2020-21 International Club Soccer Kits

officeglenn

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I like that Arsenal shirt.  Will be the first one I’ve bought in a decade. 

I’m a little suspicious of this secondary logo:

EXlEpcyXYAUKryg?format=jpg&name=large

I love the idea of it, but that’s not the correct cannon.

Thats the one cut off by the boundaries of the shield.  When the club uses the cannon by itself, it has a longer barrel and brace:

spacer.png

I love love LOVE the idea of superimposing a cannon on a hexagon, reminiscent of the classic Art Deco crest. 

spacer.png

I would be floored, though, If Arsenal let Adidas use the wrong cannon on it.

On 5/9/2020 at 9:56 AM, UnclearInitial said:

Not convinced at all by any of adidas’ work this year. Sideways arrows are an apt metaphor for Arsenal these past few years

I can’t believe I’m saying this about a sponsor of all things, but I miss “Fly Emirates.” “Emirates: Fly Better” looks bad with the two different fonts.

ExJworW.png

3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this about a sponsor of all things, but I miss “Fly Emirates.” “Emirates: Fly Better” looks bad with the two different fonts.

Hmm.  I don't think I agree with you.

"Fly Emirates" always bothered me (going back to the Chelsea days) because it looked less like a slogan and more like the actual name of the company.  This is much clearer to my eye, and if they're going to use a slogan, this is a much better treatment.

5 hours ago, Digby said:

That’s what makes it so much worse though. Adding a slogan too pushes the shirt even further into sponsor-billboard territory than regular soccer shirts.

This still isn't as bad as Atletico Madrid's movie billboard kits in the early 2000's. I want to say that other companies have done this with soccer kits but those examples escape me. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Hmm.  I don't think I agree with you.

"Fly Emirates" always bothered me (going back to the Chelsea days) because it looked less like a slogan and more like the actual name of the company.  This is much clearer to my eye, and if they're going to use a slogan, this is a much better treatment.

I think what bugs me is the reverse of the advert. Fly Emirates looked better to me because it was a small word over a big word. Now it’s a big word over two small words and it doesn’t look quite right.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

But it already was a slogan.

But as you said, it looked more like the name of the company -- using the same typeface and a simple word nearly interchangeable with "Air" ... the new look, with more letters set in a different typeface, taking up more space overall, is more intrusive to the shirt design.

12 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

This still isn't as bad as Atletico Madrid's movie billboard kits in the early 2000's. I want to say that other companies have done this with soccer kits but those examples escape me. 

Seattle was briefly doing it with Xbox games too. Egregiously ugly in any case. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

25 minutes ago, Digby said:

But as you said, it looked more like the name of the company -- using the same typeface and a simple word nearly interchangeable with "Air" ... the new look, with more letters set in a different typeface, taking up more space overall, is more intrusive to the shirt design.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.  This slogan just looks better to my eye.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:34 PM, Gothamite said:

That looks like a great Arsenal away kit.

EUyIuABXYAE1xDW?format=jpg&name=large

In all fairness, a majority of the big London PL clubs have sported a yellow and blue kit and multiple times as well. The only one I can think of that hasn’t are my hammers, so even though it is gooner-esque, it’s not out of the blue... or yellow I guess. 

Archived