AAFL: 1988--? New uniform template p. 6

WideRight

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry all.  I haven't posted in a while because I am busy filling in the storyline over on https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php.  It took a while to get through the player acquisistion phase and start the 1987 season of the AAFL.  My next two art projects will be the championship game logo and then the two 1988 expansion teams (required by the TV contracts).  So, I should have new graphics up soon. 

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

Sorry all.  I haven't posted in a while because I am busy filling in the storyline over on https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php.  It took a while to get through the player acquisistion phase and start the 1987 season of the AAFL.  My next two art projects will be the championship game logo and then the two 1988 expansion teams (required by the TV contracts).  So, I should have new graphics up soon. 

Awesome!

Big news from the AAFL.

1. As per their bylaws, the city whose team is the top seed in the playoffs is the host of the league championship, the All-American Bowl.  With Orlando finishing the season at 11-2, they are hosting the championship.

2. The finalists for the two 1989 expansion teams are down to 5.  Let me know your best guesses as to who it will be.  Remember that the league is required to add 2 more teams from the top 15 markets in order to maintain their TV contracts. The 5 finalists are:  Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Houston and Phoenix. 

And, here is the league logo for the first ever All-American Bowl - AAFL Championship Game.  (Remember it is the 1980's)

spacer.png

Hey everyone, after an exciting 28-24 Orlando Tropics championship for the AAFL in 1988, the league announced their two new teams for 1989.  Get the full story at https://ahsports.boardhost.com/, but for now, here are the two new teams (to be headed up by Joe Bugel and Walt Michaels.)

CHICAGO HOGS-- A tribute to Chicago's livestock industry and a team name designed to go along with the Bears, Bulls, Hawks and Cubs.  The Hogs wear maroon as an homage to the early days of Chicago football at the U. of Chicago.  They also wear a stylized C on their helmets, because Chicago. 

spacer.png

Detroit is owned by Adolf Taubman, who previously had owned the Michigan Panthers.  Let's just say he did not stray too far from his old team with his new Mustangs design.  He even hired Walt Michaels, who coached the team (merged with Oakland) during the last year of the USFL.  So, evoking the days of Hebert and Carter, it's a return to burgundy, champagne and sky blue. 

spacer.png

I kinda think I would've put the hog inside the C instead of on top.

Love the Panth ... uh, Mustangs!! Always was one of my favorite color combos ever.

As an aside, WideRight, do you have a website with all of your designs? I know you've done a ton, but I enjoy yours quite a bit. 

Guest darkpiranha

Love both logos and even really like the hog riding on the C.  However, I wonder what it would look like if the C was angled forward a bit to match the slant of the wordmark?  It would give the logo a bit more speed and forward momentum.

We are in another logo gap as I work on the 1989 season.  The two expansion teams are in, and there will not be expansion in 1990, but one of the teams will have a new owner and that owner will change the team identity.  So, here is the idea:

After a year as a league-run team, the LA Stars are bought by David Packard of Hewlett-Packard fame.  He is not enamored with the Stars and wants an edgier team.  He picks colors that he hopes will attract LA's large Mexican population, along with a more "rebelious" logo and name.  Here, after several versions, is the logo for 1990's LA Vipers. 

spacer.png

Note that the idea here is that the existence of the AAFL means that the Arena Football League never gets off the ground, so some of the designers who created AFL branding are now working with the AAFL and some of the logos, like that of the Arizona Rattlers, find themselves in the AAFL, modified for this league but retaining a lot of the identity we saw in arenaball.  The same will likely happen with WLAF/NFL Europe as we move forward. In this case, the updated Arizona Rattlers logo is transformed into the identity of the LA Vipers. 

On 3/1/2020 at 11:59 AM, WideRight said:

We are in another logo gap as I work on the 1989 season.  The two expansion teams are in, and there will not be expansion in 1990, but one of the teams will have a new owner and that owner will change the team identity.  So, here is the idea:

After a year as a league-run team, the LA Stars are bought by David Packard of Hewlett-Packard fame.  He is not enamored with the Stars and wants an edgier team.  He picks colors that he hopes will attract LA's large Mexican population, along with a more "rebelious" logo and name.  Here, after several versions, is the logo for 1990's LA Vipers. 

spacer.png

Note that the idea here is that the existence of the AAFL means that the Arena Football League never gets off the ground, so some of the designers who created AFL branding are now working with the AAFL and some of the logos, like that of the Arizona Rattlers, find themselves in the AAFL, modified for this league but retaining a lot of the identity we saw in arenaball.  The same will likely happen with WLAF/NFL Europe as we move forward. In this case, the updated Arizona Rattlers logo is transformed into the identity of the LA Vipers. 

Here's an earlier version of the snake to make it more Late 80's/Early 90's:

3795_arizona_rattlers-secondary-1992.png

We've reached the end of the 1989 season over at https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php and the AAFL Championship is ready to roll.  As in 1988 the game is hosted by the #1 seed's home city, so in 1989 it is in Denver, Colorado. But, will the Colorado Rangers have a repeat appearance?  

Here is the logo for the 1989 All-American Bowl (No Roman Numerals in the AAFL since the year is the same for the season and the championship game).  

spacer.png

Up next, 1990.  What will change in a year with no planned expansion teams?

Archived