2019-2020 NLL Season

AnPheitseog

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/1/2020 at 12:07 PM, GDAWG said:

there are rumors of a Dallas franchise upcoming and based on the ownerships of the NLL teams the owner of the Dallas franchise will either be Tom Gaglardi or Mark Cuban, probably Gaglardi. 

Where’d you hear this? I’d love to dig deeper. I recall a couple years ago Dallas was on the table as a relocation city (I don’t recall the potential owner anymore). 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2 hours ago, Jer15 said:

Where’d you hear this? I’d love to dig deeper. I recall a couple years ago Dallas was on the table as a relocation city (I don’t recall the potential owner anymore). 

https://laxallstars.com/2019-2020-nll-week-1-random-thoughts/

From two months ago, so late November.

The importance of what is being said is enormous.  Let’s start with Vegas. I believe that the comment that the league hasn’t decided if “that is where we are going to put the team,” means two things.  First off, it appears that Las Vegas is pretty much a done deal for an NLL expansion team, and the NLL is simply working out the logistics.  The second thing the comment tells me is that because the arena isn’t finalized, then the 14th team about to be announced isn’t Vegas because as the Commissioner said later, they need the right arena deal, which clearly they don’t have yet.  The sources I have spoken with as to whom the 14th team is all point to Dallas.

The potential owner is only a guess based on the other owners of the NLL teams. 

17 hours ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

Is there any steam behind Las Vegas getting an expansion team soon? The Seals and Mammoth just had their game there which the NLL was really pumping up, and I noticed they had the Vegas Golden Knights' president give a presentation at their league business meeting. 

I think there is. 

the link @GDAWG supplied (I plan on listening to the podcast it talks about today) essentially says that Vegas is going to happen, it's just a question of what arena. When I follow the breadcrumbs I'm guessing that game you are talking about was a test for the Orleans Arena. I saw a few clips myself and it seemed pretty full. 9,500 seating seems about right for the league.

The real interesting tidbit in this article is that the league wants to make players full time employees.

I'm assuming that likely means they won't get to go to the WLA/MSL for summer box or the PLL/MLL for summer field (the article doesn't state that, i'm just "doing the math"). If that were to go through, that could really change what professional lacrosse looks like. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

56 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

The real interesting tidbit in this article is that the league wants to make players full time employees.

I'm assuming that likely means they won't get to go to the WLA/MSL for summer box or the PLL/MLL for summer field (the article doesn't state that, i'm just "doing the math"). If that were to go through, that could really change what professional lacrosse looks like. 

But like the article says, they would have to increase the salaries and a lot of the veteran players would probably balk at.

It's something, if they are going to do it, that'll have to be slowly phased in.

IbjBaeE.png

1 minute ago, monkeypower said:

But like the article says, they would have to increase the salaries and a lot of the veteran players would probably balk at.

It's something, if they are going to do it, that'll have to be slowly phased in.

Oh yeah, for sure. :) 

Phasing in seems to be the only option. Some of these guys have really good jobs outside of the league (again, as the article says) so it wouldn't make sense for them to keep playing if they had to go full time.

Either way, it's all very interesting and very ambitious. I do hope to see the league trend this direction but it feels weird because it's never been this way before. 

I was watching this week's Rundown when I noticed a pattern behind the NLL logo on Devan Kaney's side of the screen... and it looks a heck of a lot like the state of Texas. Could indicate a potential Dallas expansion announcement soon? Maybe I'm reading way too much into it and should find a tin foil hat but thought it was worth pointing out!

Link: 

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

1 minute ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

Where there is smoke, there usually is fire! Lacrosse Bucket is reporting that the NLL registered a trademark for the name "Ft. Worth Panthers" on Feb. 2.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/02/10/where-will-the-nll-expand-next/

The New Dickies Arena could use a primary tenant other than the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo.  

On 2/11/2020 at 6:47 PM, pluggerplugger1 said:

Opened three months ago, capacity listed at 12,200 for hockey. Sounds like a perfect venue.

Sounds like a good fit. 

curious to know who the potential owner(s) are. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Good find, will be watching this one! 

• 2 weeks later...

Great slate of games this weekend! Toronto @ Halifax, the two top teams in the North (and league for that matter); Calgary @ Georgia, reigning champs getting Dobbie back against a hot Swarm team; Saskatchewan @ Philadelphia, the two other division leaders coming off of big weekends.

The Toronto-Halifax game is their free game of the week too, about to begin.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Can't wait for the Wings/Rush game tonight. The Wings were an expansion team who were very competitive but couldn't find ways to get it done in the end at season. They are a well-rounded team that seems to be living up to its potential. Saskatchewan will be a good test tonight.

If it's marketed well, a Dallas NLL team can easily succeed.  The Dallas Rattlers of the MLL failed because nobody knew it existed and MLL did a horrible job at marketing.  The news of it failing didn't even make the local sports telecasts.  

Archived