s Marquette University, and whose blue is more midnight than navy and gold a bit deeper and richer than the Brewers’ yellow. It also boggles my mind that the Brewers of all teams didn’t use their redesign as an opportunity to hop back on the powder blue road bandwagon (as they were one of the teams who did it best the first time around) so I’ve rectified that mistake here. Hopefully @NicDB approves of this design. C&C appreciated! 

One more team left! 

My only critiques are for the home uni. The clashing piping doesn't look that good and I don't think the gold script and numbers has enough contrast with the base of the uniform to be legible on moving players.

That said, I LOVE the combination of the modern numbers with the early 90s scripts. Your use of the block M is clever too, since MU used to use a very similar logo.

Well done, sir!

10 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

That Phillies set is gorgeous! 

Thanks!

13 hours ago, NicDB said:

My only critiques are for the home uni. The clashing piping doesn't look that good and I don't think the gold script and numbers has enough contrast with the base of the uniform to be legible on moving players.

That said, I LOVE the combination of the modern numbers with the early 90s scripts. Your use of the block M is clever too, since MU used to use a very similar logo.

Well done, sir!

Thank you! And I see what you mean about the home set, so I've made a few tweaks. The headspoon piping is now blue to match the pants, and I've gone with a plain white base instead of cream for the uniform which I think helps the yellow scripts and numbers pop better.

Brewers-Home-white.png

Let me know if this is an improvement! 

I would say that's an improvement given what you're going for in this series. I still don't think the yellow scripts and numbers contrast well with a white base either. But given that cream isn't a Marquette color, it might be best to stick with white. 

We wrap up the series today with the Chicago White Sox.

WHITE SOX HOME:

White-Sox-Home.png

WHITE SOX ROAD:

White-Sox-Road.png

WHITE HOME ALT:

White-Sox-Home-Alt-batterman-w-outline.p

WHITE SOX HOME/ROAD ALT:

White-Sox-Road-Alt-batterman-w-outline.p

I figured it was appropriate to close out this series with my own team, the Chicago White Sox. The Sox have now worn black, silver and white for nearly my entire life, and I will die on the hill that says they need never mess with their colors again. That being said, I admit that the Sox look great in black and red, and once I learned that a few seasons back the Huskies of North Illinois University introduced uniforms that are literally modeled after the ‘80s batterman era Sox, I knew I had found my college team inspiration. The cap logo is an outlined version of the '80s batterman, while the home set features the new "White Sox" script first used around the ballpark and on promotional material last season (and on the team's 2019 Players' Weekend jerseys). Everything else should be pretty self-explanatory. 

Thanks everyone who followed along and offered feedback. Stay healthy and safe! 

So, I decided to do throwback designs for a few teams using their new college colors. I'll post them in two parts. Let me know what you think!

ANGELS THROWBACK:

Angels-Throwback.png

RANGERS THROWBACK:

Rangers-Throwback.png

MARLINS THROWBACK:

Marlins-Throwback.png

MARINERS THROWBACK:

Mariners-Throwback.png

INDIANS THROWBACK:

Indians-Throwback.png

BRAVES THROWBACK:

Braves-Throwback.png

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

ROCKIES THROWBACK:

I have an idea? Turn ahead the clock jerseys?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 3/6/2020 at 1:26 PM, coco1997 said:

Thanks!

Let's wrap up another week with a late addition to the series, the Philadelphia Phillies! 

PHILLIES HOME:

Phillies-Home.png

PHILLIES ROAD:

Phillies-Road.png

PHILLIES ALT:

Phillies-Alt.png

With the Nats switching to slate blue and buff in my alternate MLB, I felt comfortable keeping the Phils in red, so I chose the cherry shade used by the Owls of Temple University, as suggested by @Jake3.roo. I moved away from the "bubble" scripts and numbers that so many people seem to hate in favor of the more traditional Old English "P" used by Philly in the '20s and '30s (Why should Detroit be the only team that uses an Old English style logo?). C&C appreciated as always! 

Oh man!! That old English “P” is excellent! Love the way it fits the cream uni so well!

Archived