AAFL: 1988--? New uniform template p. 6

WideRight

Here are two more team logos.  I think DC could certainly have existed in 1988.  Not as sure about San Francisco.  I am calling them Golden Bay because the team will play some games at Cal, some at Stanford and maybe some at SJSU.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When replicating a certain era, I usually use a heavy amount of references to different logos from the era, sports or not. I look at each of the Big 4 at that time to see the style, then I look at the real thing, so let’s say the sharks, id look at logos from that era, maybe find a shark logo from that era if there is one, compare it to a real life picture, see what they took from the picture and made into the logo. Then I try and replicate the style by using the same technique I deducted was used for the other logos from that era. If it comes out wrong or too similar to another logo of that era, I restart. I also do this on paper, especially if it’s from a pre-internet era. Hope this helps! 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, Blindsay said:

I got one word to help ya get started with that 80s vs 2020s predicament
Neon.

Huh, not too many teams in the 80s wore neon, in fact more probably do now. I would advise using almost no depth in your logos.Like these, spacer.pngspacer.png

Excellent!

I took the critique that the LA and the Dallas logos were perhaps too modern to be part of a 1988 football league. So, here are two versions (one based a bit on the Durham Bulls and the other on the Arena league's 1988 LA Cobras).  I think these are definitely more along the lines of what we might expect in 1988. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I took the critique that the LA and the Dallas logos were perhaps too modern to be part of a 1988 football league. So, here are two versions (one based a bit on the Durham Bulls and the other on the Arena league's 1988 LA Cobras).  I think these are definitely more along the lines of what we might expect in 1988. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Both are really good! Just some small critiques, I’d remove all the outline on Dallas, or remove the silver one and make the white one silver (if that makes sense) for LA, the only thing is outline the tongue like you did the rest of the snake. I love both updates! LA especially!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Here they are, the new more-80's renditions of the 10 inaugural franchises of the AAFL (1988 start).  These will be up on https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php soon.  On that page you can read the alternate history of this football league.  Here I will post the logos as they evolve over time, along with any expansion franchises.   

First up is the East:  Atlanta, New York, Orlando, St. Louis and Washington. 

You will see I simplified a couple of logos and changed NY from the Nighthawks to the Knights. 

spacer.png

Now the West:  Colorado, Dallas, Los Angeles, Oakland and Seattle. 

Yes, this early version of Seattle borrows pretty heavily from the Colorado Avalanche secondary logo.  It won't last long.  A new Seattle logo will be coming soon.  A lot of the 

teams are likely to have not only logo changes, but full identity or city changes over time as the AAFL battles the NFL. 

spacer.png

Next up Helmets, then Uniforms.  

Guest darkpiranha

Looking great!  

Atlanta- Still looks really sleek and modern.  

Knights- Of all of them, feels the most 80's.

Tropics- Great.

Rampage- Fantastic 

Warriors - Great.

Rangers- Is that an arrowhead or a badge?  Love the feel of it.

Rawhides.  Better logo, but that font is unreadable.  

Stars- I take it back. THIS is the most 80's of the logos.

Sharks - sleek.

Sasquatch- Fun.

Overall I love the logos.  I think it's probably the sleekness and the fonts that make them look more modern.   

Looking forward to reading about the league.

You’ve improved the logos big time! The only one I’m a bit worried about is Atlanta, I think a more Michigan St inspired approach would look more era appropriate. 
Your fonts on the other hand are all a bit modern, I think the Stars are the only one which I think works, some work more than others, but Seattle, Colorado, Oakland and Atlanta/Orlando (the fonts are very similar) definitely need a more retro-y vibe. 

3YCQJRO.png

The AAFL and Champion outfitters are proud to announce the 1988 inaugural uniforms for the five Eastern Division teams:  Atlanta, New York, Orlando, St. Louis and Washington.  Each team will have white away jerseys and dark home jerseys, one set of pants and socks.  Each jersey features the team nickname in a collegiate-style nameplate.  These are leaguewide design features to create unity while allowing each team its own unique identity. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived