NHL Refresh 2.0 (League COMPLETE, updates coming...)

JB Designs

Went through a refresh series a few years back when Adidas took over the NHL contract from Reebok. Wasn't really intending on doing another so soon, but one concept  led to another and here we are...

No real order to concepts being released (I have 13 of the 31 completed at this point), so they'll really just come as I get an idea and get each look completed. Definitely breaking from the trend of most teams and really trying to push the envelope wherever possible, so be ready for some out-of-the-box/sacrilegious looks.

Without further ado...

The New York Rangers

The word marks come directly from the Rangers' primary logo, offering a new treatment for both the home and away set. Striping is a blend of the Rangers' two Winter Classic looks, but kept consistent across the two looks. The Shield logo from the 2018 WC finally gets a full time application on the left shoulder, helmet, and pants.

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (NYR Posted 1/31)
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (EDM Posted 3/31)
  • JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (EDM Posted 4/31)
  • 2 weeks later...

The Los Angeles Kings (Mamba Mentality)

LA returns to purple and gold, albeit slightly different shades than the original. LA monogram on the chest and the LA Lion on the shoulders. Striping pattern takes the Gretzky era pattern and adapts it into a full length yoke. 

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (LAK Posted 6/31)
  • JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (LAK Posted 5/31)
On 2/5/2020 at 4:20 PM, JB Designs said:

Los Angeles Kings (Mamba Mentality)

LA returns to purple and gold, albeit slightly different shades than the original. LA monogram on the chest and the LA Lion on the shoulders. Striping pattern takes the Gretzky era pattern and adapts it into a full length yoke. 

spacer.png

I won't lie: I don't like the Kings' old purple and gold scheme. But this -- wow. The new shade of purple is excellent and the gold is a nice twist. Truly a "refresh." And while these are great the way they are, eventually, if some black were added as a nod to the Greztky era, that wouldn't look bad either.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

LA looks mostly great, but I really do not care for the monogram being the primary logo. I've always loved the idea of LA's primary being just a crown; no shields or banners or anything else, just the crown. It perfectly reflects the team name while not needing a single bit of text to state the obvious by letting the colors do that. Just a monogram feels kinda boring in comparison. And unlike the Rangers, LA hasn't had precedent for just having text for their jersey logo.

But otherwise, I think you nailed it. The purple and gold look great together, and it actually makes LA look like they should; black, white and silver is such a boring color scheme in comparison to the gold and purple.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:47 PM, JB Designs said:

The Philadelphia Flyers

The Flyers off-colour namebar gets expanded into a extra large yoke that includes the nameplate and extends down the arm. Striping on the hem, socks, and pants all follows the lead provided by the yoke.

spacer.png

What does this jersey look like with the sleeves stretched out? Where would you put the C and A? It's easy to do the concept if the sleeves are the the most perfect position for your design. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:20 AM, JB Designs said:

Los Angeles Kings (Mamba Mentality)

spacer.png

Not bad, but the full-sleeve yoke is technically separated into two parts, and it looks weird.  The striping pattern across the yoke (below the numbers) is a bit too abstract. 

And agreed with Ridley that a crown would look better than the LA. Second option would be to do something with the "Chevy" logo. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (FLA Posted 6/31)
On 2/13/2020 at 11:19 PM, JB Designs said:

The St. Louis Blues

Putting the Blue in Blues. Pairing the Alternate Blue with the Navy of the primaries to create a fresh new look for the Blue Notes.

spacer.png

Screams Winnipeg Blues to me. Needs yellow, badly.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

The Tampa Bay Lightning

The chest stripe swaps Florida deems, differentiating the Lightning from the Leafs and Red Wings while keeping the same general pattern. Tampa's beautiful roundel logo finds a home on the shoulders and shorts and the wordmark is moved to the helmet. 

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (TBL Posted 8/31)
On 1/25/2020 at 10:08 AM, JB Designs said:

The Vancouver Canucks

Main inspiration comes from the Canucks first gradient alternate in '95 providing both the colour pallet and general striping pattern, both of which were adapted to clean up the look. 

spacer.png

I appreciate the direction you went with this, but honestly this look is way too reminiscent of Calgary as it is, particularly the mid-2000s look.

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (OTT Posted 9/31)

This is excellent; though I wouldn't mind the logo pattern being incorporated into the striping proper; I always love when teams have little quirks like that to individualize them. It's (obviously) miles ahead of the Reebok holdovers the team currently uses.

I'd also add the Peace Tower logo as a secondary logo to compliment the 2D Praetorian Guard logo, but that's personal preference at that point.

Archived