Pharos04

Kobe Bryant Dies in Helicopter Crash

8 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I’ll probably regret pointing this out, but I didn’t.

If you didn't then I never called you, or your opinion, "disgusting."

Man, not going to lie, watching Shaq being honest broke my heart. 

I applaud all 5 men there being vulnerable and showing emotion together. 

Embiid got permission from Bobby Jones to "unretire" #24 for tonight, and Zhaire Smith switched from #8 to #7

EPaGH-kX0AYxqcH?format=jpg&name=small

36 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How the hell is there miscommunication of what is perceived as consent?  That's where it becomes as close to a confession - without actually being one - as it can get.

This was 17 years ago so it's before "active consent" became a standard.  So, look at the Ansari story for parallels (which I won't get into being that there's kids around).

Here's the actual text of the apology:

"First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

"I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now
understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

"I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado."

The key here is that he specifically said that she feels that she did not consent to the encounter.  Was that retroactive? Was that actually conveyed or not in the moment? We'll never know.  Botton line though? This is not a confession.

42 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

Embiid got permission from Bobby Jones to "unretire" #24 for tonight, and Zhaire Smith switched from #8 to #7

EPaGH-kX0AYxqcH?format=jpg&name=small

They should have taken off the NOB.  As for Smith - is he going to switch back?  If yes, then what was the point?

Has any league-wide memorial patch/band been announced?  If there won't be a league-wide thing, I'd expect the Sixers to do something, like I imagine the Lakers would.

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

Has any league-wide memorial patch/band been announced?  If there won't be a league-wide thing, I'd expect the Sixers to do something, like I imagine the Lakers would.

It'd have to be a patch since the whole league already has a band for Stern.

MOD EDIT: You cracked me up, but in the interest of avoiding all out war in this thread, I'm going to step in and ask that we not go there. Fair enough? 

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

Kobe Bryant was not found guilty of rape.

Actually, the charges were dropped. That's not the same as being found not guilty. FWIW, being found not guilty isn't the same as being innocent. My point? Legal :censored: is complicated. 

32 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

MOD EDIT: You cracked me up, but in the interest of avoiding all out war in this thread, I'm going to step in and ask that we not go there. Fair enough? 

Yes!  It’s nice to be in the know on one of these.

46 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They should have taken off the NOB.  As for Smith - is he going to switch back?  If yes, then what was the point?

So he's wearing 7 tonight, then switching permanently to 5.  So... what about 8?  Is some other player a dick if he's like "cool, I'll wear it!"?

45 minutes ago, LMU said:

It'd have to be a patch since the whole league already has a band for Stern.

Two bands maybe?  It's kinda crappy to have a memorial, and then give someone else a bigger or more glamorous one.

Maybe a black one for Stern, and then a purple/gold one right underneath it?  The Lakers can do a patch or something bigger if they want.

46 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Actually, the charges were dropped. That's not the same as being found not guilty. FWIW, being found not guilty isn't the same as being innocent. My point? Legal :censored: is complicated. 

My point is that Kobe Bryant was never convicted of rape. He is therefore not a rapist.

12 minutes ago, IceCap said:

My point is that Kobe Bryant was never convicted of rape. He is therefore not a rapist.

The definition of "rapist" does not contain the phrase "someone who has been convicted, in a court of law, of..."  So he might have been a rapist.  There's only one person that knows.  It's wrong to say "he is a rapist", because it was not proven in a court of law - but that also does not mean that he is not one.  

When I was a kid, I used to steal packs of baseball cards from a local convenience store.  I never got caught.  Never convicted of theft.  But I stole, therefore I'm a thief.  If I ever run for office and someone says I'm a thief, I'll sue them for slander or libel or whatever it is, because in the eyes of the law I'm not a thief - but I am one.

I find myself reminded of the "no one calls you a bridgebuilder" joke

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

I find myself reminded of the "no one calls you a bridgebuilder" joke

Ha. 

I'd imagine they had a blank 7 lying around and added Smith's name on the back or something like that...

The Sixers had Kobe's high school #33 on the court tonight. It would be nice if they put a Lower Merion HS #33 banner in the rafters to "retire" it.

On 1/27/2020 at 8:39 PM, letsgomets1212 said:

A lot of what is being done or proposed is part of the typical knee-jerk reactions we often get when a famous person dies. You see it all the time. I may be cynical, but I think there are many examples. I'm not convinced Roy Halladay is a first ballot Hall of Famer if he doesn't die. I'm not convinced Heath Ledger wins Best Actor if he doesn't die.

Same thing here with Kobe. While his death is tragic and definitely far too soon, it doesn't mean people should be tripping over themselves to do things. What is Mark Cuban doing announcing such a ridiculous thing the day that Kobe dies? 

I always try to view these things through the lens of: would you do these things if the person was still alive? If Kobe had lived a long life and died of old age, would the Mavericks or any other team ever retire his number? Probably not, so why would you do it just because he died young? Would there be calls to change the logo to Kobe if this hadn't had happened? I don't recall many people pushing that idea prior to today.

People need to take time to let horrible events sink in and give the families the space they need to heal, and then down the line find appropriate ways to honor the dead. Jumping to do things before a funeral is even held comes off more as an act of self-interest or self-promotion rather than real respect.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I suppose people mourn and deal with grief in various ways, but kneejerk reactions seem increasingly commonplace these days. It's almost like no form of memorializing can be perceived as superfluous when the emotional wounds are still raw. I suspect that some people like Mark Cuban have good intentions but ultimately like being pat on the back for their gestures since social media makes them so visible. This decision definitely comes off as self-promoting to me.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:37 AM, LMU said:

And you also have the issues that arose with the case itself, mainly that she reportedly bragged to her friends that she slept with him and that she reportedly bragged at a party that she was using his money to buy a koala. The other issue at the time was that the DA, Mark Hurlbert, was facing a tough re-election and overreached with this case as campaign material. Then you also have Kobe defending himself in the media and in the legal system against an anonymous accuser who was only revealed after she was named on the Tom Leykis Show.

To expand on this, the charges were dropped shortly after the prosecution lost the fight to have a DNA expert's testimony that the evidence strongly suggested the alleged victim had sex with another man in the 15-hours between her encounter with Kobe and her medical examination -- which directly contradicted the accusers story -- dismissed.  The accuser's story was that she had accidentally worn dirty underwear to the examination and that the other man's semen was from days before the alleged rape.

I don't know what happened in that room but that (the lie specifically) is a significant blow to the credibility of the person people are blindly willing to believe and it likely made the case impossible to prosecute.