FOX's Super Bowl LIV Overlay

I'm a big fan of the new graphics, it made watching the game on TV a little more exciting yesterday. I think this new FOX scorebug is a HUGE improvement over what they were using the last few years. I got tired of seeing full nicknames in the old one when a logos or city abbreviations would have been better. However, I still wish they would have gone back to a 2000s-era top bar scorebug. Imagine how great the new scorebug would look if they stretched it out across top of the screen. It would look similar to the 2003 version:

spacer.png

It's an alright score bug. It borrows some elements from two packages I enjoy (ESPN MNF 2006-2007 and the current NBC SNF look), but I can't help but feel this is a downgrade from the 2017-2019 graphics package. I know that the "flat" trend with broadcast graphics has become stale for a lot of people, but I really enjoyed FOX's take on it. 

I don't hate the new one, though. It's certainly better than some of FOX's other score bugs from recent memory, like the 2014-2016 one that I still despise.

And yeah, the TD graphics were pretty obnoxious but I'm certain they'll be toned down come next season.

Overall, I think it's a decent score bug on its own, but a downgrade from what came before.

RIP to a graphics package that's probably in my top three for FOX NFL (along with 2003 and 2010-2011

I like the general style, but I'm just not a fan of centered scorebugs. I'd much prefer it to be offset to one side or stretched across the entire bottom or top. I did like the graphics that came out of the sides with stats for each team, though. I also wasn't a fan of using the team fonts for graphics, just because the 49ers' one does not at all fit the style of the rest of that graphic. It just felt like someone made a mistake somewhere. I do like the touchdown graphic that covered the bottom third, I thought it looked really nice aside from the illustration and definitely made the game feel special. 

I like these new graphics. Before kickoff, the graphics alone had me thinking we'll see something in the style of the 2003-2006 scoreboard, but instead we got that clashed with elements of the first MNF scoreboard of the ESPN era. Pretty sure we'll see some modifications for the upcoming regular season and/or XFL games to clean up the on-field down and distance. I'm really intrigued to see what fonts we'll see (and how they look) for the other 30 teams in the league (or at the very least, every other team that will have a game on Fox next season). One thing I'm almost certain of is that we won't get the comic-book player figures for their TD scoring plays. Can't imagine that's worth showing off outside of a Super Bowl. I think the TD graphic will look more like it did for non-featured players if no changes are made on that end

iIbmSF4.png

Edit: Just food for thought if it's worth a discussion, but what fonts do you think the other teams should get? Obviously, some teams we might have to wait on depending on whether new uniforms or logos will come with a new font. Someone had brought it up on another forum site and I decided to take a deeper dive here.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

Archived