2020-21 International Club Soccer Kits

officeglenn

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/30/2020 at 6:01 AM, Lana_del_Bae said:

Corporate team names are pretty tacky.  Would never happen in Japan or Korea, but would be nice to see there

Japanese teams in J-League actually got pretty neutral names and most of them are founded as a work clubs by corporates like Mitsubishi (Urawa Red Diamonds) or Mazda (Sanfrecce Hiroshima). Same with Korean teams so I'm ok with that. Names after sponsorship or taking ownership in later phase of club existence that's a different case.

4r2eer.png

17 hours ago, QCS said:

I think they're referring to the new rule, which is very unlikely to happen in Korea or Japan.

Sorry, after reading it a second time it looks more likely the case. Was just thinking though there is one "club" that bothers me the most around the world.......RedBull.

New York, Salzburg and Leipzig et all.

5 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Japanese teams in J-League actually got pretty neutral names and most of them are founded as a work clubs by corporates like Mitsubishi (Urawa Red Diamonds) or Mazda (Sanfrecce Hiroshima). Same with Korean teams so I'm ok with that. Names after sponsorship or taking ownership in later phase of club existence that's a different case.

J. League is pretty good about it, but NPB is chock full of corporate names. Stuff like Yomiuri, Nippon-Ham, SoftBank, Seibu, and several more stuff their names into the team's name. Some supplant the geographic name all together!

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 1/3/2021 at 9:54 AM, QCS said:

J. League is pretty good about it, but NPB is chock full of corporate names. Stuff like Yomiuri, Nippon-Ham, SoftBank, Seibu, and several more stuff their names into the team's name. Some supplant the geographic name all together!

Any league whose branding makes it appear that they have a team named the Ham Fighters (I know its really just the Fighters sponsored by Nippon Ham) is doing something right.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:54 AM, QCS said:

Yeah and even though most of them have their geographic name in there too people rarely use it (think the "of Anaheim" part of Los Angeles Angels)

As weird as it is from a Western perspective to see the corporate names there first it would be even weirder as a casual follower of NPB to see Kobe Tigers, Tokyo Giants (yes, I know foreigners love to call them that but still) etc.

12 minutes ago, Lana_del_Bae said:

Yeah and even though most of them have their geographic name in there too people rarely use it (think the "of Anaheim" part of Los Angeles Angels)

As weird as it is from a Western perspective to see the corporate names there first it would be even weirder as a casual follower of NPB to see Kobe Tigers, Tokyo Giants (yes, I know foreigners love to call them that but still) etc.

I know that when the league abbreviates team names, they use the first character of the company's name, with the exception of Hiroshima. For example, the Tokyo Yakult Swallows are abbreviated as「ヤ」("ya") instead of anything from Tokyo. I understand why they do it, but it doesn't make it any less lame.

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 12/29/2020 at 9:01 PM, Lana_del_Bae said:

Corporate team names are pretty tacky.  Would never happen in Japan or Korea, but would be nice to see there

You want to see tacky corporate names? Look at the Philippine Basketball Association.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Old crest for reference:

d56f7c0106ffb674fb4132e0533be99f.jpg

I do like the new crest, assuming they use a version sans bottom text for most applications.  They probably could have wrapped the text around the circle at the sides instead of dumping it to the bottom but if they rarely use that version and let the main design stand on its own then it doesn't matter much I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

oshDX_at?format=jpg&name=small

Info-BRAZALETE-FC_BARCELONA-1024x574.jpg

SD Huesca's captain will be wearing a special armband that is in honor of their opponents, FC Barcelona. Apparently this is something they've been doing for every away game. I was not aware of this. 

https://fanclub.sdhuesca.es/brazaletes-sd-huesca-liga-santander-2020-21/

https://fanclub.sdhuesca.es/brazalete-sd-huesca-vs-fc-barcelona/

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/14/2021 at 4:12 AM, MJWalker45 said:

oshDX_at?format=jpg&name=small

Info-BRAZALETE-FC_BARCELONA-1024x574.jpg

SD Huesca's captain will be wearing a special armband that is in honor of their opponents, FC Barcelona. Apparently this is something they've been doing for every away game. I was not aware of this. 

https://fanclub.sdhuesca.es/brazaletes-sd-huesca-liga-santander-2020-21/

https://fanclub.sdhuesca.es/brazalete-sd-huesca-vs-fc-barcelona/

Love that Gaudiesque design! 😍

• 4 weeks later...

FC Barcelona Put Special Twist on Jersey for Special Match

April 13, 2021 - 00:17 AM

Spanish soccer giants FC Barcelona put a special twist their usual blue-and-red striped primary jerseys for a special match over the weekend. On Saturday, Barça debuted a new jersey for their ‘El Clasico’ match against long-time rival and fellow La Liga powerhouse Real Madrid. The shirt incorporates yellow gradients into

Read More...

Napoli Teams with Designer for Wild One-Off Jerseys

April 17, 2021 - 00:17 AM

Italian soccer club SSC Napoli has teamed up with Italian designer Marcelo Burlon to produce a wild one-off set of jerseys that the club will wear this weekend. Napoli unveiled the jerseys on Thursday and will wear them in their Serie A match against Inter Milan on Sunday. The player

Read More...

On 4/23/2021 at 1:27 AM, Leviathan said:

Spurs just posted this on their twitter account. A throwback to their original cockerel logo. It looks like a patch on an actual shirt so I'm wondering if this will be a new kit for next season?

spacer.png

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/1385477188707885058?s=20

I've seen it on the inside of the home shirt for next year. Since it's 100 years of the cockerel on the shirts they may have a one off shirt as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived