colortv

Knicks Hire Consultant to Boost Brand

Apart from getting rid of Dolan, probably the best thing they could do without sacrificing too much history is make orange their primary color.  It's surprisingly uncommon in the NBA, with the only other teams that even use it playing in the West.  It'd also help them stand out amongst the Mets and Islanders locally.

1 hour ago, colortv said:

Start by spicing up the court, and for crying out loud bring back the orange alternate:

knicks2.thumb.png.69734416124d22867400fb

6RswOCq.jpg

Carmelo-Is-Finally-Getting-Some-Help-cop

hi-res-450109191-carmelo-anthony-of-the-

I'll admit my knowledge of the Knicks isn't as deep as a lot of other pro sports organizations, but I think by not 'spicing up' the court they might be going for the 'we're a classic franchise that doesn't need to resort to gimmicks', which given the current state of the team and perception from the fanbase, isn't an unwise move. 

I'm in agreement over the orange alt though.

If the Bucks had moved, I'd have probably jumped ship to the Knicks... except with the fecal product they keep on insisting resembles an NBA quality team, I'd have either stuck with the devil I know or stopped watching the NBA entirely.

Somewhat to my surprise, I really love their current city jerseys. Clean these up some (i.e. chill out with the "skyline" side paneling) and I think these would be a nice basis going forward. Still a classic franchise style, but also pretty different than anything else they've worn in the dark days of Dolan.

kevin-knox-knicks-city-edition-nba-swing

On 2/2/2020 at 11:35 AM, Chromatic said:

I'll admit my knowledge of the Knicks isn't as deep as a lot of other pro sports organizations, but I think by not 'spicing up' the court they might be going for the 'we're a classic franchise that doesn't need to resort to gimmicks', which given the current state of the team and perception from the fanbase, isn't an unwise move. 

I'm in agreement over the orange alt though.

They've got a nice, vibrant color like orange to work with. In the biggest market in the league, why not use it? This isn't a case like the Celtics where they've got one color.

Just now, colortv said:

They've got a nice, vibrant color like orange to work with. In the biggest market in the league, why not use it? This isn't a case like the Celtics where they've got one color.

I'm in agreement with the orange uniform. I was talking about court designs, and more specifically something ridiculous and trendy where they've got the New York skyline composed entirely of apples superimposed on each individual panel of wood, or something akin to that.

3 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I'm in agreement with the orange uniform. I was talking about court designs, and more specifically something ridiculous and trendy where they've got the New York skyline composed entirely of apples superimposed on each individual panel of wood, or something akin to that.

Nothing outlandish, just adding some orange to the perimeter, sort of akin to what the Lakers do with purple/gold on their court.

When I was growing up in the early 80's in the NY area the Knicks and Nets seemingly lost every night.  They were good for a stretch when I was graduating high school in the 90's and since that stretch went back to collectively awful.  It made it very difficult to care about basketball back then and it makes it hard to give a %$&* about the Knicks now.  They barely get any attention on local sports radio, when in the past at the time they were contenders for the Eastern Conference crown entire shows would be devoted to them.  They barely see the back page of the tabloids now except for when the owner makes an "a double crooked letter" out of himself.

The consultant will tell Dolan to stop meddling, put a winner on the court, and stop throwing a tantrum a toddler would be envious of when someone yells at you to sell the team.  That would fix any issues with the Knicks brand.  Of course Dolan being the "a double crooked letter" he is will do none of the above.

When I was a lad, Patrick Ewing was a monster, and then they added John Starks, and were pretty good - even making the Finals one of the years it didn't matter.

They really ran into some bad luck, peaking in the same era as the Bird Celtics, the Thomas Pistons, and obviously the Bulls - and that's just the eastern conference

That really was the best era of basketball.  Besides those teams, you had Magic's Lakers, Drexler's Blazers, Hakeem's Rockets, Robinson's Spurs, and probably others that I'm forgetting about.  There was also Barkley's Sixers, but they never really contended - but Barkley's Suns had a few good years.  Shaq was just getting rolling too.

They were world superstars in an era before cable / satellite / internet was anywhere close to what it is today.  They were marketable, charismatic, and really really really good.

Due to the lack of internet and cell-phone cameras, we don't know about 99% of the bad stuff they may have did.

Whoops.

Their branding "adviser" went on television, and in his first interview hinted that he would have some role in basketball operations, and that the interim coach wouldn't be staying.

Whoops.

This is the clown who's supposed to improve Dolan's relationship with the fans?  :lol:

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Whoops.

Their branding "adviser" went on television, and in his first interview hinted that he would have some role in basketball operations, and that the interim coach wouldn't be staying.

Whoops.

This is the clown who's supposed to improve Dolan's relationship with the fans?  :lol:

This is Dolan we're talking about. If a man keeps hiring clowns, he should probably be running a circus, not an NBA team.

Wow, I hadn't heard the name Steve Stoute since Puffy / Puff Daddy / P. Diddy Combs had to make him the manager / producer of some Bad Boy musicians as part of a settlement from an assault or something. Looks like he's done well for himself with the money and fame Nas made him. And here I thought MC Serch got all that paper.

This concludes today's "names you didn't expect to see on sportslogos.net" post.

Also, the Bulls and Knicks aren't the NBA's premier rivalry anymore?