Hey everyone,

A while back I started a discussion in the General Sports Logos forum on which MLB teams could most use redesigns and new color schemes. It sparked the idea that a few teams with older/outdated designs could look to local college baseball teams for design inspiration. For this mini series, I'll be focusing on a small group of teams, maybe four or five. Let's start today with the Angels!

ANGELS HOME:

Angels-Home.png

ANGELS ROAD:

Angels-Road.png

ANGELS HOME ALT:

Angels-Home-Alt.png

ANGELS HOME/ROAD ALT:

Angels-Road-Alt.png

For the Angels, I've used the Trojans of the University of Southern California as inspiration. The Halos adopt a deep crimson red and athletic gold scheme, a color combo I've long felt would work well for them. The cursive "Angels" script is a tweak of the original Lakers script from the early '60s. No unnecessary outlines or drop shadows. Just keep it simple. I've also brought back the early "CA" monogram.

C&C appreciated! The Rangers are next. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, jgamarra2511 said:

For the Angels, I would’ve done more of actual local universities around the Anaheim area, such as Cal State Fullerton Titans, Cal State Long Beach 49ers, or UC Irvine Anteaters, to avoid any relation with LA. 

Thanks for the feedback. While I get where you're coming from, none of the other Anaheim area college teams had color schemes that I felt would fit the Angels. 

6 hours ago, Jake3.roo said:

If the script and number on the back have outlines, I think the number on the front should too.

28 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

I'm looking forward to this series, I think you've had an unique idea!

As for the Angels, I love the set, but I agree with @Jake3.roo: adding borders to the front numbers would be a good idea

Thanks! That's an easy fix:

Angels-Home-w-outlined-front-numbers.png

Angels-Road-w-outlined-front-numbers.png

Angels-Home-Alt-w-outlined-front-numbers

Angels-Road-Alt-w-outlined-front-numbers

Let's move onto the next team, the Texas Rangers!

RANGERS HOME:

Rangers-Home.png

RANGERS ROAD:

Rangers-Road.png

RANGERS ALT:

Rangers-Alt.png

This one was fairly obvious. The University of Texas Longhorns have one of the most recognizable identities in all of college sports. With this redesign, there’s no longer a question of whether the Rangers are a “red” team or a “blue team”—they’re a burnt orange team. This in turn means they get just one solid colored alternate. The home uniform is off-white and pinstriped while the road set is a dusty brownish gray to help evoke that Old West feel. I’ve also realized that I actually like the new "Rangers" script when it’s stripped down to just the script itself with no extraneous strokes or drop shadows. C&C appreciated!

I like this idea! For Texas, the color alt literally looks as if it could belong to the university's team....is that the effect you're going for? It can tricky to try to thread te needle of regional belongedness while maintaining a unique identity. For the angels, it'd be nice to see them in colors from Orange County, just to see. While the moniker is Los Angeles, many Angelinos and many from the OC might take issue with USC being combined with the Angels. The cultures and fanbases are indeed different. For the Rangers, I wonder if incorporating an extra logo in their set might help, like the Texas flag on the sleeve, for example. Great work, and I look forward to seeing more! 

1 hour ago, buckeye said:

Great work so far!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, woody86 said:

I like this idea! For Texas, the color alt literally looks as if it could belong to the university's team....is that the effect you're going for? It can tricky to try to thread te needle of regional belongedness while maintaining a unique identity. For the angels, it'd be nice to see them in colors from Orange County, just to see. While the moniker is Los Angeles, many Angelinos and many from the OC might take issue with USC being combined with the Angels. The cultures and fanbases are indeed different. For the Rangers, I wonder if incorporating an extra logo in their set might help, like the Texas flag on the sleeve, for example. Great work, and I look forward to seeing more! 

Thanks for the feedback. Once this series is finished, I'll go back to the Angels and try them in a different color scheme. 

As for the Rangers, you make a good point about the need for another logo. I did think about slapping the Texas flag on the sleeves, but seeing as I've moved away from the red, white and blue color scheme, I figured the flag would stick out like a sore thumb, and simply recoloring it in burnt orange and dusty brown would look odd. Thankfully, I think I found a decent solution in the form of this great alternate logo from '77-82. Let me know what you think!

Rangers-Home.png

Rangers-Road.png

Rangers-Alt.png

On 1/23/2020 at 5:05 PM, woody86 said:

cool find! Yes the logo on the sleeve does add to it. 

21 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

The Angels’ uniforms are beautiful. 

Thanks!

Let's start the new week with a new team, the Miami Marlins!

MARLINS HOME:

Marlins-Home-Main.png

MARLINS ROAD:

Marlins-Road.png

MARLINS HOME ALT:

Marlins-Home-Alt.png

MARLINS HOME/ROAD ALT:

Marlins-Road-Alt.png

In another thread I stated that the University of Miami Hurricanes have a better look than the current Miami Marlins, and I stand by that. Black, ocean blue and light red are replaced here with the Hurricanes’ hunter green and orange. While it seems the ‘Canes have about a million different uniform and cap combination, I tried to keep things simple: two caps (one of which is a special pinwheel style design to be worn at home only), one home alt and a home/road alt. I was tempted to bring back the Marlins’ teal and black era scripts and logos but ultimately opted to keep their current ones to demonstrate how much potential they have with a better color scheme. Of course, I’m obviously not the first designer on this forum to make that case. Anyway, C&C appreciated! 

Ironically, many college teams lifted their looks from old MLB designs.  The 90s-style "Trojans" wordmark for USC immediatley comes to mind.

Heck, there was a period when UWM wore the Brewers germanic MILWAUKEE script, but with black replacing navy blue.  I always thought the Panthers should have salvaged it and built the entire athletic program around it. 

On 1/27/2020 at 3:14 PM, woody86 said:

Pretty good! If you can find a way with your chosen palette to make both the M and the marlin show up, that would be great, and you'd be outdoing the big club. Keep it up! 

Thanks! I assume when you say "make both the M and marlin show up," you mean have the fish contrast against the green background? It's tough because I'm only working with two colors (not counting white) as opposed to three. I can try to play around with it to make it work, though. 

And to your point about college teams mimicking regional MLB teams, @NicDB, I noticed that too in my research. 

Let's move on to the Rays!

RAYS HOME:

Rays-Home.png

RAYS ROAD:

Rays-Road.png

RAYS HOME ALT:

Rays-Home-Alt.png

RAYS ROAD ALT:

Rays-Road-Alt.png

So I admit I kind of twisted the rules with this one. While the garnet red is the same shade used by the Florida State Seminoles, I chose to pair it with dreamsicle orange (formerly worn by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers) in lieu of the Seminoles’ gold. I also brought back the late ‘90s ”Rays” batting practice logo to achieve something similar to the angled scripts of the Seminoles’ uniforms. I realize this would be radically different than anything the Rays have ever worn, but that’s what I like most about it. If anyone really wants to see this set with Seminoles gold I’d be happy to whip that up. C&C appreciated!  

P.S. I know I initially said this series would end up being 4-5 teams, but now it's shaping up to be more like 7-8. Hope that's OK with you guys. ;)

Bring em on! I for one am enjoying your creative process. Some easy potential  crossovers:

oakland A's/cal bears 

az diamondbacks/asu sun devils 

mn twins/ min golden gophers 

Seattle mariners/ UW huskies 

Keep up the good work! 

10 minutes ago, woody86 said:

Bring em on! I for one am enjoying your creative process. Some easy potential  crossovers:

oakland A's/cal bears 

az diamondbacks/asu sun devils 

mn twins/ min golden gophers 

Seattle mariners/ UW huskies 

Keep up the good work! 

The Mariners/Huskies will be up next!

Time for the Mariners!

MARINERS HOME:

Mariners-Home.png

MARINERS ROAD:

Mariners-Road.png

MARINERS HOME ALT:

Mariners-Home-Alt.png

MARINERS HOME/ROAD ALT:

Mariners-Road-Alt-w-triple-placket-pipin

Props to @Victormrey for suggesting this idea, which combines the Mariners with the bluish purple/purplish blue and pale gold of the University of Washington Huskies. Now, this isn’t a color scheme I’d necessarily want the Mariners to adopt, but it wound up being an interesting experiment nonetheless, and I suppose it’s not terribly far off from the M’s original royal blue and gold. Also, I’m aware there’s a whole argument against resurrecting the upside down trident, but it’s my favorite Mariners logo so I decided to use it. C&C appreciated! 

Archived