100 years of the NFL? Really?

CrimsonBull9584

4 minutes ago, dont care said:

And play where? Play in college stadiums that don’t allow/have the means to serve alcohol. In stadiums that can’t hold nearly as much. Have prices set so high because of the spectacle of it it prices out local fans that it’s suppose to be for? Not saying you aren’t coming from the place but the logistics of the thing would be a nightmare and not worth it for a preseason game much less ever.

This part.

43 minutes ago, NicDB said:

If the NFL weren't so greedy...

The NFL could easily eat those costs if they wanted to, chalking it up to advertising and PR, and essentially making it a goodwill tour.

Even if the NFL couldn't stomach the idea of playing a preseason game in beautiful, picturesque Hammond, why not fix up some of the old sites the way they did in Canton and turn them into museums paying tribute to the NFL's history in the area?  Especially when they could do so at a much lower capacity than Canton. 

Either way, for such a historical season, the NFL couldn't have seemed more apathetic about it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NicDB said:

This part.

The NFL could easily eat those costs if they wanted to, chalking it up to advertising and PR, and essentially making it a goodwill tour.

Even if the NFL couldn't stomach the idea of playing a preseason game in beautiful, picturesque Hammond, why not fix up some of the old sites the way they did in Canton and turn them into museums paying tribute to the NFL's history in the area?  Especially when they could do so at a much lower capacity than Canton. 

Either way, for such a historical season, the NFL couldn't have seemed more apathetic about it.

But why though, for the less than 100 people a year to go oh wow the nfl played here once and nothing else happened. It’s not a matter of greed, it’s a matter of it not being worth it. The people from those areas don’t care that an NFL team played there over 50 years ago. 

4 minutes ago, NicDB said:

This part.

The Bengals wanted to have a training camp practice in Dayton at Dayton Public School owned Welcome Stadium, adjacent to the UD Arena damn near I-75.

It didn't go well as AJ Green got injured. 

NFL got rid of their tax-exempt status in 2015.  Ain't no charity involved much any more.

7 minutes ago, NicDB said:

This part.

1 minute ago, dont care said:

But why though, for the less than 100 people a year to go oh wow the nfl played here once and nothing else happened. It’s not a matter of greed, it’s a matter of it not being worth it. The people from those areas don’t care that an NFL team played there over 50 years ago. 

Plus, a lot of these small towns were blue-collar factory towns 100 years ago. They aren't anymore and tend to be economically depressed. Thus, the NFL building "museum stadiums" there would quickly become a white elephant that these budget-strapped towns wouldn't be able to pay for.

Not sure why everyone keeps acting like financing the upgrades to small high school and college stadiums where they have some history will make or break the NFL.

Besides, how much does it actually cost to maintain such a facility?  I dare say "we used to have the NFL" is the only thing some of these towns even have.

8 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Not sure why everyone keeps acting like financing the upgrades to small high school and college stadiums where they have some history will make or break the NFL.

Besides, how much does it actually cost to maintain such a facility?  I dare say "we used to have the NFL" is the only thing some of these towns even have.

Because the NFL is in the business of seeking handouts not giving them.

3 minutes ago, NicDB said:

It’s not worth it when you already have canton. No one is going to go to East bum :censored: to look at a stadium that so and so use to play in and maybe a hand full of artifacts if they even exist, when everything can be centrally located in canton. It’s not the NFL’s duty or responsibility to make stadiums for teams that don’t play for them, that’s what public funding, tuition ect is for. They could donate but then that opens the debate of why does Dayton high school that doesn’t have any connection to the NFL other than a team played in that city but dayton public school doesn’t get anything. 

The Hammond Pros played 39 games in their 7-season existence.

One of those games was played in Hammond, Indiana.

They didn't really "have the NFL" in the first place. There isn't any actual "local NFL history in the area" for the vast majority of these "bygone cities" that aren't, well, Canton*. I know it's fun to look at 1920s NFL standings and go "whoa! 1926 Los Angeles Buccaneers!" because it's interesting and quirky. It just doesn't tell you that those teams existed mostly on paper. Sure, the games were played, but the idea of the Los Angeles Buccaneers or Dayton Triangles being a "franchise" wasn't how, I think, some folks in this thread are envisioning. Read some books about the early NFL, they're interesting.

*or Pottsville, because it's one of the exceptions where locals have made an effort to preserve their significant early NFL history.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

9 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Because the NFL is in the business of seeking handouts not giving them.

Considering how long and how flagrantly they've skirted anti-trust laws, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to pay the bills for a lot more than what I just came up with.

22 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Considering how long and how flagrantly they've skirted anti-trust laws, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to pay the bills for a lot more than what I just came up with.

Every town which may/may not have held a game which the NFL held for a new turf IS unreasonable.  And lawsuits regarding turf infill causing lymphoma or other cancers are still ongoing.  Why open yourself or your business up to that on a larger scale?

11 minutes ago, NicDB said:

We're still talking about the same league that's been using tax money to finance every palace they've built for the last 50 years, right?

The public has generally voted for venues via ballot measures.  Arlington (TX) bought the Cowboys as a way not to have true public transportation in the city and when AT&T Stadium bonds were paid off years early, they build another stadium for the Texas Rangers. 

58% of Santa Clara residents voted for Levi's Stadium and there were no direct public funds.  City leaders just made it harder for the team to book the stadium last September. 

Ingelwood is private money, as was the Miami/Hard Rock renovation.  That public money seems to have dried up

The point is, well over 90% of the NFL's stadiums have used public money, regardless of whether or not it went to referendum. Between that and their skirting of anti-trust laws, I don't think its unreasonable that they should foot the bill for every publicly owned football facility in the jurisdictions they got their money from.

I know it'll never happen.... literally NOTHING I've proposed here will ever happen. But it's far from "unreasonable" to take positions that the NFL should give back a lot more than they've done so far.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

The point is, well over 90% of the NFL's stadiums have used public money, regardless of whether or not it went to referendum. Between that and their skirting of anti-trust laws, I don't think its unreasonable that they should foot the bill for every publicly owned football facility in the jurisdictions they got their money from.

I know it'll never happen.... literally NOTHING I've proposed here will ever happen. But it's far from "unreasonable" to take positions that the NFL should give back a lot more than they've done so far.

Paying say $2M for fields for stadiums in already ill-repair is not a good investment.

NFL (rightfully) deceived the public and put millions into the VICIS helmet..that didn't work either!

The Atlantic profiled VICIS and their cash erosion weeks before closing. Now thousands of HS kids have a helmet warranty for a company out of business. Nice!

College football just celebrated their 150th, yet I did not see the Power 5 Conferences paying for fields.  FOH

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Paying say $2M for fields for stadiums in already ill-repair is not a good investment.

NFL (rightfully) deceived the public and put millions into the VICIS helmet..that didn't work either!

The Atlantic profiled VICIS and their cash erosion weeks before closing. Now thousands of HS kids have a helmet warranty for a company out of business. Nice!

College football just celebrated their 150th, yet I did not see the Power 5 Conferences paying for fields.  FOH

My god... one attempt by the NFL to give back had a problem? Let's toss the baby with the bathwater!

And FOH with the college football comparison. As if there's not an increasingly large segment of the population that doesn't think college sports should exist at all. 

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

My god... one attempt by the NFL to give back had a problem? Let's toss the baby with the bathwater!

And FOH with the college football comparison. As if there's not an increasingly large segment of the population that doesn't think college sports should exist at all. 

Again, it is not one attempt, it is (would be) every attempt.  If Town 1 gets money and Town 3 does not, then the NFL is the bad guy.  They are basically only a bad guy within this thread. 

Once again, the Power 5 schools who have a greater need to "give back" are not. 

No pressers about the dozen Power 5 FBS teams who turn a profit giving money to HS as they are as reliant on their football labor as opposed to the NFL. Cause they don't!

10 hours ago, NicDB said:

You seem to be taking this personal.  Your idea is not practical, not necessary, and not thought out, and you've been given multiple reasons for it.  Let it go bro.  Let it go.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I mean, I've been pretty up front about the fact that these are just ideas I came up with on the fly.  I'm not taking it personally so much as I'm just fed up with this forum lately.  Between the tinfoil hat conspiracy theories in the NFL threads and the tendency for grown adult men to act like a high school clique, this place is no better than Twitter.

I'll probably be doing a lot more lurking going forward.

27 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I mean, I've been pretty up front about the fact that these are just ideas I came up with on the fly.  I'm not taking it personally so much as I'm just fed up with this forum lately.  Between the tinfoil hat conspiracy theories in the NFL threads and the tendency for grown adult men to act like a high school clique, this place is no better than Twitter.

I'll probably be doing a lot more lurking going forward.

Um if you think people disagreeing with you is being cliquey I don’t know what to tell you. We have disagreements all the time. We debate argue ect. And act like adults while doing it. We also know when to take the “L” and move on. We’ve given you plenty of reasons as to why your idea won’t work and you have continued to move the goal posts from “the NFL should play games at these places” to “the NFL should build stadiums and museums in every one of these cities“ to now “the NFL should build all these stadiums out of charity.” It’s your prerogative on if you want to continue posting or not.

I don't know what it's like to lose a debate or argument, but in the unlikely event it ever happens, I'd like to think I wouldn't take it personally.  I'd learn from my errors and come back stronger, ready to demolish the next person who dares challenge my point of view.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived