NHL Refresh 2.0 (League COMPLETE, updates coming...)

JB Designs

On 3/27/2020 at 2:38 AM, darkpiranha said:

I like it!  If you're going to do the Robo-Penguin, it needs to go all in like you did here.  It needed more sharp lines to really work.  

Thanks! That was exactly my intent with that one

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dallas Stars

Drew a lot of inspiration from the Winter Classic look to create a fauxback look for Dallas. Broke up the primary logo into a diagonal wordmark, extended the thin yoke into a full-length lenght yoke and moved the Texas arm patch to the shoulders. Pants and gloves are now the same canvas color of the original WC gloves instead of being differing canvas and leather shades. Definitely stepped out of the box on this one. Let me know what you think!

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (DAL Posted 23/31)
On 2/13/2020 at 10:19 PM, JB Designs said:

The St. Louis Blues

Putting the Blue in Blues. Pairing the Alternate Blue with the Navy of the primaries to create a fresh new look for the Blue Notes.

spacer.png

Iron Man GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

AmPJ0Ty.png 

The Buffalo Sabres

The home in this set is unchanged from my Color Rush series from last year except for some collar changes. It's one I've really wanted to make a full set out of, so we finally get the change here. Road moves around some stripes and keeps the shoulder horns inspired by the goat head jerseys and TV number Sabres inspired by the captains patches of the ill-fated turdburger. I still thing I prefer the home to the road, but I think both work well enough to serve as a set. What about you guys? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (BUF Posted 24/31)

Dallas is absolutely beautiful. It embodies a perfect amount of vintage 20’s hockey with the Stars branding. I love it. The A as a star is really nice as well. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 4/4/2020 at 3:04 AM, chcarlson23 said:

Dallas is absolutely beautiful. It embodies a perfect amount of vintage 20’s hockey with the Stars branding. I love it. The A as a star is really nice as well. 

Thanks! 'd love to take credit for the Star-A but that's another hold over from the Winter Classic design as well

52 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

I'm picky about my Stars concepts.

This is one of the best Stars concepts I've ever seen.

I'm from Dallas and grew watching games at the AAC, so I know we're you're coming from.

Glad you like it! Was a lot of fun to work through. It's a crime they don't use Texas shoulder patches anymore

On 4/4/2020 at 1:45 AM, JB Designs said:

The Buffalo Sabres

The home in this set is unchanged from my Color Rush series from last year except for some collar changes. It's one I've really wanted to make a full set out of, so we finally get the change here. Road moves around some stripes and keeps the shoulder horns inspired by the goat head jerseys and TV number Sabres inspired by the captains patches of the ill-fated turdburger. I still thing I prefer the home to the road, but I think both work well enough to serve as a set. What about you guys? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

spacer.png

I feel the sabres below the TV numbers might get a bit lost when viewed at a distance on the away jersey.  I almost wonder if moving them up to be the secondary logo on the shoulders might work better, that way they're on blue backing on both jerseys. It's a nice update either way, though.

And this is admittedly immense personal preference speaking, but I'd love to see how a royal blue and gold Goathead would look on the jersey 😛

The Vegas Golden Knights

I'd like to see a gold Golden Knights jersey as much as the next guy, but we've all seen hundreds of concepts like that already (I've even made two myself). Since the idea here is to go against the grain, I decided to push Vegas in a different direction. The home is meant to resemble the Vegas Nights side of the Knights with a black backdrop and neon inspired striping. I found using black really gave Vegas' secondary colors a nice backdrop to pop off of. The away matches this look and keeps the dark shoulders. In my mind, the black seems to function much better and likely works as a more serviceable alternate than a home in a set, but I still figured it was worth pushing the creativity on.

What about you guys? What do you think?

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (VGK Posted 25/31)

The Chicago Blackhawks

If it ain't broke, blow it up! The Blackhawks have one of best looks in the NHL, arguably even the best, but that doesn't make for very interesting concepts. So we do something entirely different. I'm honestly surprised no one in the league uses shoulder striping. In my mind it creates a nice vintage/modern combined look. Messing with perfection is always going to mess with people, but overall I'm quite happy with how they turned out. 

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (CHI Posted 26/31)

The Anaheim Ducks

The Ducks have an identity crisis on their hands. They've kept their Reebok rebrand while slowly teasing a transition back to their original identity with their alternate. Rather than have the two compete, I figured I would marry the two. Took the orange and black from the current look and melded it with the jade and logo of the original identity. Wasn't really sure where I was headed with this beyond that, but I'm really happy with the final results. Let me know what you think.

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (ANA Posted 27/31)

Ducks concepts in general are amongst my favourites when it comes to NHL concepts. And this concept is really frickin cool! Road is looking really good!

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

Most Ducks concepts feel off to me, especially ones with the old cartoony logo, but this one seems kinda nice! I'd make the name and numbers white at home though.

I agree with people's concerns about Vegas's road jersey... Maybe put the logo on the black shield for that one. Also I'm curious to see the home without white, maybe more gold in its place.

Dallas and Buffalo look great; really unique takes there!

1 hour ago, vtgco said:

Most Ducks concepts feel off to me, especially ones with the old cartoony logo, but this one seems kinda nice! I'd make the name and numbers white at home though.

I agree with people's concerns about Vegas's road jersey... Maybe put the logo on the black shield for that one. Also I'm curious to see the home without white, maybe more gold in its place.

Dallas and Buffalo look great; really unique takes there!

Thanks for the feedback!

I think what I’ve decided to do once I’m through all 31 teams (which is not too far off) is apply some of the feedback and put together a home/road/alt set on a more photorealistic template. 

When that happens, I think the Vegas black is going to become an alternate and I’ll explore a different idea on the primaries.

Went ahead and swapped out the numbers on the home too since its a simple and pretty clear improvement.

The Colorado Avalanche

Like with Buffalo, I've re-purposed an old color rush concept into a full set here. Seeing as the Avalanche are literally named after snow, its only fair to have them lean into white. Rather than reliance on the mountain striping, I've adopted their alternate Rockies logo to full time status and used its snow-capped speak to set the tone for the color balance on each jersey. Whaddya think?

spacer.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL Refresh 2.0 (COL Posted 28/31)

The Minnesota Wild

Original logos all around here. Started by making an M out of the North Stars' N and one thing led to another. Primary is a simple W built out of the North Stars' N with a tree detail in the negative space. Figured it was a fun Idea to hint at the team name just as the North Stars did. Ended up with a faux-vintage look fitting of the upcoming Winter Classic and a cream road sweater because... after all, this series is about pushing the boundaries. Let me know what you think!

spacer.png

Archived